IGNORED

Objective proof the UpTone Regen ISO can improve a DAC's output(*)

39 minutes ago, plissken said:

No, the only leakage loop spurie is with YOUR SMPS. The USB bus power and his lab power supply don't exhibit this.

Do I really need to explain this again?  His Audio Precision analyzer uses an SMPS.  So the leakage of it and that of our supplied Mean Well SMPS interact to produce the extra 10-20dB of harmonics (still very low down at -120 -- -130dB)

And AC spurie are still seen with his "lab" supply--because it too has a little leakage and interacts with the PS of his AP.

Just now, Superdad said:

Do I really need to explain this again?  His Audio Precision analyzer uses an SMPS.  So the leakage of it and that of our supplied Mean Well SMPS interact to produce the extra 10-20dB of harmonics (still very low down at -120 -- -130dB)

And AC spurie are still seen with his "lab" supply--because it too has a little leakage and interacts with the PS of his AP.

It's not lost on me that the AP has a SMPS. What's lost on you is that your SMPS made things the worse out three options: Your SMPS, his lab supply, or vanilla USB bus power. 

My money is still on someone falling flat on their face with DAC that keeps it's shit together on USB bus power when tested for it blind.

You want to do this at RMAF in October? 

11 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

It's the latter.  USB DACs all have to re-clock the incoming data from USB clock domain to digital audio domain (based on 44.1KHz or 48KHz multiples depending on sampling rate carried by the digital stream).  There's a FIFO implementation in some form in every USB DAC.  A well designed reclocking circuit in a DAC can prevent the USB side jitter from contributing to the jitter on the digital audio clock side.

This is another area where Ethernet based DAC's are going to win out. The non-realtime, high bandwidth, low latency, deep cache and much better implemented clock domain boundaries. 

Just give me an appliance with  an 1/8th, 1/4th, or 1/2 GB of buffer and kiss the rest goodbye. 

I like my DC-1 but my next DAC won't have a USB port on it. 

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Yes, plissken is "Jinjuku" at ASR (he is more polite here than there).  Dennis (esldude here) is Blumlein88 there.

Yes, I am Blumlein 88 at ASR.  Nothing nefarious.  After using the same moniker for 20 years thought I would try something different.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

42 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

For your last question, my viewpoint is that measurements that we know how to do collectively have yet to be able to reflect/demonstrate what our ears can hear.  I strongly believe it is a major fallacy to claim that audibility must correspond to measurability, and the opposite being a fallacy as well: no measurement differences mean there cannot be audible differences.  I just don't believe the two need to be 100% correlated with each other.

Audibility must correspond to measurability in principle.  It may not be possible to yet do or interpret those measurements, but if something sounds different due to a change in soundwaves it must be a difference that can potentially be measured. 

That measurable differences must always be audible is of course a fallacy, but one rarely made by people who measure.   For instance here some have acted as if some 60 hz related hum was being offered up as proof of an audible problem.  It was merely offered up as something measurably different and slightly worse when the device was in use.  It was not claimed to be an audible issue.  I don't even know the higher jitter levels exhibited by the Modi 2 without a USB cleaner would be audible.  It does clearly indicate that device is more effected by what is on the USB buss than several others tested.  As well as indicating there are DACs that can benefit from a device like the Regen measurably.  The potential that the ISO Regen improves sound with that DAC is at least possible as we can see it measurably improves the result. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

40 minutes ago, plissken said:

This is another area where Ethernet based DAC's are going to win out. The non-realtime, high bandwidth, low latency, deep cache and much better implemented clock domain boundaries. 

Just give me an appliance with  an 1/8th, 1/4th, or 1/2 GB of buffer and kiss the rest goodbye. 

I like my DC-1 but my next DAC won't have a USB port on it. 

I haven't had problems with USB DACs, but I sure hope the Dante network or something like it becomes common and affordable. 

1 hour ago, kumakuma said:

Got it. I guess "plissken" wasn't available as a handle when he joined Amir's site.  

Maybe plissken is the hidden special secret identity. I have run across a Jinjuku on some other audio sites.  I am sure I have seen one at AVS which I think might be the same person.  Not sure, nor do I think it a big deal.  It was easy to figure out if you read both sites without him saying anything about it.  So I don't think he was hiding anything. 

Maybe I need a second secret identity here.  I might choose spirograph.  That way I have an abundance of fitting avatars to choose from like:

spiro9.jpg

spiro7.jpg

spiro8.jpg

container_basic-kit-spirograph-3d-printi

stock-vector-fractal-graphics-abstract-s

16 hours ago, plissken said:

Maybe it isn't but it's not there with his lab supply. His lab supply does take care of a 180Hz bump that was their with USB bus power.

Why not tell Amir to repeat the test but this time put the lab PSU on the AP analyzer and put the SMPS supply back on the IR, if that cleans up the result like the lab supply did when put on the IR then you have to give credibility to Alex's explanation, and amir would have to admit such error in his measurements and reporting of.

12 hours ago, esldude said:

So don't confuse highly respected listening for preference with fidelity.

I don't claim to have golden ears, so I think we can just say "a coupla guys" rather than "highly respected listeners."  :)

(Always loved the Garth Brooks song, "I've Got Friends in Low Places.")

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Quadman said:

Why not tell Amir to repeat the test but this time put the lab PSU on the AP analyzer and put the SMPS supply back on the IR, if that cleans up the result like the lab supply did when put on the IR then you have to give credibility to Alex's explanation, and amir would have to admit such error in his measurements and reporting of.

I could be wrong, but I don't think AP analyzers allow for an external DC power source. Otherwise, this would be a good test.

On 8/6/2017 at 8:28 AM, Superdad said:

Because it is not a ground loop he is forming (though if he puts the ISO REGEN switch in the defeat position, his setup--using single-end connection to the AP and having the same computer connected to both the DAC and the analyzer--would surely form one of those too!).  No, he is forming an AC leakage current loop.

That is very different.  It is a significant, widely overlooked issue in audio (and even with measurement equipment), and it very many exists, as exemplified by Amir's graph--which he completely misinterpreted as being the ISO REGEN putting mains noise on the 5VBUS line into the DAC.

John has written extensively about leakage/loops.  He has explained:

• what they are (AC traveling over every sort of connection including DC connections);
  • where they come from (virtually every power supply; linears have leakage though not as much as switchers, and batteries have none);
  • why they form (must be two PSUs--it is the interaction between two or more);
  • and how best to mitigate them (reduce impedance between gear by plugging all system mains power cords into a heavy power stirip with zero filtering elements--use a low interwinding-capacitance isolation transformer for protection of gear)

By the way, one of the hallmarks of our own UltraCap LPS-1, its raison d'etre, is that by being "battery-like" (without the performance shortcomings of batteries), it blocks the path of leakage currents.  Or I should more correctly say that it keeps the device being powered from contributing any PS leakage the system's leakage loops.  EVERY audio system has leakage loops, but the combination of the ISO REGEN and the LPS-1 is what creates a complete "moat" between the computer (with its very high and typically quite nasty and "bursty" leakage) and the DAC.

Remember, galvanic isolation (just one of the functions of the ISO REGEN) is the blockage of DC not AC.

You can read Amir's reply here:

http://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/uptone-iso-regen-review-and-measurements.1829/page-8#post-46534

It is highly likely that powering either the Meanwell, AP or MacIntosh with an AC isolation transformer with a floating neutral such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-1604A-Single-Isolation-Transformer/dp/B000LDLF3M/ref=sr_1_4?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1502155827&sr=1-4&keywords=120v+isolation+transformer

will break the AC ground loop in Amir's testbed.

Powering the laptop with its internal battery disconnected from it's power supply may accomplish the same thing. If not the isolation transformer should be added as well.

Jud had a similar problem with the prototype ISO Regen and MacBook. The isolation transformer fixed it.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

On 8/6/2017 at 9:28 AM, Superdad said:

Because it is not a ground loop he is forming (though if he puts the ISO REGEN switch in the defeat position, his setup--using single-end connection to the AP and having the same computer connected to both the DAC and the analyzer--would surely form one of those too!).  No, he is forming an AC leakage current loop.

Amir just responded very well to what I and other were pointing out. No matter the straw man you want to parade about, the ISO regen with power supply made things worse. End of story. 

Quoted in full:

OK, back from the trip and had a bit of time to answer this. I am going to provide two answers. One high level that is easy to understand and should completely do away with this argument. The second answer, will be a deep dive into power supplies, emissions control, safety, etc. that explains why the problem is created with ISO regen and not otherwise.

First, here is the argument from the first link above:
upload_2017-8-7_15-58-34.png

In a nutshell, he is saying that because ISO regen uses a switchmode power supply and so does the Audio Precision (how he knows the latter is beyond me seeing how he doesn't have one), and that switchmode power supplies have a "required Y capacitor" that what I am observing with respect to increased mains frequency and harmonics in the output of the DAC as measured by my Audio Precision Analyzer, is unavoidable. He is also pointing to an iFi post which was measurements of their power supply (and not the DAC) as proof point of this.

Here is the diagram for how I measured the Behringer UMC204HD as is:

Diagram Without ISO Regen.PNG

Right away we see the flaw with the statement Alex is making. There are plenty of switchmode power supplies in my playback and measurement chain. The Behringer was powered by the USB power of my desktop workstation. This is a custom PC I built with a switchmode power supply. I don't pretend to know what power supply configuration is used in the Audio Precision Analyzer. I do have a laptop connected to it that controls the analyzer over another USB bus and the laptop was connected through yet another switchmode power supply to mains.

So if switchmode power supplies have "required Y capacitors" and anything upstream of the analyzer would create mains harmonic noise, it should have been there all along. But it was not at nearly a significant level until I changed to this configuration:

Diagram With ISO Regen.PNG

In this configuration, yet another power supply made by a half-decent Chinese/Taiwanese company called Meanwell is added in the middle of the chain. This is powering the ISO Regen which in turn generates a new USB bus power. In this configuration we managed to increase the mains related harmonics as I showed before:

[IMG]

By now it should be obvious that the mere fact there are switchmode power supplies upstream of the DAC/USB bus does not at all say that the measurement scheme is faulty. The only change here was insertion of the ISO regen and it created the heightened noise products in the output of the DAC. Clearly what Alex is saying regarding design and operation of switchmode power supplies is incorrect (I will dig into this in the later detailed post).

But let's say for the moment that he is right. Nothing about that means that we can't measure the output of the system with the Audio Precision Analyzer. The AP acts just like any other audio device. It has an analog pre-amp, power supply for the same, and other bits to capture that stream. There is no law against such an audio having a switchmode power supply. Class-d amps for example mostly have switchmode supply. Is Alex saying that in such configuration ISO Regen does screw up the fidelity of the system? If so, why is that not indicated in the specification for the device?

Last but not least, I suspect the last thing anyone would think of when reading about a device that says it provides isolation, that it actually creates current leakage of its own!

Summary
There is nothing wrong with the testing as performed. Had UpTone bothered to measure the performance of their system with DACs, they would have likely found this issue and hopefully would have re-looked at their system architecture and chose a different design. AC mains current leakage, ground loops, etc. are part and parcel of unbalanced, RCA connections. Fact that adding yet another power supply to what is already a complex configuration causes more mains related distortions should not be surprising. Simplicity sometimes is our friend and ISO regen moves away from that.

Amir
Founder, Audio Science Review
Founder, Madrona Digital
Contributing Editor, Widescreen Review Magazine

6 minutes ago, plissken said:

Amir just responded very well to what I and other were pointing out. No matter the straw man you want to parade about, the ISO regen with power supply made things worse. End of story. 

Quoted in full:

OK, back from the trip and had a bit of time to answer this. I am going to provide two answers. One high level that is easy to understand and should completely do away with this argument. The second answer, will be a deep dive into power supplies, emissions control, safety, etc. that explains why the problem is created with ISO regen and not otherwise.

First, here is the argument from the first link above:
upload_2017-8-7_15-58-34.png

In a nutshell, he is saying that because ISO regen uses a switchmode power supply and so does the Audio Precision (how he knows the latter is beyond me seeing how he doesn't have one), and that switchmode power supplies have a "required Y capacitor" that what I am observing with respect to increased mains frequency and harmonics in the output of the DAC as measured by my Audio Precision Analyzer, is unavoidable. He is also pointing to an iFi post which was measurements of their power supply (and not the DAC) as proof point of this.

Here is the diagram for how I measured the Behringer UMC204HD as is:

Diagram Without ISO Regen.PNG

Right away we see the flaw with the statement Alex is making. There are plenty of switchmode power supplies in my playback and measurement chain. The Behringer was powered by the USB power of my desktop workstation. This is a custom PC I built with a switchmode power supply. I don't pretend to know what power supply configuration is used in the Audio Precision Analyzer. I do have a laptop connected to it that controls the analyzer over another USB bus and the laptop was connected through yet another switchmode power supply to mains.

So if switchmode power supplies have "required Y capacitors" and anything upstream of the analyzer would create mains harmonic noise, it should have been there all along. But it was not at nearly a significant level until I changed to this configuration:

Diagram With ISO Regen.PNG

In this configuration, yet another power supply made by a half-decent Chinese/Taiwanese company called Meanwell is added in the middle of the chain. This is powering the ISO Regen which in turn generates a new USB bus power. In this configuration we managed to increase the mains related harmonics as I showed before:

[IMG]

By now it should be obvious that the mere fact there are switchmode power supplies upstream of the DAC/USB bus does not at all say that the measurement scheme is faulty. The only change here was insertion of the ISO regen and it created the heightened noise products in the output of the DAC. Clearly what Alex is saying regarding design and operation of switchmode power supplies is incorrect (I will dig into this in the later detailed post).

But let's say for the moment that he is right. Nothing about that means that we can't measure the output of the system with the Audio Precision Analyzer. The AP acts just like any other audio device. It has an analog pre-amp, power supply for the same, and other bits to capture that stream. There is no law against such an audio having a switchmode power supply. Class-d amps for example mostly have switchmode supply. Is Alex saying that in such configuration ISO Regen does screw up the fidelity of the system? If so, why is that not indicated in the specification for the device?

Last but not least, I suspect the last thing anyone would think of when reading about a device that says it provides isolation, that it actually creates current leakage of its own!

Summary
There is nothing wrong with the testing as performed. Had UpTone bothered to measure the performance of their system with DACs, they would have likely found this issue and hopefully would have re-looked at their system architecture and chose a different design. AC mains current leakage, ground loops, etc. are part and parcel of unbalanced, RCA connections. Fact that adding yet another power supply to what is already a complex configuration causes more mains related distortions should not be surprising. Simplicity sometimes is our friend and ISO regen moves away from that.

Amir
Founder, Audio Science Review
Founder, Madrona Digital
Contributing Editor, Widescreen Review Magazine

Yes, I read Amir's response before making my post above that contains a recommendation that will likely fix Amir's testbed.

Just now, lmitche said:

Yes, I read that before making my post above that contains a recommendation that will likely fix Amir's testbed.

And I suggested yesterday that Amir replace the Mean Well SMPS with a battery to power the ISO REGEN and re-measure.  A purely scientific control experiment with only one component changed.

UpTone's LPS-1 power supply should also do the trick, but given Amir's obvious anti-UpTone stance, I thought a battery would at least be "neutral territory".  :D

18 minutes ago, esldude said:

So if one had a switch mode amp one needs to spend $96 more to isolate the ISO Regen to isolate the USB?

Again, it was the MacBook SMPS that created the problem in Jud's system, not the amps.

I have no experience with switched mode amps and the ISO Regen, so have no answer to your question.

I would be curious to know if the 60hz is audible in Amir's testbed. It was definitely so in Jud's system. If Amir owns an amp and speakers this test would be helpful.