22 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

...they shipped pretty quick, but customs was a little slow (based on my personal impatience). The USB to SPDIF is a smart little performer. Cheers...

Sounds good - looking forward to getting it.  Do you recommend using a separate power supply or just power from the USB? 

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, OldBigEars said:

Had the cheapie Douk Audio in my system for about 5 days, converting USB to optical, and I'm completely blown away by the improvement provided by this simple 50 buck device. What's more, I'm finding it works much better in my system using the USB power, rather than a 5v wall-wart (the only option I have in the house). I've never had a more sophisticated DDC in my chain so I can't provide a comparison, but I can clearly confirm that optical connection via the Douk Audio box is miles better than the USB directly into my Qutest.

Can you please post a link of Douk Audio converter?

I'm not sure if this what you are talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/Douk-Audio-Converter-Interface-PCM192Khz/dp/B085XPRSGM

2 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

...depending on your conversion needs, there are a few options, but yes: DoukAudio. Here is what we tried around here...

02E3863E-A922-418F-A012-888D7A46CF9E.jpeg

B25EA8FA-5AA0-441F-AAD9-5FD2511B96D9.jpeg

Yup this is the same item I'm using.  Set up through my OticalRendu was perfect and instantaneous.  No issues whosoever. It plays up to 192 files faultlessly. It's a no-brainer if you've been thinking about trying optical or SPDIF with your Qutest, but find the Denefrips no-return situation a little bit of a barrier.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

Hi all, I have been experimenting again with the Qutest and got a little more SQ from trying. Smaller improvements but positive. I went all out with the EMI absorbing  AB5010 on the circuit blocks and traces on the PCB.

I de coupled the PCB from the chassis to see if this helps but the small improvement seemed to be from the tape.. Less cross talk.?  Great..

I was reading about anti vibration and tungsten footers using Tugsten  and tungsten powder.... also the  affects of vibration on clocks phase noise....

I found a tungsten putty used for fishing weights but it's a tungsten powder weighted elastomer... why not try it to damped the clock on the Qutest and PCB.

I put some on the clock, the FPGA, round both the capacitors and around the the edge of the PCB.

I can say there is a small positive change in doing it... 

But it's now there as another option for people to try on a Qutest or any clock...

I've got more coming to apply onto the SRC DX  and a bit more tape on that PCB... to see if I can squeeze a bit more out...

All this extra clarity is lovely and for not much cost.... even though I've experimented, the cost is £22 to try both...

3M AB5010 I am sure could benefit other units

Tungsten putty.. 36g

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0798Q1CYG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_W1MCHCGBFACF3YY3FRQR

This could be used for around connectors inputs outputs ect...

Any details just ask....

Thanks

Dave20210806_194235.thumb.jpg.50d64d1c3fe8b018ad10abc94aef1b2d.jpg

20210809_171730.jpg

20210809_165605.jpg

20210806_194227.jpg

20210806_193327.jpg

On 8/9/2021 at 10:31 PM, OldBigEars said:

Had the cheapie Douk Audio in my system for about 5 days, converting USB to optical, and I'm completely blown away by the improvement provided by this simple 50 buck device. What's more, I'm finding it works much better in my system using the USB power, rather than a 5v wall-wart (the only option I have in the house). I've never had a more sophisticated DDC in my chain so I can't provide a comparison, but I can clearly confirm that optical connection via the Douk Audio box is miles better than the USB directly into my Qutest.

I’ve always thought a better DDC was a good thing so bought a Denafrips IRIS recently, it worked very well. But then I ran across the PGGB thread and started comparing native rate to PGGB converted files. At this point what I’ve concluded is that listening to 192 and below rates is like limiting yourself to DVD quality video… there’s so much more there that the sampling rate doesn’t resolve whereas using PGGB at 706/24 brings me closer to a high resolution experience even doing USB into a simple Chord Mojo. Reminds of that 1911 film clip “A Walk in New York” which was digitally reconstructed into amazingly high resolution 

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 8/10/2021 at 7:03 PM, Middy said:

Hi all, I have been experimenting again with the Qutest and got a little more SQ from trying. Smaller improvements but positive. I went all out with the EMI absorbing  AB5010 on the circuit blocks and traces on the PCB.

I de coupled the PCB from the chassis to see if this helps but the small improvement seemed to be from the tape.. Less cross talk.?  Great..

I was reading about anti vibration and tungsten footers using Tugsten  and tungsten powder.... also the  affects of vibration on clocks phase noise....

I found a tungsten putty used for fishing weights but it's a tungsten powder weighted elastomer... why not try it to damped the clock on the Qutest and PCB.

I put some on the clock, the FPGA, round both the capacitors and around the the edge of the PCB.

I can say there is a small positive change in doing it... 

But it's now there as another option for people to try on a Qutest or any clock...

I've got more coming to apply onto the SRC DX  and a bit more tape on that PCB... to see if I can squeeze a bit more out...

All this extra clarity is lovely and for not much cost.... even though I've experimented, the cost is £22 to try both...

3M AB5010 I am sure could benefit other units

Tungsten putty.. 36g

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0798Q1CYG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_W1MCHCGBFACF3YY3FRQR

This could be used for around connectors inputs outputs ect...

Any details just ask....

Thanks

Dave20210806_194235.thumb.jpg.50d64d1c3fe8b018ad10abc94aef1b2d.jpg

20210809_171730.jpg

20210809_165605.jpg

20210806_194227.jpg

20210806_193327.jpg

um, why not just cover a side completely with 1 sheet of the 3M material?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Nothing at all.... I've been trying it accumulatively  and at least trying some sort of basis for change... I read it can act a little like a ferrite so kept away for inductors and SMT transformers as this can effect to circuit balance design ?..... The tungsten on the RCA main clock was a nice suprise. Vibration control is  divisive on solid state... Gleaning off research articles on clock phase noise and environmental effects.. I put 2 and 2 together with the putty... it worked and caused a change... Part anti vibration, part localised mass.

I just took apart my SRC DX and applied more 3M tape last night and it's x2 mhz clocks with the putty... more gains again in micro detail and clarity just lovely.

It's frustrating as this is a genuine gain for little effort and cost.. I've spent hundreds on kit and got nothing tangible.... 

The tape I used the minimal as a test... now using more to see if I gain more and it worked on the Qutest and now the SRX DX..

Even if I am not believed in extra clarity, there has been an effect of change...

Gleaning basic knowledge from different sources and applying them as a laymen from industrial fundamentals..

Nice for the moment as it worked and I've got the best sounding Qutest and src dx in the world.....  

I will work backwards again as my isoregen and Intona can have more done as I was Conservative with the 3M and apply the tungsten elastomer mod to the clocks.... 

My chain stays fixed until I've done all the experiments..

It's all been random luck on my part..

Tape and super heavy blu tak. It's that simple..

But a genuine and cheap MOD that's worked in real terms for the price of 2 Starbucks coffees and some cake...

I am sure it would work up the Chord line and anything with a MHZ clock..

I'd be happy with secondary clarification...

But I'll be ignored as a random nutter probably..... out side of people's comfort zone or written off as confirmation bias...

All off.

Industrial EMC RFI mitigation of PCB design. Reflection and cross talk noise.

Design principles of the Audiowise designer..

Tungsten and tungsten powder in application of anti vibration in industrial  applications and audio footers. Elastomers and dampening properties

The effects of environmental factors affecting Mhz crystal oscillators from heat, pressure, radiation and vibration on variations in phase noise...

People here and on other forums.

But a party of one isn't a party...

I've just redone the iso regen and again a modest but more realistic presentation..  vocals, micro details and transients again.. the clock and 3 caps tungsten encapsulated... the bottom side covered in AB5010...

Only small increases but unmistakably there... more focused..20210812_183830.thumb.jpg.22c096a1bfd540da0f491e2329849cb6.jpg

The regen is a little warmer... stone cold on the Qutest and SRC DX. But the Regen is stepping down to 5v...

So happy just the Intona to be redone..

Cheers

David 

20210812_183838.jpg

20210812_190201.jpg

On 8/12/2021 at 5:48 AM, davide256 said:

um, why not just cover a side completely with 1 sheet of the 3M material?

The CHORD QUTEST experiment Intona redux part 2

When your called David how can I not agree... it doesn't come in big sheets (I have.)and SMT PCB Skyline isn't even I did cover both sides with the 3M AB5010  except any inductors or transformers...

I think there is a clock on the clean side of the moat but  I can't find a data sheet or reference.

I ran out of putty so only added the last to the clock? and x2 xilinx FPGAS.... not the capacitors...

I can't stop smiling absolutely no doubt of improvement, the clarity is just lovely. Each step on each device an improvement. Like 5 lenses aligning into focus... NUC...INTONA... ISO REGEN....SRC DX and the Qutest.. 

Both channels reveling new details but the ones already prominent that much more sharper DRUMS VOCALS BASS...holographic sound stage....

This is enhancing the fine electronics only. No one adds this stuff in industry but for compliance or circuit issues...

I don't think anyone in the world has used tungsten doped elastomer  (eco fishing weight putty) as anti vibration/ phase noise reduction enhancer?...

It did something positive anyway..

Pure luck and tenuous links to difference industrial disciplines in electronics have payed off...

As I said it should work on anything...

It just happened to be my Qutest chain..

I should write it up and I've finalised by experiments and put it on the big thread.

Most likely ignored but I can add to the lexicon of audio electronics improvement finally. 

Here's the intona images. I'd copper foiled it to see if that would help shielding 2 years ago...did nothing and I didn't know about reflections then..

My cutting edge is supermarket scissors.... but good god it sounds bloody fantastic now... I wish it had been tested on decent testing kit, pre post changes but my ears will have to do..

Regards all

David

20210813_193453.jpg

20210813_193403.jpg

20210813_180044.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just an update as I just got the Anni headphone amp... its surprisingly good... the first evening I thought oh no.. a day + burn in later

That expensive new headphone feeling or that new DAC feeling....

The Anni gives me all 3 for the price of 1.... If you can audition one even if you moved on to a TT 2 or Dave it might be worth looking at... 

So far really happy with the sound..

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

New problem with my Qutest......out of the blue, one of the output channels has developed an intermittent fault, resulting in no sound coming from one speaker. If I fiddle around with the RCA interconnect, take it off, put it back on....it goes away and the DAC sounds normal with both channels working.  My Qutest is 18 months old. This is surprising and disappointing given the brick-like character of the DAC.  I'll be in touch with the retailer or Chord this week.  My interconnects are AQ Water - quite stiff and heavy. Anyone else out there experienced something like this with their Qutest? 

48 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

New problem with my Qutest......out of the blue, one of the output channels has developed an intermittent fault, resulting in no sound coming from one speaker. If I fiddle around with the RCA interconnect, take it off, put it back on....it goes away and the DAC sounds normal with both channels working.  My Qutest is 18 months old. This is surprising and disappointing given the brick-like character of the DAC.  I'll be in touch with the retailer or Chord this week.  My interconnects are AQ Water - quite stiff and heavy. Anyone else out there experienced something like this with their Qutest? 

I presume you think the problem is with Qutest because you have another source for your Belles Aria integrated amp and that works fine. Except sometimes, it could still be a problem with the Belles Aria input rather than Qutest. Hard to say.

I would say, if the problem recurs, try plugging the Qutest into a different input to the Belles Aria first. Unless you already tried it in which case, yeah, I guess it’s probably the Qutest if other sources are fine with the Belles Aria. Another test would be to reverse the left & right from Qutest to your Belles Aria (as in left Qutest feeds right Aria and vice versa).

I doubt the weight of the AQ Water cable would be the cause of the problem. That said, I am aware of somebody (not me) who had a Blu2 and uses very thick and heavy and inappropriately long dual BNC cables that seems to pull down on the BNC plugs of the Blu2 so putting a little bit of support under the cable seemed to help stabilize the connection.

Just reading about Belles Aria too… Too bad it doesn’t talk about gain/sensitivity. Would be nice to know if the optimal setting for Qutest is 1V/2V/3V. I’m guessing 2V but impossible to know. I guess you can figure it out by listening.

2 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

need to do basic trouble shooting here...

1. use a different set of cables and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, theres an issue with the original interconnects.

2. If it does with the new cables , reverse the cables at the Qutest and wait for the problem to reoccur. If it switches sides then the issue is at the Qutest.

If it doesn't switch sides the problem is with the Belles Aria

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 hours ago, ecwl said:

I presume you think the problem is with Qutest because you have another source for your Belles Aria integrated amp and that works fine. Except sometimes, it could still be a problem with the Belles Aria input rather than Qutest. Hard to say.

I would say, if the problem recurs, try plugging the Qutest into a different input to the Belles Aria first. Unless you already tried it in which case, yeah, I guess it’s probably the Qutest if other sources are fine with the Belles Aria. Another test would be to reverse the left & right from Qutest to your Belles Aria (as in left Qutest feeds right Aria and vice versa).

I doubt the weight of the AQ Water cable would be the cause of the problem. That said, I am aware of somebody (not me) who had a Blu2 and uses very thick and heavy and inappropriately long dual BNC cables that seems to pull down on the BNC plugs of the Blu2 so putting a little bit of support under the cable seemed to help stabilize the connection.

Just reading about Belles Aria too… Too bad it doesn’t talk about gain/sensitivity. Would be nice to know if the optimal setting for Qutest is 1V/2V/3V. I’m guessing 2V but impossible to know. I guess you can figure it out by listening.

I'm pretty sure it's a good old-fashioned loose connection on the red input. Not an issue with the amp.   Wiggling the IC fixes it temporarily.  I need to get my Qutest back to Chord asap.

Concerning the gain/sensitivity with my Belles, I use my Chord at iV for best results, enabling less volume attenuation.  

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

I owe you all a follow up....I didn't want to post until I'd concluded all my testing and really tracked down the source of the problem, which was...the speaker cable / connection.  It had nothing to do with my Qutest after all and all is now working normally.

Nice to know it's something simple and cheap.. Fault findings great when you have 2 of everything spare..

I fell foul of my own tinkering and took me ages to find the issue...😆

But learned Chord do have a fair out of warranty repair policy...

Dave 🙂

• 1 month later...

I have been sifting through this thread with interest.

I am not really a tweaker but some very interesting posts on here have me really intrigues.

My kit -ROON- Pi4 with Riopee feeding the Qutest DAC by USB (just ordered a TQ Ultra Black cable).

I use the standard PS to the Qutest to my amp solely for headphone use

What do you think could be the simplest way to make an improvement ton the current set up?

11 minutes ago, ecwl said:

First, a bit confused about your system as it says you had Devialet. 

Anyway, in answer to your question, I’d ask a different question: what causes the most problem for Roipee+Qutest that could worsen the sound?

Presumably it should be the ground loop leakage current that can get from the Roipee power supply through the USB cable into the Qutest and exiting through the Qutest switching power supply. Because even with good galvanic isolation from the Qutest USB, it’s impossible to block out all the noise. It can be more complicated than that as noise from ethernet router to the Roipee or noise travelling downstream to your amp would matter too. But let’s simplify. 

So if you don’t need >192kHz streaming, the simplest solution would be to buy a cheap USB to Toslink adaptor and use that to connect Roipee to Qutest. Qutest comes with a cheap Toslink cable that works. To me this is the cheapest solution and also the most effective. 

Because alternative solutions means you’d have to use linear power supplies or battery power supplies to power the Roipee and Qutest and even then the same types of noise can leak through upstream from the router to downstream to the amp. 

The Devialet is in the system downstairs

This is for HP use. PI4-Qutest-Niimbus US5Pro- Abyss1266TC

I see your point, so am I wasting my time with the new TQ USB cable purchase.? Or do you mean use this with the Toslink Adapter?

I am assuming you mean the Qutest is best used with Toislink rather than USB?