IGNORED

Is Audiophiledom a confidence game?

crenca

12 minutes ago, opus101 said:

A hypothesis can never be 'proved' in science. Proof is limited to mathematics, in science a hypothesis can only be falsified. Absence of falsification is not an indication that the hypothesis is 'true'.

Fine. Let's use terms like "support" and "negate" then.........

Tests can either "support" or "negate" a hypothesis.

1 minute ago, wgscott said:

You cannot, by definition, be an Audiophile unless you hold the same set of beliefs as Alex, ipso facto.  Therefore anyone who disagrees with those beliefs has no business posting to this website, and should be banned.  So either become one of the Happy People, or do what ML suggests we do.

If you had bothered to read an earlier post by me , you would know that I believe we can happily coexist as long as we are respectful to each other . We MAY even learn something from each other ?

Michael went too far, and was deservedly banned from this forum.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, Speed Racer said:

A testable hypothesis that can falsified or proved. You left the second part out. To be done correctly and without bias, the goal of the process cannot be to be prove the hypothesis false. The goal is to test the hypothesis to see if it is true or false. 

that would be repetitious - the "2nd part" IS the 2nd word

you are also confused about things - Karl Pooper has a book for you

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

Ask SankyK under what conditions he would accept that his hypothesis that music files having identical checksums can sound different, depending on his past history, would be demonstrably wrong.  His answer is fairly telling.

I thought his answer basically amounted to "waaaaaaah."

This is an often-repeated assertion.  

Those of us worried about expectation bias are thinking of Feynman's favorite bit of advice:  

• The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. 

-- from lecture "What is and What Should be the Role of Scientific Culture in Modern Society", given at the Galileo Symposium in Italy (1964).

The point is "being delusional" is the basic default human condition.  

20 minutes ago, wgscott said:

music files having identical checksums can sound different

I agree with you in general (not surprising) but isn't this a bad example?

that is, a matching checksum does not guarantee 100% that all bits in the string are identical, does it?  I thought it was only an addition of the bit values or some such

Just now, Ralf11 said:

that is, a matching checksum does not guarantee 100% that all bits in the string are identical, does it?  I thought it was only an addition of the bit values or some such

Please show me a single actual counter-example, and I will accept that my hypothesis has been falsified.

Just now, Ralf11 said:

The chance that two files having the same checksum are different is extremely small. 

For the record, I have compared files that Alex claims sound different and they are bit-for-bit identical.   

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

14 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Regardless of what I may think, I have never called anyone delusional. Unlike members of the Audiophile Taliban, I believe that multiple faiths can coexist peacefully on this site.

We are basically in agreement here.

You however, don't appear to accept, that there are members of the Objective Taliban too !

I also believe that wherever possible that properly performed measurements are quite useful.

I just don't believe that they always translate to what people hear. 

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

25 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Ask SankyK under what conditions he would accept that his hypothesis that music files having identical checksums can sound different, depending on his past history, would be demonstrably wrong.  His answer is fairly telling.

I don't believe Alex has a hypothesis - its his observation that they have (for him) sounded different. Its for the rest of us to have a hypothesis for why that might be. I don't have one yet but it would likely involve expectation bias if I did as I cannot come up with anything consistent otherwise.

23 minutes ago, wgscott said:

No, his point is that outside of pure mathematics, there is not inductive law that permits you to prove a hypothesis.  cf David Hume.  So the best we can do is try to falsify a hypothesis.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability

This is pedantic.  I'm sure Speedracer knows that logical/mathematical proofs do not exist for empirical claims. I'm quite certain he meant "proof" as in sufficient evidence to accept the hypothesis.

mQa is dead!

5 minutes ago, wgscott said:

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. 

I have no disagreement with that, which is why I usually also involve others in an effort to confirm what I believe that I am hearing.

Just now, sandyk said:

I have no disagreement with that, which is why I usually also involve others in an effort to confirm what I believe that I am hearing.

So if people just said "I think you may be fooling yourself about X", you would be ok with that?

Just now, opus101 said:

I don't believe Alex has a hypothesis - its his observation that they have (for him) sounded different.

As I have just posted, I also normally seek confirmation from others BEFORE posting my reports.

You will also find that last year there was a thread where several members, including Peter St., Manisandher,  and ACG ( Anthony) confirmed my results with uploaded versions  of "Unter Donner und Blitz Polka, Op. 324" from the album "Ein Straussfest -  Erich Kunzel

5 minutes ago, wgscott said:

So if people just said "I think you may be fooling yourself about X", you would be ok with that?

I have nothing further to say with you on this.

We have both already said more than enough on this subject over a period of quite a few years.

I would rather watch repeats of Groundhog Day than discuss this further with you .