IGNORED

Is Audiophiledom a confidence game?

crenca

On 10/18/2017 at 8:14 PM, lucretius said:

I don't know about your CDs, but there is no electricity hidden in mine.

Actually, your CDs have various bit errors encoded into the stream of pits.  This is almost certainly the case.  There are various levels of errors that can occur.  Some are eliminated by the first order error correction, C1 errors, some are eliminated by the second level of error correction, C2 errors, and if your disk is defective or damaged some may not be correctable and result in masking the error (by interpolating a bad sample).  If a disk is really damaged then playback will audibly glitch or even stop.

I have tools that work with my CD player to assess the quality of CD-R disks that I have burned.  This is basic QC that mastering engineers must do when they deliver physical disks to the pressing plant.  (This has largely been superseded by sending the bits to the pressing plant over the Internet, during which, FWIW, the encoded samples will be subject to various stages of compression and expansion.)

On 10/18/2017 at 8:45 PM, Speed Racer said:

Of course I have. In digital electronics, a 1 is a 1 and a 0 is a 0. You are talking about how these 1's an 0's are represented on the wire which can vary quite a bit and still be read as a 1 or a 0. You are confusing analog with digital here. The reason computers work is because the signals representing 1's and 0's can vary in amplitude and STILL be identical as far as the digital electronics are concerned.

There is a big difference between introductory study of a technology and getting into the actual theoretical and practical details involved in engineering cost effective products with state of the art performance.  Based on reading your few posts, my conclusion is that you don't know what you don't know.  A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

On 10/19/2017 at 2:46 AM, marce said:

Not really we all know the real claim, Tony's answer is not based on the real claim, so is nul in this instance, even though it stands on its own.

My point was to illustrate the necessity of extreme precision in what is being claimed in these discussions.  It is only after my post that people dissed it, saying of course we don't want to count acoustic noise coupling, only electrical noise coupling.  And then, that is not enough either, because is it electrical noise at the speakers or electrical noise at the output of the DAC. 

Amirm has given an example where one particular USB "cleaning" device affected the measured output of a DAC, when the DAC was connected to his particular test equipment.  (In this case the device was measured as actually degrading the output signal of the DAC, not improving it.)  As it happened, this DAC had two output modes, single ended and balanced.  The degradation was observed only in the case of the single ended outputs, not when balanced outputs were measured.  So even something as specific as "output of the DAC" is not sufficient to define the experimental conditions. 

The subjectivists are right when they focus on how the system sounds.  This is the end goal.  The narrow minded objectivists who focus on one component at a time will never succeed in getting to the bottom of the problem because they have not properly defined the problem they are solving.  (And this certainly includes all of the people who post on either side, just for the sake of argument.)

14 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Since everyone else is doing it wrong, could you help all of us idiots out by defining the problem properly?

He already did with the standard subjectivist view:

"The subjectivists are right when they focus on how the system sounds.  This is the end goal.  The narrow minded objectivists who focus on one component at a time will never succeed in getting to the bottom of the problem because they have not properly defined the problem they are solving.  (And this certainly includes all of the people who post on either side, just for the sake of argument.)"

But again, none of this matters because it is not at this level that the Audiophile Confidence Game rests - this is rather the symptoms of a deeper issue...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

1 hour ago, wgscott said:

There is another aspect to the confidence game.  Perhaps it might be best to make the analogy to the M.D. who, for example, decides to take up the mantle of the anti-vaccine movement, or the molecular biologist who endorses Creationism as a viable alternative to evolution.

Interesting analogy. On one hand there is a vast compendium of peer reviewed published literature regarding both the efficacy of vaccines and the biology behind evolution. Vaccines have saved millions if not approaching billions of lives and cured diseases such as smallpox and polio. 

The scientific evidence behind evolution as you know cannot be overstated.

on the other had the beliefs which folks hold regarding what might be considered “absurd” regarding consumer audio has no such scientific backing. Indeed no one has been able to provide a single peer reviewed published article regarding the “SQ” of Ethernet cables. 

Ive asked before and no one has been able to answer: on what basis, specifically, did you personally determine an audiophile belief to be absurd or delusional? No doubt there are edge cases but what about some common ones? 

Can you articulate why you consider certain things so absurd that they are not in need of detailed analysis and investigation?

How would you treat a freshman biology student who stood up in class and asserts: “it is well known that enzymes are made of proteins and absurd to consider that RNA acts directly as a catalyst”?

”Yeah but can you prove that’s necessary?”

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 hour ago, wgscott said:

Likewise for engineers or computer scientists etc. who legitimize what they doubtless privately and cynically recognize as the palpably absurd. It likely provides a real ego boost.

But on the basis of what expertise on your part (or that of others on which you rely) does this “doubtless” rest?  Sure, there’s stuff that’s obviously absurd just for normal reasoning humans.  But on some of these topics engineers disagree, and they both/all Know More Than I Do.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

11 hours ago, marce said:

You’ve got that at work but it’s really expensive (Zuken didn’t even reply when I asked for a research nonprofit license)

What % of projects on DIYAudio use this type of design? I am seeing these evolve into commercial products that are incorporated into surprisingly high end audio equipment. 

25 minutes ago, Jud said:

But on the basis of what expertise on your part (or that of others on which you rely) does this “doubtless” rest?  Sure, there’s stuff that’s obviously absurd just for normal reasoning humans.  But on some of these topics engineers disagree, and they both/all Know More Than I Do.

It isn't a question of expertise.  It is a question of whether the proposition is testable, repeatable, measurable ...

Donald Trump, by virtue of his current job, which includes access to highly classified intelligence, knows much more about what is going on in the world than you do.  Do you give his tweets the same benefit of the doubt that you do the statements of engineers disagree upon? Or do you apply a wee bit of common sense?

14 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Like the box of dirt that serves to ground audio equipment?  There is not a single peer-reviewed article in the literature I am aware of that says that grounding your stereo to a box of dirt won't work, so therefore we should take it seriously?

Totally agree with that. But are there any real EEs who are saying this works?

Because the proponents of these "certain things" are unable to articulate a testable hypothesis and to state under what experimental conditions they might be willing to accept that their prediction is incorrect.

So we have 2 categories. I entirely agree that if a testable hyp can’t be developed then it’s garbage.

There is an entirely different category of audiophile products for which that isn’t the case. Power supplies, SI widgets etc can all be tested. Cables can be tested. eg USB cables are said to be measurably different so ...? (The fact that this is the case actually bothers me a great deal but I can’t dismiss)

I would first acknowledge that the assertion is completely reasonable and consistent with what (almost) everyone believed until the mid-1980s, until they were confronted with compelling experimental evidence to the contrary.  See the difference?

Yes, a single well done study can contradict a dogma.

I am specifically referring to the “bits are bits” argument here which is a nice tidy mathematical construct that allows software to mostly work based on hardware. The apparent belief that each bit is electrically identical to every other bit remains a dogma despite measurable details to the contrary. 

Huh?

Many times when a plausible measurable electrical difference is demonstrated or the path to this is demonstrated, certain objectivist have the fallback position that it’s not audible. For me personally, if it is measurably different then it’s plausibly audible. I was making an analogy.

the real problem isn't so much that a test cannot be done; it is that tests are not being done

I'd still like an answer to the minimum buffer size needed (despite my appreciation for the humor).  Assume files are spread all over a single HDD, but do not have sectors stored near neutron stars, etc.  Estimates are fine.

47 minutes ago, jabbr said:

The apparent belief that each bit is electrically identical to every other bit remains a dogma despite measurable details to the contrary. 

I think you will find few people here who believe this.

Also, the fact that they are not electrically identical provides no useful clues to solving mysteries such as bit identical files sounding different on a consistent basis after being transferred over to the Internet or after being compressed and uncompressed as the electrical state of the underlying bits has changed multiple times during these operations.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

39 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

However, the fact that they are not electrically identical provides no useful clues to solving mysteries such as bit identical files sounding different on a consistent basis

Of course ;)

Certainly possible that two CD ROMs might sound different.

15 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

The mere notion that data integrity is itself some kind of dogma is absurd at a level that defies definition.

As long  as you display the hex codes on the screen and convert that into music in your head you should be fine — wait, you want to listen to those bits? In that case you need a bulletproof DAC that can ensure that any variation in the bits voltages and currents will not have an effect on the electrical output. 

At some point in your DAC that bit of yours becomes a voltage or a current and that’s where your dogma dies

racking my brain for the name of this type of fallacious argument you just made but the fact that trillions of dollars of stock trades depend on digital integrity has no bearing on a DAC

15 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Trillions of dollars in the global economy hinges on data integrity (i.e., "bit accurate" data).  The mere notion that data integrity is itself some kind of dogma is absurd at a level that defies definition.

You know, there must be REAL $money$ in the financial markets leveraging the idea that the bits are not really bits (resting as they do on eletronics that have not been "proved" to be accurate)... :)

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

2 minutes ago, mansr said:

That's not an electronic engineering matter.

Acute observation. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.