IGNORED

Lies about vinyl vs digital

5 minutes ago, The_K-Man said:

Perhaps they should start looking in the mixing and mastering suites.

Yes, plenty of bad mastering around, also plenty of bad playback hardware. I predict things will improve with the help of our techy/scientist friends. 

52 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Now, if you'd just kept your turntable.. 

No need. I've found a number of needle drops in the deep, dark recesses of the Interweb.  

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

2 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

No need. I've found a number of needle drops in the deep, dark recesses of the Interweb.  

The majority of them are nowhere near as good as their posters believed.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

who told you that?

So you agree with Rexp that most digital sounds bad ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

9 hours ago, fas42 said:

I am very demanding ... which is why I dismiss, immediately, nearly all high end rigs I come across - they are getting so much wrong, and making  a mess of a recording I know well - to me, at that moment, they are no better than an AM radio - a very old VW, in Porsche clothing ...

The "problem" is that the mastering is of a type that makes added distortion from the playback chain very, very obvious ... you see, I use those styles of recordings that John is processing, in their original form, to assess my progress in optimising  - they "make it difficult" for the system, and tell me how 'robust' the playback integrity really is.

Otherwise, it's like having a Mercedes which you can't drive over certain, everyday roads - they have "nasty bumps", and the suspension bangs and crashes trying to navigate them - the engineering is not up to scratch.

Why are there all these remastered Yes albums? Because people didn't like how the original one, with "the guts, the verve, the sparkle, the depth of captured music" sounded on their setups - so, there was a market for the "baby food" versions. "Inadequate" is a subjective decision, not an objective one.

We are discussing formats here and sound quality. A badly mastered album may help you trace down "problems" in your setup but that all its good for.

As for why all these remastered albums? Profit.

It has nothing with people not liking the original; audiophiles are a minuscule, rarefying minority and as such they're an insignificant fringe of the overall market. Normal people won't have 3 releases of Time Out, 5 of Kind of Blue and 12 of DSOTM...

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

10 hours ago, fas42 said:

I am very demanding ... which is why I dismiss, immediately, nearly all high end rigs I come across - they are getting so much wrong, and making  a mess of a recording I know well - to me, at that moment, they are no better than an AM radio - a very old VW, in Porsche clothing ...

The "problem" is that the mastering is of a type that makes added distortion from the playback chain very, very obvious ... you see, I use those styles of recordings that John is processing, in their original form, to assess my progress in optimising  - they "make it difficult" for the system, and tell me how 'robust' the playback integrity really is.

Otherwise, it's like having a Mercedes which you can't drive over certain, everyday roads - they have "nasty bumps", and the suspension bangs and crashes trying to navigate them - the engineering is not up to scratch.

Why are there all these remastered Yes albums? Because people didn't like how the original one, with "the guts, the verve, the sparkle, the depth of captured music" sounded on their setups - so, there was a market for the "baby food" versions. "Inadequate" is a subjective decision, not an objective one.

The problem is not just remasters, many rock and pop and other genre newly produced albums are being released with poor mastering.

This is Radiohead's "Nude":

mGHPXjL.jpg

35 minutes ago, semente said:

The problem is not just remasters, many rock and pop and other genre newly produced albums are being released with poor mastering.

mGHPXjL.jpg

I wouldn't call this great remastering, would you ?

Neil Diamond-Sweet Caroline MQA

Neil Diamond- Sweet Caroline MQA.jpg

6 hours ago, Teresa said:

You have this incorrect or perhaps you didn't mean what you typed. 

Sorry, this comment was intentionally heavy with irony - I was reacting to John constantly invoking the feralA demon, when talking of recordings he came across ... 🙃.

1 hour ago, semente said:

We are discussing formats here and sound quality. A badly mastered album may help you trace down "problems" in your setup but that all its good for.

It works better than that ...much, much better, in fact. One is able to "hear through" the deficiencies, and connect with the music making ... after all, I thought that was the point of the exercise - I still hear the echo of "Just enjoy the music!", being repeated over and over again ...

1 hour ago, semente said:

Yes, out of control compression is a problem, currently - down the track clever software, like John's, will undo this messing up; what he's doing is showing that the right algorithms can extract the musical content, and reorganise it with minimal 'damage'.

1 hour ago, SJK said:

But doesn't that make the argument for the LP in this case.  I have the first release CD and the Special Edition CD, both have the same clipping.  The file below is what I recorded from the LP.

Edit - The Radiohead Nude track, not the Neil Diamond.522104595_RadioheadNude.thumb.jpg.ccb58294dedcc5c075555e1c0ae80aa0.jpg

If you can afford to own two source systems and aren't disturbed by vinyl's distortion footprint then it makes a lot of sense to get the best release.

I listen mostly to classical music and that sounds a lot better in digital so it doesn't really bother me much.