IGNORED

Lies about vinyl vs digital

If you don't mind ... I don't see what the "lies" are in your phrases. Example :

Is this the lie :

Lie: vinyl suffers from a lot of distortion

or is this the lie :

but why do my LPs sound more live and lifelike than my digital?

?

And that of course, how you pose it. Because I don't see lies anywhere to begin with. But another example :

so why do my LPs display vastly better dynamic power/force?

That could be a lie, yes.

Maybe you can change your OP and put it forward a little better (especially for me - haha).

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Back in the 80's, my vinyl system was so sucked and with the debut of CDs and CDP,  with the same price, I had a better SQ.  Since then, I never looked back at the LP expecting it to improve whereas the digital gears and music are improving day by day. 

MetalNuts

16 minutes ago, adamdea said:

As ever your contribution might as well have been scripted as demonstration that being an audiophile is less a hobby than a way of life based on the rigorous pursuit of nonsense, superstition and self regarding vanity.

hey, we are all audiophiles, if you are interested in the playback quality of music.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

9 minutes ago, MetalNuts said:

Back in the 80's, my vinyl system was so sucked and with the debut of CDs and CDP,  with the same price, I had a better SQ.  Since then, I never looked back at the LP expecting it to improve whereas the digital gears and music are improving day by day. 

Yes digital is better than LP.

You have the LP of Avatars?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

1 hour ago, Blackmorec said:

The other aspect of digital vs. Analog that is important is that digital music files and music streams can be ‘reconditioned’, with retiming, jitter and noise removal etc. Once a digital stream has been cleaned up, it must be protected from further noise contamination.

What are your recommended means of achieving that ?

Add the possibility to eQ and rePhase music streams at marginal costs

1 hour ago, semente said:

This piece may interest you:

http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/HFN/goodresolutions/page1.html

http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/HFN/goodresolutions/page2.html

Total Noise Level ‘flat’
20 Hz - 20 kHz
A Weighted
CD-A -92 dB -94 dB
LP -46 dB -61 dB

Fig5.gif

You forgot to mention the vast difference in channel separation ! ;)

Perhaps we should sic the C.I.A. onto GUTB , as he sure doesn't seem to come from this planet !

verb

• To cause a guardian or official to attack or pursue a wrongdoer. (rural Southern)
    He'll sic his dog on trespassers.
  •  The Online Slang Dictionary

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

22 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:
1 hour ago, Blackmorec said:

…….The other aspect of digital vs. Analog that is important is that digital music files and music streams can be ‘reconditioned’, with retiming, jitter and noise removal etc. Once a digital stream has been cleaned up, it must be protected from further noise contamination.

Not just with Digital Audio either. This applies just as much to Digital Video, even with uploaded .ts streams from HD TV !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

14 minutes ago, sandyk said:

You forgot to mention the vast difference in channel separation !

Indeed.

In this page Hi-Fi World explains cartridge measurements:

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/vinyl-lp/70-tests/103-cartridge-tests.html?showall=1

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

3 minutes ago, 4est said:

And the entry level CD players that I checked out sounded worse still IMO. To this day, I will often take a poor mediocre vinyl rig over a mediocre CD player. The caveat is that that vinyl rig would be typically a lot more expensive than it's digital counter part.

I'm not arguing with what you hear(d). I'm just saying that for a lot of people, CD was an upgrade in SQ from vinyl. It's very fashionable these days to say "I never thought CD sounded good". Well, some of the people who say that are full of it. They liked the sound and started buying CDs instead of vinyl. Some of them over time started to change their idea of what sounded better, yes.  Others didn't. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

20 minutes ago, firedog said:

I'm not arguing with what you hear(d). I'm just saying that for a lot of people, CD was an upgrade in SQ from vinyl. It's very fashionable these days to say "I never thought CD sounded good". Well, some of the people who say that are full of it. They liked the sound and started buying CDs instead of vinyl. Some of them over time started to change their idea of what sounded better, yes.  Others didn't. 

Thank you for the vote of confidence... I am not looking to get into it with you about this. It is obvious from your posts over the year(s) that you greatly prefer digital. So be it and who am I to argue. That entry level turntable you describe was one such as found in any home. Typically they were set up poorly and in awful circumstances.. Shoot, I've even seen a turntable on top of a speaker. My simple point was that the first affordable digital players I heard sounded like shit. I was into audio back then, and had friends who worked in the business. I also spent a lot of time building and listening to other systems, especially those of two close friends. It was an interesting learning experience to share systems and insights back when I had the time to really chase audio.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

3 hours ago, GUTB said:

There is a massive proliferation of misinformation regarding vinyl in relation to digital. I realize much of that is just willful ignorance on the part of non-audiophiles / class warfare activists, etc.... however all senior audiophiles seem to know that LPs crush CD and streaming, but if you to get a technical or even theoretical basis for that phenomena by researching it all you find is misinformation about why digital is better.

Lie: vinyl suffers from heavy dynamic compression — so why do my LPs display vastly better dynamic power/force?

Lie: vinyl has less resolution — macro resolution is greater in my digital that’s true, but why is inner detail and tonal color so much better on vinyl?

Lie: vinyl suffers from a lot of distortion — perhaps, but why do my LPs sound more live and lifelike than my digital?

So what’s going on here? Could the issue be that these aren’t lies so much as not accounting for awful ADCs and digital mastering techniques?

A prime example of the rubbish spouted by senior (lol) audiophiles, its just repeating the same mantras and totally ignoring reality and facts...

How do you become a senior audiophile by the way....