IGNORED

What music player software do you use the most?

What software do you use on the system you listen to MOST  

248 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wow, I wouldn´t have expected Roon and JRiver to dominate this survey so much, and I'm surprised to see so little Audirvana (which I've voted for, as I use it pretty much exclusively).

@beerandmusic Side note: I know this is an audiophile forum, but shouldn't iTunes at least get its own tick box? And what about people who mainly use streaming apps?

Roon now, but before that the very capable but often overlooked iPeng. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

2 hours ago, botrytis said:

I have used Foobar and threw it out the window. Why? it is software that that is designed by committee, plug ins that may not work together, and basically just sounded like crap.

As I said, if it was a problem with Windows, then it would be Universal (example is the Intel CPU flaws). Just because it is widespread does not mean it is a fault of Windows, what is common among all the users having this problem? A great example of this was graphics drivers in Win XP. The drivers were often written very with very sloppy use of memory and could cause major crashes. Win 7 and 8 advanced the specific uses of memory to prevent this issue. Win 10 is even better than the previous ones. Still, the drivers, etc. are dependent on the individual companies to write their own drivers based on the Windows QA system. It is easy to blame the big brother (MS) but it probably isn't their fault at all.

Not sure which plug-ins gave you a problem on Foobar, but complaints about Foobar SQ are close to zero.  The main program is developed by one person.  The most important plug-ins are developed by a close knit group.  You must have tried something weird with DSP.  JRiver is overly featured and would benefit by a features freeze followed by months of concentrating on stability.  That's how great software is developed.  They make the user feel like it is in beta all year long.  The constant modifications cause bugs to pop up.  Lately, many users are having new versions flagged by Windows Defender and rolled back automatically if they have system restore enabled.  The code base is so complex by now likely no one person understands it.  JRiver is very strong in library management and very weak in project management.  The best one can do is find a version which works for the user and turn off automatic updates.

Audirvana - it just keeps getting better and better...

MacMini Quad i7/Audirvana Studio/USBridge DigiOne Signature Player/Schiit Yggdrasil GS/Aragon Palladium 1 amplifiers/Stacked Energy 22 speakers (Reference Connoisseur on bottom & Pro 22 on top) set tweeter to tweeter/Kimber Monocle XL speaker wires/Straightwire Crescendo & Virtuoso IC/Mordaunt Short 309 subwoofers

1 hour ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

Not sure which plug-ins gave you a problem on Foobar, but complaints about Foobar SQ are close to zero.  The main program is developed by one person.  The most important plug-ins are developed by a close knit group.  You must have tried something weird with DSP.  JRiver is overly featured and would benefit by a features freeze followed by months of concentrating on stability.  That's how great software is developed.  They make the user feel like it is in beta all year long.  The constant modifications cause bugs to pop up.  Lately, many users are having new versions flagged by Windows Defender and rolled back automatically if they have system restore enabled.  The code base is so complex by now likely no one person understands it.  JRiver is very strong in library management and very weak in project management.  The best one can do is find a version which works for the user and turn off automatic updates.

My wife works in software development and deployment. Unfortunately that is not how it works.

Foobar sounded like crud and it was the only thing I had installed besides drivers for the part installed.. 

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Thoroughly enjoying Roon -- UI is nice, easy to configure, works with any device providing essentially the same experience.  I do wish the Discover function was a bit more sophisticated (seems I get the same recommendations frequently), though.

Still use JRiver for ripping discs and library management.  It is a great piece of software.

When using Minimserver and BubbleUPNP server, certainly is tough to beat the Lumin app (need to use iOS device to get Tidal integration when I last used it).  BubbleUPNP app on Android is pretty good, but not as good as Lumin to me.

Foobar2000 works fine, but does seem quite cobbled together after you're thrown in the necessary add-ons.  UI is quite dated and doesn't sound as good as JRiver, imo.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

My library is AIFF, a mix of sample rates. I use Audirvana w/Goodhertz Can Opener Studio AU plug in on my desktop/headphone rig, and Audirvana for critical listening on my main stereo.

But, when I want in-sync multi-room playback throughout the house, I switch to iTunes with Airplay, and the Remote app on my phone.

7 hours ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

JRiver is overly featured

You can remove some features if you want, for example audio only.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Simplified_Interface

and would benefit by a features freeze followed by months of concentrating on stability. 

MC22 is frozen.  We're working on MC23.  That's how we work.  I realize you might do it differently.  https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Updates

That's how great software is developed.  They make the user feel like it is in beta all year long. 

The build on the download page changes about once a month.  Newer builds are posted on the forum so people with a greater sense of adventure can try them.  These are usually pretty stable.

The constant modifications cause bugs to pop up. 

You're right.  Bugs happen.  We try to fix them quickly if we can reproduce them.

Lately, many users are having new versions flagged by Windows Defender

Windows Defender has recently been causing more problems.  One of our users started a helpful thread on how it should be set:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114101.0.html

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

JRiver for ripping to my NAS.  MediaMonkey for tag consolidation and some organization (I listen to a lot of metal JRiver hasn't a clue about) and Lumin for playback on my iPad.  Lumin works great.   I see a lot of people using Roon, but I am not sure why the added expense, particularly as one who doesn't subscribe to Tidal, doesn't listen to audiophile music.   Tidal has very little overlap with my tastes I do subscribe to Spotify premium cause Spotify has a killer selection of metal for checking out new bands.  I buy if I listen more than a few times.

On 28/01/2018 at 11:04 PM, mansr said:

BubbleUPnP

...... as control with MinimServer on NAS serving music library

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

17 hours ago, JoshK said:

JRiver for ripping to my NAS.  MediaMonkey for tag consolidation and some organization (I listen to a lot of metal JRiver hasn't a clue about) and Lumin for playback on my iPad.  Lumin works great.   I see a lot of people using Roon, but I am not sure why the added expense.

I like Roon because I don't want to mess with multiple programs and waste hours tweaking tags.  For whatever reason I've always had problems with tags, even bought programs which are supposed to fix them but they are always screwed up.  Many of my files actually had drive letters in the tags.  So the name of the song was K:\Love Hurts.flac etc.  Roon just plain works and doesn't make me mess with file names or tags.  In addition Roon has alot of artist information sort of like liner notes and such.  So you may search by producer or recording studio, etc.  I've never seen any other software do that.  

The problem I had with JRMC, MM and all the others was incorrect tags seem to confuse the software.  You can't just playback an album because it doesn't understand that those 10 tracks are all from the same album.  I end up with multiple artists because one is named Led Zeplin and another is Lead Zeppelin.  I want to be able to play the whole album in the correct order.  I shouldn't have to create playlists to do that.  Roon seems to query it's own database and just understand these things.  Don't get me wrong it's expensive but so is my time.    

JRiver.

It's fine on audio, format conversion, ripping, as a server, DSP, etc, I can't think of anything better for that, and the library handing is excellent, so is the  'zone' feature. But video is a bit of a mess and internet radio is even worse, though I have thought up a neat  workaround for that. But why should I have to? 

And the documentation is   hopeless. In some ways it would be better if it  didn't have any at all  as you wouldn't  waste your time looking for stuff you never find.

The official Wiki is fine on 'getting started' but other than that it is very incomplete. The 'Interact ' forum is full of mostly unanswered questions, and why should people answer? It's not as if they are getting paid.

It would be nice if they stopped introducing more  'features' for a while, fix the documentation,  and got some of the faulty features to work properly before dreaming up new ones.

But overall its fine for what I do (mostly audio downloads and ripped CDs) but I would like to have a 'player central' which it certainly isn't.

Audirvana (on OSX) most. HQP (on Linux) next. Also looking forward to buying or building a new computer at some point in the coming year, which would allow me to run XXHE (on Windows) again.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.