IGNORED

Objective proof the UpTone Regen ISO can improve a DAC's output(*)

6 minutes ago, Superdad said:

That is an assumption on his part based on his simplistic tests. He focuses strictly on residual noise.

He rejects the premise that improved USB signal integrity and impedance match have an impact on DAC function.

Sorry for him that lots of people can clearly hear the effect but that he can't measure it. 

And you know, UpTone is no longer the only firm in this space--and there are now plenty of streamer and DAC manufacturers paying attention to the sonic effects of USB SI.

Spoke to the engineers at Aurender two years ago at RMAF (Same show where we chatted with Amir for 15 min. by the elevator--which he later characterized as an in-depth meeting an assessment of John as an "amateur engineer.") The Aurender guys said they quite specifically focused on high SI--for its impact on SQ from the DAC.

I think Amir needs to broaden his thinking an methods. 

Say there slick, we're still waiting on the posting of your measurements confirming your claims Amir's are in error.

You can blow smoke telling the folks here that he doesn't know what he's doing or how to measure, but how about throwing up some results backing up your mouth?

Maybe cause last I heard neither you nor John even owned the required equipment?

Your posting nonsense.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

9 minutes ago, Superdad said:

That is an assumption on his part based on his simplistic tests. He focuses strictly on residual noise.

He rejects the premise that improved USB signal integrity and impedance match have an impact on DAC function.

I think Amir needs to broaden his thinking and methods. 

He's focusing on the claims made on your own site. He's done two measurements: Jitter and 60 Hz Mains suppression.

When do you think you are going to have some detailed measurements of a DAC's output that isn't what Amir measured with the Schiit Modi 2? 

As long as an inspec USB cable (90ohms?) is used there shouldn't be any impedance mismatch. John Swenson has even said a compliant cable at 3 feet or less is going to give you the best S.I. 

I don't think it's on Amir to proof your own product however. 

Is there anything hes measured so far that you could, in a material manner, disprove?

1 minute ago, Superdad said:

No need. Amir's own graph and set up makes the error plain as I originally explained. Two SMPS. Big leakage loop spurie. 

No, the only leakage loop spurie is with YOUR SMPS. The USB bus power and his lab power supply don't exhibit this.

Is this one of those hidden camera shows?

2 minutes ago, Superdad said:

No need. Amir's own graph and set up makes the error plain as I originally explained. Two SMPS. Big leakage. 

And all Amir needs to do is a simple control experiment: replace the Mean Well SMPS powering his ISO-Regen with a battery and re-measure.  The humps at 60Hz and its harmonics should drop noticeably.

29 minutes ago, plissken said:

Nothing I've seen or heard so far would convince me it's a problem for most DAC's. The power supply in my Emotiva DC-1 is pretty robust and most likely takes care of the issue. 

I'll add my Gustard X20Pro to this list: I see no AC-related frequencies in the DAC output. I do see a slight bump of a few dB over the noise floor at 120Hz, but this is related to my ADC (which is using an SMPS). The reason I know this is that only my ADC is running at 60Hz, the rest of the equipment is powered by a 70Hz AC power.

15 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

Sorry for the long post here, but there are many factors at play that I'd like to comment on.

A USB bus powered DAC has an advantage over a self-powered (by DC or AC) DAC in that the former can help eliminate at least one potential AC leakage loop from the system

Agreed and in the past I've recommended Intel Atom and Z8*** based systems that could be either driven with a battery or with a linear regulated supply. I also have recommended CMNR supplies. 

ISO Regen by its design offers USB signal regeneration as well as USB bus power regeneration.  Whether these features are beneficial to a particular DAC will heavily depend on how susceptible the DAC design is to upstream USB crap.  Not all DACs in the market today are equally immune to dirty USB from upstream such as from a notebook.

Whom besides Amir has given us a glimpse into how DAC's behave on a Laptop? If we want to call that 6 DAC's now that he's measured using the J-Dunn test (John Atkinson uses this test heavily) while not a trend does show a strong indicator that many DAC's deal just fine with the condition of the SI of the USB out on his Laptop. 

Within my limited collection of DACs with USB interfaces I have examples of one DAC benefiting tremendously SQ wise with ISO REGEN + LPS-1 while another DAC yields no perceptible SQ improvement given the same treatment.

What DAC would that be the shows the improved SQ? It's one of the things that I have asked for multitudinous times of Alex and never received an answer until Amir did the benching he did. 

There are way too many fallacies on both proponents and opponents of USB decrapifiers.  I will list just a few that came into my mind today:

Over-generalizations / Over-simplifications:

* Heard no improvement with device added to my DAC ==> device must be worthless
* Heard big improvement with device added to my DAC ==> device must be universally beneficial with any DAC
* A measurement shows no improvement with device added to my DAC ==> device must be worthless
* A measurement shows visible improvement with device added to my DAC ==> device must be universally beneficial with any DAC

I know MANSR, BE17, ELSDUDE, myself haven't personally went with those generalizations. It's been understood that there may be some DAC's so poorly implemented as to benefit. It's not cut and dry. 

Fallacies:
* No difference observed in a measurement ==> cannot sound different
* Difference observed in a measurement ==> must sound different
There are plenty of real-world counterexamples to either of these
* Relying solely on measurements to judge the sonic merit of a product
* Relying solely on listening to judge the technical merit of a product
* Underestimating the complexity of a modern digital audio system and the ways SQ can be impacted

Here's another: *It can't make a device sound worse. 

Other thoughts:

* Single instrument measurement (with a single graph as output) is far from being an all-encompassing representation of DAC output

* USB de-crapifiers are NOT a panacea

* Sonic benefits of USB de-crapifiers can vary by both DAC and USB source used in the system, with results ranging from big to none

* USB DAC/DDCs are not all equally good at immunizing themselves from upstream USB crap

* Design know-how on effective immunization is relatively recent and not yet widespread (though should become more so with time)

* More USB DACs existing today show vulnerability to upstream USB crap than those that don't (to different extents)

* Galvanic isolation (or lack thereof) is not the only factor impacting SQ of a USB DAC

* Implementation of galvanic isolation can represent a tradeoff, for example jitter aggravation, especially if not carefully designed

* Designing the ability to block AC leakage loops into any device is NOT trivial

My concerns with Amir's measurements are not so much that they are invalid or improperly done, but rather in how he interprets the measurements and reaches over-generalized conclusions with them.

Amir seems to be open to feedback. 

18 minutes ago, plissken said:

He's focusing on the claims made on your own site. He's done two measurements: Jitter and 60 Hz Mains suppression.

When do you think you are going to have some detailed measurements of a DAC's output that isn't what Amir measured with the Schiit Modi 2? 

As long as an inspec USB cable (90ohms?) is used there shouldn't be any impedance mismatch. John Swenson has even said a compliant cable at 3 feet or less is going to give you the best S.I. 

I don't think it's on Amir to proof your own product however. 

Is there anything hes measured so far that you could, in a material manner, disprove?

Regarding jitter, Amir (and/or his followers) have adopted an assumption regarding the total correlation between incoming USB signal jitter and DAC analog output jitter.  Has it occurred to you that some DACs may be capable of complete de-correlation between the two two jitters, i.e. high incoming USB jitter doesn't necessarily translate to high analog output jitter?  Better DAC designs should be able to take a boat load of bad incoming USB jitter and signal integrity (waveform, etc.) and still output excellent analog with no hints of the USB crap coming through.  With such DACs I would not expect the ISO-Regen to yield much tangible SQ benefit, if at all.

27 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

Say there slick, we're still waiting on the posting of your measurements confirming your claims Amir's are in error.

You can blow smoke telling the folks here that he doesn't know what he's doing or how to measure, but how about throwing up some results backing up your mouth?

Maybe cause last I heard neither you nor John even owned the required equipment?

Your posting nonsense.

Sal, welcome back from the ASR ghost town! Out of curiosity I checked that place out and it looks like there's about ten active users and one new post every three hours in the forums. I don't think Alex needs to worry much about anything posted over there. :) 

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

4 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

Regarding jitter, Amir (and/or his followers) have adopted an assumption regarding the total correlation between incoming USB signal jitter and DAC analog output jitter.  Has it occurred to you that some DACs may be capable of complete de-correlation between the two two jitters, i.e. high incoming USB jitter doesn't necessarily translate to high analog output jitter?  Better DAC designs should be able to take a boat load of bad incoming USB jitter and signal integrity (waveform, etc.) and still output excellent analog with no hints of the USB crap coming through.

It has occurred to be because Benchmark Audio connected a 100' cable with very high BER and their DAC was entirely stable and they did this years ago. 

My suggestion: Get an Ethernet based DAC with an ungodly amount of RAM for buffering. 

Just now, kumakuma said:

Sal, welcome back from the ASR ghost town! Out of curiosity I checked that place out and it looks like there's about ten active users and  about one new post every two hours in the forums. I don't think Alex needs to worry much about anything Amir posts. No one's reading it. :) 

They're reading it here....

2 minutes ago, plissken said:

It has occurred to be because Benchmark Audio connected a 100' cable with very high BER and their DAC was entirely stable and they did this years ago. 

My suggestion: Get an Ethernet based DAC with an ungodly amount of RAM for buffering. 

In that specific case with Benchmark Audio, do you know if the digital audio data were transmitted over Ethernet using TCP or UDP protocol?  Just curious.

I agree on the benefits of massive RAM buffering.  When my Auralic Aries implemented RAM buffering with a major firmware update some time ago there was a step-function jump up in perceived SQ.

USB implementations can sound great, but perhaps they are harder or trickier to implement well vs. Ethernet, so we end up with a lot of mediocre or even below-par implementations in USB DACs.

5 minutes ago, plissken said:

They're reading it here....

I'm having a hard time keeping everyone straight. Are you one of those guys who has a secret identity over there? 

14 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Sal, welcome back from the ASR ghost town! Out of curiosity I checked that place out and it looks like there's about ten active users and one new post every three hours in the forums. I don't think Alex needs to worry much about anything posted over there. :) 

Alex and friends seem to be.  LOL

Put up some simple measurements and Alex trys to discredit them screaming foul, you don't know what your doing or how to measure correctly, etc , etc.  All this coming from someone who doesn't own the gear, let alone how to even begin to use it.

As I said, nonsense.  LOL

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

6 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Yes, plissken is "Jinjuku" at ASR (he is more polite here than there).  Dennis (esldude here) is Blumlein88 there.

Got it. I guess "plissken" wasn't available as a handle when he joined Amir's site.