IGNORED

Time To Dump Tidal? Bluesound / BlueOS Now Has Deezer HiFi

3 hours ago, Abtr said:

IF Deezer does sound better than Tidal lossless, then there are only 2 possible explanations:

1) Deezer has different masters of the same albums

2) You stream Deezer and Tidal from different devices with different galvanic issues

Basically however it's impossible. Bits are bits, you know.. ;)

Lol you can stick your bits are bits theory where the sun dont shine sunshine.

1 hour ago, Rexp said:

Lol you can stick your bits are bits theory where the sun dont shine sunshine.

Brother, I said that different streaming devices (and/or other audio gear) *can* make a SQ difference (explanation #2).  BASICALLY however there is not a single bit different in e.g. a 44.1/16 Tidal stream relative to a 44.1/16 Deezer stream of the same album/master. Different streaming services may offer different functionallities, but a lossless bit-stream from Deezer is objectively the same as a lossless bit-stream from Tidal. So, generally stating that "Deezer sounds better than Tidal" is officially nonsense. Period.

22 hours ago, shadowlight said:

Bit off topic.  How did you enter your Deezer credentials with Ickstream?  I seem to be missing that option?  I went to Ickstream website and under services added Deezer but I do not see the option to add username and password for Deezer.  Any idea?

Hi Deepak,

Not sure what happens when you explicitly go to ickStream's website and add the services there. You should try adding the service from within the ickStream app's settings in the LMS web app itself (or did actually mean you did this?), ie:

image.thumb.png.2bee5bd1581ad3b9d99460dafce0568d.png

which should then take you to the ickStream Music Platform to select Deezer:

image.thumb.png.b298c5967bb96e69b6baf9581aeddf2b.png

The first time you select the Deezer service to add,  it should take you to Deezer's own website to login.

It's possible that the ickStream platform (being still in beta) is a bit buggy in that remembers an old Deezer account if you added & removed one some time before. So next time you try adding the Deezer service, it tries the old login and automatically uses it without telling you if it succeeds!

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

@Cebolla,  Thx John.  I do not even get the logon prompt when I click on Deezer icon that you displayed.  

I also tried adding the account based on the IckStream Cloud and clicking on service

image.thumb.png.9c3d98fb906b89c3e4d47f22ffa488bb.png

image.thumb.png.0ec1a5cccf4d43ba25bdb8f33d4c351c.png

If I click on the Spotify details link I see my account listed, while Deezer is showing up as empty.  Clicking on Tidal/Quboz gives me the option of entering the username and password used to login to the system.  I dropped an email message to IckStream contact email asking for help.  I think the setup for Deezer on Ickstream is currently not functioning correctly.

3 hours ago, shadowlight said:

@Cebolla,  Thx John.  I do not even get the logon prompt when I click on Deezer icon that you displayed.  

I also tried adding the account based on the IckStream Cloud and clicking on service

image.thumb.png.9c3d98fb906b89c3e4d47f22ffa488bb.png

image.thumb.png.0ec1a5cccf4d43ba25bdb8f33d4c351c.png

If I click on the Spotify details link I see my account listed, while Deezer is showing up as empty.  Clicking on Tidal/Quboz gives me the option of entering the username and password used to login to the system.  I dropped an email message to IckStream contact email asking for help.  I think the setup for Deezer on Ickstream is currently not functioning correctly.

That's wierd. Yes, it should still work when you add the Deezer service from your ickStream Cloud account. So in both cases it should take you to the following Deezer login page, on what looks like Deezer's own server:

image.thumb.png.19b75da6ede1ea23b4528ab393695527.png

I've just tested deleting the Deezer service and then adding it again.

I did notice the first time I re-added the Deezer service, that like you it skipped the Deezer login page!

However, unlike you, my account was listed in the service details, so not blank. I then realised that the web browser I was using was itself somehow involved & connected to Deezer too -  obvious by accessing  https://www.deezer.com/us/ in a new tab on the web browser O.o.

It seems that deleting Deezer's service from ickStream does not log it out from Deezer, as it is still connected via the web browser you are using. The only way to sever the connection is to manually logout from the Deezer website using the same web browser. Now, adding the Deezer service to ickstream takes you to the Deezer login page.

So the ickStream setup for Deezer appears to be still working, though rather buggy. It would certainly be worth you deleting the Deezer service from ickStream, seeing if the web browser itself is connected to Deezer, manually logging out from the Deezer website if so and then add the Deezer service to ickStream.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

All opinions are welcome here, but telling someone to stick it ... isn’t allowed. 

But personal insults are allowed, good to know...The funny thing is bobbmd agrees with me that Deezer sounds better but accepts Abtr's statement that cant be true cos bits are bits.

On 12/9/2017 at 10:13 PM, shadowlight said:

No luck with Deezer and Ickstream.  Either I get Tomcat error or the services is added without prompting for username/password.  Hopefully, I will hear back from the developer.

Ok I've tested this further on my Windows 10 machine & whether you are prompted for username/password or not depends on what web browser you are using, as they appear to interact differently with the cookies that are created both when you are taken to the Deezer login webpage and also when you then login successfully.

With the latest version of FireFox (57.0.2), deleting & reinstalling the Deezer service on ickStream never takes you to login to Deezer unless you either remove all cookies returned from a search for 'deezer' before you reinstall or you logout from Deezer at  https://www.deezer.com/us/ before you reinstall.

With the latest version of Chrome (63.0.3239.84), deleting & reinstalling the Deezer service on ickStream always takes you to login to Deezer, regardless of you removing the 'deezer' cookies or not.

-- Jo Cox

On 12/7/2017 at 3:15 PM, synn said:

No one beats Spotify when it comes to selection, curated content or discovery.

This may be true; I don't know.  Deezer's catalog is pretty good but I am finding it to be missing some (fairly mainstream) albums that are available on other services.  With the exceptions of very obscure stuff or the stupid exclusives, you would think the catalogs of all the services would be about the same.  I think it will become that way over time.

I think Google has the best discovery.  Spotify is another of the playlist-style applications, similar to MOG or whatever they call themselves now.  Google is library based, similar to Napster/Rhapsody.  Google shines in creating radio stations based on a single song, album, artist, or genre.  I can shuffle my entire library of 25K songs and never have an issue with repeats.  This is something I can't do with any other streaming service, so far.

Spotify's radio section is pretty good now, actually. Just pick an article or one of your own playlists and their recommendations are really good.

They have recently started a new feature whereby if you play tracks from one artist or your own playlists, they will continue auto playing with suggestions once your own tracks have ended. It's pretty neat for laid back listening and is a feature I use a lot at work.

16 minutes ago, synn said:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/tidal-in-trouble

Tidal might not be long for the world...

If your look at the same sources of news reporting on the current shortage of cash, you'll see the same story every six months or so in addition to the launch press saying Tidal sucked and people can just skip Tidal.

That said, because it's a private company we don't know what's really going on. I wish them the best, and their competitors the best, but after a while where there's smoke there's fire. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I think that the streaming arena will go through what happens in every area of disruptive tech, which is consolidation. Over time, the smaller players will be absorbed by the larger ones and eventually there will only be 2-3 major ones left.

i hope Qobuz withstands the fire though. They offer a truly unique service.

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If your look at the same sources of news reporting on the current shortage of cash, you'll see the same story every six months or so in addition to the launch press saying Tidal sucked and people can just skip Tidal.

That said, because it's a private company we don't know what's really going on. I wish them the best, and their competitors the best, but after a while where there's smoke there's fire. 

Might not have to worry about Tidal per the latest news.   https://thenextweb.com/apps/2017/12/...-in-the-lurch/

Maybe this needs it won thread.

The Truth Is Out There

On 11/21/2017 at 11:46 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

It mostly another options. Options are good. 

It has a very different user interface, on the desktop and mobile, from Tidal. Music recommendations have been very good so far with Deezer.

No “Deezer Masters” though! In regards to Tidal, I’m obsessed with the Tidal Masters (MQA) selections. In my opinion, most of the MQA albums on Tidal sound just as good as the same 24/192 version of the album uploaded to my Aurender’s internal hard drive. Although, I suppose the possibility that Deezer will become an MQA partner same as Tidal is possible. 

Given Tidal’s financial state, Deezer would be wise to do this, they could then be positioned to become a real “Tidal Killer”. 

1 hour ago, TubeLover said:

Another critical limitation with Deezer is that it can't be run on Aurender or most other network player/streamers. I have an Aurender N100 and no way to use Deezer. Please God, let Tidal survive!

JC

I have an Aurender also, and I think the Tidal Masters (MQA) and the newer seemless integration of Tidal alongside your own collection via conductor app is fantastic! 

I also pray they survive!

I'm an ex-TIDAL user, switched to Spotify and learned to love its music selection despite the loss of audio quality.  Then I spotted that Deezer had gone lossless, and used Cebolla's method to stream it to my network using LMS.  The audio quality surpasses TIDAL by a long way, but I was streaming TIDAL through that dreadful Kazoo interface and something nasty may have been happening at bit level.

Partly because I don't have good access to the Deezer interface, partly because I'm used to Spotify, partly because Spotify have got it well sorted, I'm still using Spotify to discover music and put together playlists.  I then synch accounts to enjoy Deezer.  There's a slight problem that Spotify's learning algorithms are not fed well as they don't know what is being played most, so I need to keep using Spotify for real, trying not to wince at the compression noise.

It's not perfect, but it works.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2017 at 6:33 AM, Melvin said:

Tempting. I dumped Tidal a few months ago and have been waiting patiently for an alternative. Bluesound continues to impress.

Have you compared Bluesound to the windows/mac app? I signed up to the hifi service today and it sounds great on my laptop (with fidelizer purist).