IGNORED

Is Audiophiledom a confidence game?

crenca

5 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

I see. So Frank is talking about the depth and not width of the soundstage when saying speakers disappear? That would make it a slightly different point, in which case I withdraw my phase comment :)

Opus101, Richard, did a good job of clarifying an apparent reason for why the perceptual behaviours occur - any audible anomalies that pinpoint the location of the drivers are overriden by the cues of the recording content - you 'see' the space of the recording, rather than speakers being the source of sounds.

Both width and depth are presented - a particularly telling variation is when playing true mono material through the stereo speakers, ie, identical content in left and right channels. If one stands close to the line of the speakers, and midway between them then the sound appears directly in front of you, with depth to it depending upon how the recording was made - same thing as "sweet spot" presentation. Then you move sideways, closer to one of the speakers - the source of the sound will "follow you", not remain tied to the centre of the speakers - it's still "in front of you". If the behaviour is fully manifested then you can move sideways until you're directly in front of one of the speakers, left or right, and the sound is still "the same". The key thing is that the presentation doesn't alter while moving from midway between the speakers to directly in front of one - and in fact one can move outside the area between the speakers, and it still works!

Normal stereo material has full positional information, which retains its integrity while moving anywhere in relation to the speakers; the mono exercise just makes what's going on, perceptually, more clear cut.

3 hours ago, fas42 said:

Opus101, Richard, did a good job of clarifying an apparent reason for why the perceptual behaviours occur - any audible anomalies that pinpoint the location of the drivers are overriden by the cues of the recording content - you 'see' the space of the recording, rather than speakers being the source of sounds.

Both width and depth are presented - a particularly telling variation is when playing true mono material through the stereo speakers, ie, identical content in left and right channels. If one stands close to the line of the speakers, and midway between them then the sound appears directly in front of you, with depth to it depending upon how the recording was made - same thing as "sweet spot" presentation. Then you move sideways, closer to one of the speakers - the source of the sound will "follow you", not remain tied to the centre of the speakers - it's still "in front of you". If the behaviour is fully manifested then you can move sideways until you're directly in front of one of the speakers, left or right, and the sound is still "the same". The key thing is that the presentation doesn't alter while moving from midway between the speakers to directly in front of one - and in fact one can move outside the area between the speakers, and it still works!

I do understand better what you've been trying to say. The width of the soundstage and the horizontal positioning in that soundstage is due to phase differences between left and right channels. Depth is another matter, as that has to do with reproducing some of the early reflections that are recorded with the main signal. You might be right that the system must be of a certain level of quality in order to reproduce these early reflections well enough. Well enough for them to fool the ear into thinking the signal is coming from behind the speakers.

Normal stereo material has full positional information, which retains its integrity while moving anywhere in relation to the speakers.

A lot of the 'normal' stereo material is manufactured by applying a certain amount of phase difference and reverb to the signal to position it at a certain spot in the soundstage. The original recorded signal contains few real spatial cues, as it is often captured from a mic close to the performer/instrument and designed to remove as much of the reverberant  information from it as possible. More often than not, you're hearing positional cues that are artificially created in post-processing.

18 hours ago, esldude said:

If the terms that some find offensive were directly used with that intent it would be one thing.  That was not the case here.

What if a red car ran over my first puppy and I have never recovered, making me see red when I hear the word.  Should I expect everyone to not use the word red because it bothers me?  I realize this is not quite that.  But where is the line appropriately drawn.

An inadequate test and, IMO, a hardly apt analogy to support it. It might satisfy If empathy and sensitivity are eliminated as relevant considerations.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

36 minutes ago, rando said:

Go thank @mourip and try not to be too greedy about how much attention you draw when the women start to show up.  

Good point fellas, if there is an attempt to date women, you will hopefully learn that listening to opinions unsupported by mathematical proof, will go a long way.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Teresa is polite and reasonable in accommodating others ideas.  There is no reason anyone here should be unable to voice their thoughts in a manner similar to the one she uses.  The self propagating wars and +100 page threads that spill out grown men cursing and name calling on par with 10 year old's preclude others engaging in normal mature adult behaviors.  

What I saw missing in the mention of duels is how many thick layers of veneer needed to be penetrated before conduct was so deplorable it rated chancing death or exclusion.  Death being preferable as it didn't harm ones friends or family.  When illegitimate behavior and misconduct are given right of passage.  Duels no longer have meaning.  They are shootouts.  

22 minutes ago, mansr said:

If the proof is correct, she's obviously not an idiot.

hang out long enough and not all proofs will be complete yet. Just wait.

Also, women mathematicians are also girls too (that’s a good thing (tm) )

Another one for you: What is the proper answer to question: “Honey, does this dress make me look fat?”

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

21 minutes ago, jabbr said:

hang out long enough and not all proofs will be complete yet. Just wait.

Also, women mathematicians are also girls too (that’s a good thing (tm) )

Another one for you: What is the proper answer to question: “Honey, does this dress make me look fat?”

Darling don't worry about the dress, the cellulite is more of a concern:o

Slap!!!!

Ouch!

Who ever say's honesty pays is single.