IGNORED

Blue or red pill?

6 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

Do you have a calibration scan of a 10KHz sine wave using your ADC? Something we could compare these scans with without Mani's PC and DAC in the circuit?

Mans has some analogue captures of a 10k tone being played through the Phasure NOS1, taken with the same ADC.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Is there a summary thread?

I'll put something together at some point...

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

On 27/03/2018 at 10:01 PM, manisandher said:

I was listening to the piano transients - were they 'incisive' or 'blurred'/'soft'? With the female vocals, I was listening to her sibilance - acceptable, or too sharp and annoying.

Generally, it's much more about 'focus' than it is about the 'quantity' of any particular thing. For example, I didn't hear more bass, or more highs in one over the other, or anything like that.

What kinds of distortion could produce these effects besides jitter?

Phase distortion, IM?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

1 hour ago, mansr said:

You can't know that for sure.

57 minutes ago, manisandher said:

I know what I heard!

Cut this out guys. Apply your thinking to how bit-identical playback can sound different...

Mani.

No. You don’t necessarily know what you heard. And whilst it is obvious what channel of thought you would like us to go down,  it just doesn’t work that way.

You are not a sound quality measurement device

48 minutes ago, mansr said:

That's news to me.

PM sent to you via CA on 4th April:

"I've taken some 24/176.4 captures from the output of my Phasure DAC. I thought you might find the following two useful in determining the performance of the Tascam ADC..."

Let me know if you need me to send the links again.

Mani.

50 minutes ago, adamdea said:

No. You don’t necessarily know what you heard.

There was a 1% probability of achieving what I did in the A/B/X through guessing alone. Now, if I achieved what I did through hearing some 'tells', where were these 'tells' during the ABXXXXXXXXXX, where I scored 4/10?

Adam, it's clear you're really struggling with all this. As I said before, the red pill can be bitter. But I really have no sugar coating for you.

Mani.

58 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Do we need a thread on Jitter ??

A good idea I think.  Reference clocks, clock chains, clock cables, ever better imbedded clocks, all these seam to be big topics currently.  Jitter has to be at the heart of all this.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

9 hours ago, mansr said:

Sure.

mani-10k-fft-0-20k.thumb.png.fb7e6f3c2e9af43587cbe562c7b390ef.png

mani-10k-fft-9k-11k.thumb.png.9205d29b37dbc74f1f5e80435567d936.png

Here's another plot showing a minor difference:

mani-10k-fft-4k2.thumb.png.2e6a875f7ed2c5b155ab00c50e65116b.png

Those noise floors for a 16 meg or 4 meg FFT look awfully high.  Converted to the bandwidth it looks like not even 16 bit performance and that is without looking at the spikes every 100 hz interval.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 minutes ago, esldude said:

Those noise floors for a 16 meg or 4 meg FFT look awfully high.  Converted to the bandwidth it looks like not even 16 bit performance and that is without looking at the spikes every 100 hz interval.  

It's a 16-bit DAC chip from the late 80s. Go figure.

2 hours ago, semente said:

What kinds of distortion could produce these effects besides jitter?

Phase distortion, IM?

Referring to these comments,

I was listening to the piano transients - were they 'incisive' or 'blurred'/'soft'? With the female vocals, I was listening to her sibilance - acceptable, or too sharp and annoying.

Generally, it's much more about 'focus' than it is about the 'quantity' of any particular thing. For example, I didn't hear more bass, or more highs in one over the other, or anything like that.

This is exactly the type of thing I listen for when optimising a system - blurred/soft transients, or sharp and annoying sibilance are classic markers of faulty playback - a clear indicator of some degree of incompetence of the playback chain.

What kind of distortion? Ummm, I would be hesitant to apply some nicely defined term to it - somewhere, part of the circuitry is not working as well as it should, and I'm far less interested in getting some 'evidence' that reads well in a journal article, than in simply fixing the flakiness that's causing the problem ...

54 minutes ago, mansr said:

It's a 16-bit DAC chip from the late 80s. Go figure.

At this point it sounds like we have an A/B/X test that indicates that the human ear can detect a difference. 

The electronic correlate has has not yet been determined and at this point one could:

1) Do a proper unblinded measurement of both A and B using a low noise, high resolution ADC. @PeterSt suggests with a resolution better than 702khz and you seem to be suggesting better than 16 bits. 

2) Use an input file with a generated pure 10 kHz tone. Make it 24 bits.

I think both are necessary. 

I would also:

3) use a NAS connected via fiberoptic and with an Intel Pro series NIC that writes directly to cache. (DirectIO)

4) use an iSCSI attached local drive with (3)

etc.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

45 minutes ago, esldude said:

In which case it's interesting that my ears could (relatively easily) distinguish between the two bit-identical playback methods, and yet the 24/176.4 captures of the track from the analogue outputs of the same 'not-even-16-bit' DAC, are too "chaotic" for any meaningful analysis.

Mani.

26 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I wish the CA search engine worked right.  Because I'm quite sure I made a post at the beginning of this thread predicting that no matter how well you passed the test the results would be rejected. o.O

There is no basis for rejecting anything — a scientist would repeat the trial — “Science” would like to see the study repeated by a different lab. 

The electromagnetic correlate to the verified observation has not been determined. Such determination require laboratory study ie measurements otherwise there will be endless flailing hand waving. 

The first thing I would personally look for would be a difference in the FFT peak width of an isolated tone eg 10khz or 1khz but this would require a very high resolution ADC.

2 minutes ago, manisandher said:

In which case it's interesting that my ears could (relatively easily) distinguish between the two bit-identical playback methods, and yet the 24/176.4 captures of the track from the analogue outputs of the same 'not-even-16-bit' DAC, are too "chaotic" for any meaningful analysis.

Mani.

No it simply might mean that your ears are better than 16 bits... ??‍♂️