IGNORED

What music player software do you use the most?

What software do you use on the system you listen to MOST  

248 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

itunes works just fine

Actually it does except for it's lack of support for high-definition audio files without a "helper" app such as Amara.  I generally rip my CDs using iTunes (although lately I've been using JRiver) but what transfers my music to my stereo system in my living room is the Logitech Media Server to my Squeezebox Touch and my Squeezebox to the Yggy via coaxial SPDIF. The Logitech Media server gets the music from my iTunes folder on my Mac, but it doesn't actually use the iTunes application at all. I like that as long as the files are in my iTunes library, 16/44.1 through 24/96 files are served by the Logitech Media Server application. 

George

Audacious mostly these days.  Foobar sometimes.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

itunes works just fine

I used to think that, too, but I've run across recordings that iTunes mangles (e.g., distortion on certain notes, brittle highs, etc.) but Audirvana (for example) plays beautifully.

I know iTunes is passing the bits perfectly (for example, if Audio Midi is set correctly, MQA blue light comes on), but there's something going on there . . . 

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

19 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

what bug is that?  I have been using jriver on win10 for years...

Have you checked with support?

It's well documented and discuss in their support forums.  The Win menu quits working and the solution is to sign out and back in again.  JRiver calls it a Windows bug because other programs have it.  IMO, all these programs are using a library which is producing this bug and it's up to them, not MS to fix it.  There is a general my way or the highway attitude attitude at JRiver.

8 hours ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

It's well documented and discuss in their support forums.  The Win menu quits working and the solution is to sign out and back in again.  JRiver calls it a Windows bug because other programs have it.  IMO, all these programs are using a library which is producing this bug and it's up to them, not MS to fix it.  There is a general my way or the highway attitude attitude at JRiver.

I have had no issues with Win 10 and Jriver and I have been using Win 10 since beta testing it. Used Jriver 19,20, 23 also. More than likely it is a program that added older files to the library system, This is a fairly common problem since many programs do not update library systems. 

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 hour ago, botrytis said:

I have had no issues with Win 10 and Jriver and I have been using Win 10 since beta testing it. Used Jriver 19,20, 23 also. More than likely it is a program that added older files to the library system, This is a fairly common problem since many programs do not update library systems. 

Not sure what you mean here, but the problem is widespread.  It's also not universal.  The  main problem with Foobar around here is it's free.  Since it doesn't cost money it can't be any good.

10 hours ago, jhwalker said:

(e.g., distortion on certain notes, brittle highs, etc.)

10 hours ago, jhwalker said:

MQA blue light comes on

Any correlation? :P

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I use Roon on an annual subscription. I switched from JRiver last year. 

I prefer the interface and find it far more stable. The Tidal integration is great.  I was previously using the Linux version of Jriver. It felt fragile and used to crash regularly. None of that with Roon. Also, I wasn't very impressed with JRiver Jim's customer service skills. They ought to keep him well away from that side of the business.

21 hours ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

Not sure what you mean here, but the problem is widespread.  It's also not universal.  The  main problem with Foobar around here is it's free.  Since it doesn't cost money it can't be any good.

I have used Foobar and threw it out the window. Why? it is software that that is designed by committee, plug ins that may not work together, and basically just sounded like crap.

As I said, if it was a problem with Windows, then it would be Universal (example is the Intel CPU flaws). Just because it is widespread does not mean it is a fault of Windows, what is common among all the users having this problem? A great example of this was graphics drivers in Win XP. The drivers were often written very with very sloppy use of memory and could cause major crashes. Win 7 and 8 advanced the specific uses of memory to prevent this issue. Win 10 is even better than the previous ones. Still, the drivers, etc. are dependent on the individual companies to write their own drivers based on the Windows QA system. It is easy to blame the big brother (MS) but it probably isn't their fault at all.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects