IGNORED

How much does it cost to be an audiophile?

7 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

And yet in the instance described you still hear a difference by changing the cable

Perhaps the shielding on the particular cable isn't as good as the replacement cable?

Not all Coax style interconnects have 2 layers of screening which can result in less hum ingress from nearby mains cables.

Neither do they all have the same % of actual screening coverage. This is often specified in the data sheets for the type of cable used.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

...I can hear George thinking....

He probably has a stock of his previous answers to choose from ? :D

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

I suspect that any system where the owner says cables don't matter, I would find to be (a) a cringe worthy sound or (b) a system where someone else did the leg

work in selecting the cables.

An audiophile further afield from me doesn't have the slightest interest in cables; this is the one who uses premium speaker drivers, DEQX, does lots of modding of power supplies. The cabling is by all standards atrocious - long runs of cheap and nasty cable, the sort of stuff you use on a midfi cheapie, it goes all over the floor, under carpets, criss crosses, an electrician's breakfast. Yet, at its peak the setup was capable of producing damn fine sound; not fully competent, but quite superior to many high reaching audiophile rigs I've come across.

Which says what? That everything doesn't have to be ideal, but if enough boxes are ticked then highly involving, satisfying sound can be extracted - it's a case of accumulating enough 'quality points'; if the interim total is sufficient, then the end goal is definitely discernible.

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

I suspect that any system where the owner says cables don't matter, I would find to be (a) a cringe worthy sound or (b) a system where someone else did the leg

Yes, if folks have a mid fi souce a cable change will have limited effect.

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Don't play thick, George.  I've been clear in saying nothing else I tried worked, and that putting new cables in the same configuration as the old did work.

@mansr also mentioned a very prosaic electrical reason that balanced cabling (which could easily cost less than the cables they replace) can eliminate ground hum if that's a problem.

There's no more good reason to say a change of cables can never be the solution than to say they will always make a difference.  Both positions are doctrinaire and neither is scientifically accurate.

Jud,

Is not your example just the exception that proves the rule?  You seem to be arguing a rhetorical point about absolutist language, and your point is a mere truism of sorts.  What @gmgravesis saying, and what the essence of the Great Cable Debate is about, is this Audiophile subjectivist axiom that cables have properties and a "sound" that is not reasonable on any other known rational ground (e.g. standard electrical engineering that otherwise specs these standards out).  The post above by @davide256 is just one example. 

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

12 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

As said previously, if that 100:1 could be reproduced by @manisandher  one more time it would be approaching conclusive (for want of a better word and avoiding "proof"). As it is, IMO, it is very significant (p=0.01).

Hi David, I'm totally confident I could reproduce the results - the bit-identical difference we applied in the ABX remains readily audible to me (and to all the other XXHighEnd users around the world... without exception).

But as for repeating the ABX, I'm not sure. No one has managed to explain what exactly was inadequate in the way it was conducted (other than the possibility of my having heard and correctly decoded key strokes through 2 totally closed doors and a corridor!), and how any such inadequacies would be addressed in a repeat.

It's funny that Mans is still banging on about the possibility of my having achieved the p=0.01 result through sheer chance. Taken out of context, I think it's valid. I mean, had a person been dragged randomly off the street and achieved the same result, it would indeed be 'interesting' and perhaps nothing more. But that's not what happened. There's context here. I invited Mans to my place because I was confident that I could demonstrate that what I was hearing was real - either he would hear it for himself (he couldn't) or I would prove it in a test (I did).

Does anyone really think I would have invited Mans to my place if I wasn't 100% confident that I was hearing what I was hearing?

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

10 hours ago, crenca said:

Jud,

Is not your example just the exception that proves the rule?  You seem to be arguing a rhetorical point about absolutist language, and your point is a mere truism of sorts.  What @gmgravesis saying, and what the essence of the Great Cable Debate is about, is this Audiophile subjectivist axiom that cables have properties and a "sound" that is not reasonable on any other known rational ground (e.g. standard electrical engineering that otherwise specs these standards out).  The post above by @davide256 is just one example. 

Hi, crenca.  I agree that esoteric physics is unnecessary.  What I am also saying, though, is that merely because esoteric physics is unnecessary, it doesn’t mean those who say cabling can never make a difference are correct.  Both sides in this doctrinal argument can be wrong, and then we make no progress.

By progress, I mean helping people to improve their systems and avoid  snake oil.  Think about @mansr's response earlier in the thread: ground currents can occur in systems, but can be addressed (often inexpensively) by balanced cables.  Or if for some reason balanced cables aren't a reasonable alternative, there may be issues of system configuration or cable dressing that might improve things, again for not a lot of money.

@JohnSwenson kicked off one of the most popular topics on the site when he told people how to make (or what to look for in) a good, economical DC power cable.  Someone coming into that thread saying you needed some ultra-expensive quantum linear DC power cable would run into a very skeptical audience, because they'd been armed with correct information beforehand.  And (this is important) it came from someone who didn't say "You're all deluded idiots if you hear any differences," but rather someone who gave solid, simple electrical reasons why differences might occur in the real world environments we have where ground currents and various other forms of low level noise exist.

It's really just as simple as not automatically treating folk as deluded or fools as a knee-jerk reaction when there may be a perfectly simple electrical explanation for what they're experiencing, and in the process helping them to avoid the snake oil explanations they can fall prey to when they're met with contempt rather than assistance.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

11 minutes ago, manisandher said:

Hi David, I'm totally confident I could reproduce the results - the bit-identical difference we applied in the ABX remains readily audible to me (and to all the other XXHighEnd users around the world... without exception).

But as for repeating the ABX, I'm not sure. No one has managed to explain what exactly was inadequate in the way it was conducted (other than the possibility of my having heard and correctly decoded key strokes through 2 totally closed doors and a corridor!), and how any such inadequacies would be addressed in a repeat.

It's funny that Mans is still banging on about the possibility of my having achieved the p=0.01 result through sheer chance. Taken out of context, I think it's valid. I mean, had a person been dragged randomly off the street and achieved the same result, it would indeed be 'interesting' and perhaps nothing more. But that's not what happened. There's context here. I invited Mans to my place because I was confident that I could demonstrate that what I was hearing was real - either he would hear it for himself (he couldn't) or I would prove it in a test (I did).

Does anyone really think I would have invited Mans to my place if I wasn't 100% confident that I was hearing what I was hearing?

Mani.

Obviously you don't have months to spare to do this, but it would be interesting to see how long it would take for you to train someone to reliably hear the changes you (and other XXHE users) do.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 5/26/2018 at 10:49 PM, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

On any journey, flying first class costs money (so I am told).

My only "experience" was when my wife volunteered my 'services' to attend to a passenger on a flight. As a show of appreciation the stewards placed my wife in first class and gave her free champagne. How is that fair??

you can  have a journey just by buying and selling used stuff and never have to pay much at all, and as technology improves and new products come out, you can get better and better for less....and if you are really good, you can have a journey where you actually profit from the buying and selling....i know that i have made far more money on stereo equipment than i have invested, and it has been a journey for sure.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

It's really just as simple as not automatically treating folk as deluded or fools as a knee-jerk reaction when there may be a perfectly simple electrical explanation for what they're experiencing, and in the process helping them to avoid the snake oil explanations they can fall prey to when they're met with contempt rather than assistance.

48 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Funny how things stay the same... in the 80's it was all the engineers saying that Denon and Technics TT measured better, that a Linn Sondek LP12 had no measured basis for sounding better... which to me just demonstrated there was very weak correlation between what mattered to human hearing and the measurements they were using to draw conclusions from.

I appreciate your irenic and reasoned explanation Jud, I really do.  I admit that such patient and considerate dialogue has its place not only here, but in all of human endeavour and relating.  I suppose for someone like yourself (a lawyer if memory serves - retired probably?) it is central and crucial not only personally but professionally - how else is conflict mitigated, if not resolved?

To answer my own question:  lots of different ways, most of which I don't readily understand (and that's ok).  In other words patient and reasoned "dialogue", free from "knee jerk reaction" is only one tool in the box, and is not applicable in every situation, every job.  Indeed dialogue is probably one of the most overused and abused tools in the shed (to mix metaphors just to keep it interesting) second only to the venerable knee jerk reaction itself.  

To the modern man and consciousness, dialogue itself rises to a sacred level.  It and only it can solve all that ills man and the universe.  Just watch any Star Trek episode.  I am not a modern man however, and in the venn diagram of life the overlap of Reason and Dialogue is actually pretty small.

I say all this so that you understand the below, which is my response to @davide256 ?:

image.jpeg.71ac6305033a8c7cbcd1ec0ffcb2a20e.jpeg

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

16 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

And yet in the instance described you still hear a difference by changing the cable

What are you trying to prove? You know as well as I do, that when we discuss interconnect sound, ground loops are not what we're discussing!

George

14 hours ago, crenca said:

Lemme fix this for you: "I suspect that any system where the owner says interconnects don't matter, I would find to be owned by someone who has done his due diligence and knows that short runs of coax designed to be conductors and not filters in all probability cannot alter the sound of his system, so he buys well made competent cables rather than useless expensive ones."

There that's better! :)

George

15 hours ago, Jud said:

@mansr also mentioned a very prosaic electrical reason that balanced cabling (which could easily cost less than the cables they replace) can eliminate ground hum if that's a problem.

Nobody is arguing about ground loops, but yes, that's one of the things balanced connections exist for, to eliminate ground loops

George

2 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Nobody is arguing about ground loops, but yes, that's one of the things balanced connections exist for, to eliminate ground loops

Yup.  So it's one of the things we miss out on when we dismiss accounts of changes in sound due to cables rather than engaging and trying to figure out a reasonable explanation for what may be going on.  If this happened more often and was heard to work by those asking the questions, do you think it might manage to shrink the snake oil market more than dismissal and ridicule (which to me only serve to drive people into the clutches of those who act friendlier, for a price)?