IGNORED

Life Before Computer Audio: What Were Your Personal Golden Days As A Music Listener?

Had alot of fun with 8track and Rega based systems in 70's but it wasn't until I heard a high end turntable at a dealer in mid 80's that listening became a truly religeous experience, system:

Pink Triangle Turntable/Helius arm/can't remember which mc cartridge

Crimson pre/Power

Heybrook HB2 Speakers

I grew up in the Los Angeles punk scene in the late 70's/80's. Going to Moby Disc, Licorice Pizza, Vinyl Fetish etc and buying 45's from unknown punk bands. Many of these bands could only afford 500 pressings, so I got to hear some cool stuff. Trading cassettes of these 45's...seeing all the cool early punk bands live. Later listing to KKGO stoned and discovering Jazz and being able to see Buddy Rich, Miles Davis live. I miss the time when you had to work to find good music. Friends would call you and have you come over to hear a new record and many bands I only heard their music live and not from a file.   I liked that leaving the house was a necessity to find good music and music was for me more about the music than the equipment.

Tough question really.  Golden AGES would be a better description for me as I had one when I was quite young (late teens) that was composed of a Dual turntable, Marantz receiver and KLH speakers.  That system just rocked and we definitely pushed it hard nearly all the time!  Second golden age would have to be love affair with Ls3/5A's, Audio Pro B50 sub, Linn LP12 and Conrad Johnson electronics.  Simply awesome system.  Would listen for hours and hours to ALL kinds of music on that system.

David

3 hours ago, realhifi said:

Tough question really.  Golden AGES would be a better description for me as I had one when I was quite young (late teens) that was composed of a Dual turntable, Marantz receiver and KLH speakers.  That system just rocked and we definitely pushed it hard nearly all the time!  Second golden age would have to be love affair with Ls3/5A's, Audio Pro B50 sub, Linn LP12 and Conrad Johnson electronics.  Simply awesome system.  Would listen for hours and hours to ALL kinds of music on that system.

With the possibility of something Ken Kessler mentioned recently stacked Ls3/5's.

My Dad had a nice system right up until he bought his first CD player in ~1990.  He got rid of his turntable and records.  That Sony CD Changer sounded awful.

I did like listening with friends to new albums.  Or a high school sweetheart.  The fireplace and the record player with her favorite band playing were a good go to...

No electron left behind.

23 minutes ago, Rexp said:

An orchestra leader friend of mine did the same, ditched the records for an awful cd playing system, goes to show just because you can play doesnt mean you care about good playback.

Funny.  My parents were both in the Minnesota Chorale for a while.  I never heard my Dad complain about it though.

No electron left behind.

One of the things I relished those days was my Lenco L75 turntable. I loved that heavy, quietly running turntable. I particularly liked to tinker with the counterweight and especially with those delicate, I presume nylon, thread of the anti-skate control. I don't remember what cartridge I had, I presume it was some Shure model. The turntable was connected to the legendary NAD 3020 (what else at those days), but I don't remember what speakers I used.

I didn't have the equipment with me when I was at university, but whenever I returned to my parents place, the first thing was to lift the Lenco's lid and put Dave Brubeck's 'Blues Roots' on. I still hear the mellow sound of Gerry Mulligan's baritone sax emanating from the speakers. I still have the record somewhere, but no turntable :-))

LencoL75.jpg

NAD3020.jpg

BR_DB.jpg

4 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Nope a Moo U. The best parties were thrown by the Rodeo (Row day oh) Club. And even the city girls liked to wear cowboy hats and boots.

Good to hear you are not a condomized type person...!

best Pac-8/10/12/666 Moo-U is Davis.  I did stints at OSU & WSU...

I went from a suitcase-sized all-in-one stereo in HS (which I have fond memories of, mainly due to listening to Dylan with my gf), to

Garrard, to

original AR, to

Thorens

Ssssssony reel to reel, to 

Advent 200 (Nakamichi) cassette, to

Advent 201 (Wollensack), to

various Nak cassette decks - still have a Nak 680zx, which needs to be repaired

When I was a teenager in the 1980s, owning a ghetto blaster was the greatest thing! I could listen to tapes and the radio at home, as well as when walking around. Showing it off, while walking around with it on my shoulder at school was awesome! 

This is a picture of a similar one I had as my first. I later bought another one that was bigger. The bigger the better! 

bf58b0059a18cb547a835ad8df16c14ef2e6b322