IGNORED

Stereophile Series on MQA Technology

18 minutes ago, seldomheard said:

I'll answer that question with a better question. How many people who have accounts here on a percentage basis have listed their employer's id?

15 minutes ago, seldomheard said:

My comments stand on their own. They have no bearing whatsoever on any "competitor" - simply pointing out falsehoods in a "technical presentation" that only a technical person would know.

False equivalency. 

Our rule stands. Identify yourself, if you’re in the industry, or you’re gone. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Just now, mansr said:

Why? He says he has no current industry affiliations. Do you have proof otherwise?

Its like saying you can comment anonymously on the weekend because you aren’t working for anyone. His language and some searching lead me to believe he has violated the rules of CA. This has zero to do with the subject matter. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

8 minutes ago, rwdvis said:

At times, the dishonesty of some here is astounding.  Did you miss the point(s) on purpose?  Did I say anything about banning, industry worker, or forum rules?  Read again.

"Record breaking response time, Chris.  Within mere minutes?  It usually takes at least a few months before you come to realize and act against the pro-MQA shills.  The MQA critics, on the other hand, within minutes.  Also, seems the more effective and knowledgeable the critic, the quicker you respond.  Interesting to witness."

The critique was regarding response time and swiftness of action.  With shills who’s positions seem to benefit the site and/or owner, response time from Chris is slow, and decisions labored over (for seemingly ever) before actions taken.  Every possible benefit of doubt is given and common Chris replies include:

“Well, I can't read all posts.”
“I can’t be sure that X is a shill/industry affiliate/etc.”
“I like to take a soft approach to moderating.”
“Never received report by members.”

In the most recent example, response time was instant and without benefit of doubt.  These actions have become more common and more obvious in the MQA threads.

How quickly does he respond to others who are suspected of shilling and/or of being industry affiliates?

And by the way, as some have mentioned, there is some doubt as to whether the banning was justified, but Chris has zero interested in entertaining those thoughts at all.  The member did not refuse to acknowledge any industry affiliation, it’s not known whether he is currently affiliated or not.

Now you're stating things that are 100% false about me. 

My response time has to do with what I'm currently doing and if posts get reported by the community. Facts are facts, you can't have your own. People reported this guy because of his language. I read his posts and the big "tell" was the following statement:

22 hours ago, seldomheard said:

My boss would fire me. We have to sell product in this whore of a market.

His own words indicate he's currently working. You said, "it’s not known whether he is currently affiliated or not." You're twisting the facts to fit your narrative. He admitted to working with his own words.

I know who he is because I did some searching. 

I encourage you to read this and all the MQA threads. Count the number of posts for and against MQA. If your logic holds true, there should be many more pro MQA posts and a host of banned people that are against MQA. The reality is, you aren't using facts. You're going on a feeling you have. Again, find a larger area on the internet than CA where anti-MQA voices can be heard. You won't. 

You also said, "With shills who’s positions seem to benefit the site and/or owner, response time from Chris is slow." You are in a 100% fact-free world if you believe what you wrote. You have no idea what benefits the site and are showing a complete lack of knowledge  with respect to how to run a business. I don't blame you for not understanding this, but I do blame you for proving it without a doubt. 

15 minutes ago, rwdvis said:

“People” sure seem quick to report behavior of MQA critics.  I’ve seen plenty of bad language occur all over the site, but lightning-fast reports only seem to be made against certain critics at certain times.  Did it ever occur to you that it’s possible this trend might have something to do with a group of pro-MQA affiliates and shills within the site?  Something to think about the next time these selective rapid reports come flying in.

Did it ever occur to me? Come on, give me a little credit. 

Are you suggesting this specific person's language was OK, or that you just have a feeling about plenty of other bad language?

17 minutes ago, rwdvis said:

You’ve also stated elsewhere (in the MQA is Vaporware thread, I believe) that only a small percentage of consumers actually read the MQA threads on this site, so it's not surprising that you allow some critique.

Conclusion:

Additional site traffic
Average consumers won’t see or understand MQA critiques anyway ("doesn't move the needle")
Present a faux-neutral position rather than a healthy dose of skepticism and investigative reporting
Step in with frequent “friendly” advice (and banning) for critics on how to proceed in a more gentle manner (ie., don't say too many bad things about MQA).

Twist whatever you want in your seemingly post-factual world.

This latest person to be banned would have driven more traffic because of his posting style and the content of his posts. However, rules are rules. Facts are facts. 

Please stop leading the post-factual charge. 

The thing about being beholden to MQA puzzles me. Not the idea that some people or publications are beholden to MQA, but the reasons why anyone would be beholden to MQA. 

Even the user seldomheard was scared to reveal his identity for fear of not being hired in the future because of his anti-MQA comments. 

If people like and support MQA that’s fine. If people dislike MQA that’s fine. 

People in the industry are looking at MQA as the MOB for some reason. Strange. 

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys - No personally attacks allowed here. You can question someone and his/her motives etc... but be careful about speculating about one's person, mental state, etc...

Also, I see quite a bit of speculation under the guise of concluded fact. Be careful here as well. It can work in the opposite way you'd like. If your argument is that someone is in the pocket of MQA and is getting paid for it, you better show some evidence. If all you have is circumstantial evidence, you best not state your opinion as fact. Doing so will only hurt your credibility on this topic and potentially others. 

Carry on :~)

2 minutes ago, FredericV said:

You gave several lectures, not only for the AES. There's a commercial company behind your activities, you don't work for free.

Frederic - Your speculation without any proof is a bit over the top. We can all draw our own conclusions based on the evidence. I'm willing to bet nobody was paid for any of the talks given at those events. It's about branding yourself and getting in front of people as someone who knows this stuff. 

• 4 months later...