On 3/10/2019 at 1:43 AM, Superdad said:

Probably very little sonic benefit (I can't hear the difference between the new one and the original Mean Well, though others say they do). 

But technically it completely fixes the one Achilles heel of our UltraCap design.  

By shunting to AC mains ground the zero-volt (-ve) "ground" of the SMPS output, high-source-impedance leakage is prevented from ever entering the UltraCap unit.

Unlike typical low-source-impedance leakage--which virtually all SMPS produce a lot of and which our UltraCap units completely block--the high source-impedance variety can get through.  That is because we use transistors--as opposed to mechanical relays--as switches to alternate between the two ultracap banks, and in their off-state the transistors have enough capacitance (total of all of them being about 80pF in the LPS-1, 35pF in the LPS-1.2) to pass high-source-impedance leakage.

So I replaced the Mean Well SMPS with the Uptone internally shunted/grounded SMPS and (with a grounded laptop) there are no more dropouts related to the LPS-1 switching its UltraCap banks. I suppose that proves the theory that said dropouts were caused by a ground loop running through the Mean Well and the PC and not (somehow) through the LPS-1 and the PC. Thanks!

I can't say sound quality improved but it certainly didn't worsen. :)

On 3/9/2019 at 10:16 PM, Charente said:

I have recently acquired a FLINT and will be trying out the EITR as well for DDC duties ... might be an idea to buy an additional EITR before they become unavailable !

I got an additional Eitr just in case 9_9 and I might order a third (it's that good in my system), though Schiit's threat to stop production may just be a way to boost sales..

18 hours ago, Abtr said:

Schiit's threat to stop production may just be a way to boost sales..

Good to hear your drop-outs are cured ... I also got the Uptone modified Meanwell, altho' I wasn't experiencing your problems as much, but I feel better ! 😀

The EITR is currently unavailable here at Shiit-Europe.

In case the EITR does get dropped, I've tried an alternative DDC (which I already owned before EITR), the Armature HECATE (by Audiophonics), also 5v injected from the LPS-1 ... and it needs this. The HECATE is also good... little or no difference to my ears ... and virtually the same price over here.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

On 3/31/2019 at 8:32 AM, Charente said:

In case the EITR does get dropped, I've tried an alternative DDC (which I already owned before EITR), the Armature HECATE (by Audiophonics), also 5v injected from the LPS-1 ... and it needs this. The HECATE is also good... little or no difference to my ears ... and virtually the same price over here.

I tried the Armature Hecate: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/digital-interfaces/armature-hecate-xmos-xcore-208-usb-spdif-asynchronous-interface-p-11412.html

Interesting experiment. I must say that the Hecate sounds very good relative to the three other USB to S/PDIF converters I own (Wyred4Sound Remedy, Mutec MC-1.2, Audio-GD DI). But, to my ears and in my system, the Hecate isn't quite as good as Eitr. Compared to Eitr  the Hecate sounds slightly less natural and less detailed and becomes a bit fatiguing after a while; even with clean 5V injection from LPS-1 (which makes a difference).

The architecture of the Hecate board appears to be very similar to the Intona USB to USB galvanic isolator. The Intona benefits most from 5V injection at its output which indicates that the USB input interface itself generates 5V noise which defeats the (inductive) galvanic isolation. With the Hecate USB to S/PDIF converter this noise may 'leak' through the coaxial output into the DAC circuitry.

I think the superior SQ of the Eitr is the result of galvanic isolation of the (USB powered) input interface plus providing separate regulated linear power for the S/PDIF output circuit.

BTW, I don't quite understand how Eitr benefits from clean 5V injection at its input, but it does in my system. If it is an audible jitter issue then it should be measurable.. :confused:

@Abtr ... your findings are intriguing ... I didn't detect the differences you identified on my GMB/MJ2/AFO setup but they are on the warmish side as a combo and that might explain it. So, I will set up the EITR/LPS-1 on my other system which is actually a bit more revealing IMO ... Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > LYR2 > Aeon Flow Open HP's. I'll give it (and my ears/brain) a day or two to settle down.

EDIT: EITR is STILL out of stock at Schiit UK & Netherlands ... worrying ! 😟

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

@jaaptina ... yes indeed ... HECATE is the European version of the F1, distributed here by Armature/Audiophonics in France. They also replicate HOLO gear as well.

Following @Abtr 's remarks earlier, I have today tried EITR with 5v injected by an LPS-1 in my secondary office system. I have to concur with him. Isolated from the computer's 'dirty' USB power, the result is really very good. The sound presentation is a bit smoother than the HECATE/F1 DDC I was using before but still with good clarity and detail, together with nice body and weight to the music. A relaxing but engaging listening experience.

I hadn't tried the LPS-1 in this way before ... my understanding was that EITR only uses USB power for low-power handshaking which is subsequently isolated and could have no effect on the signal passing through. It would seem that this may not be the case, since there is an audible difference between with and without the LPS-1.

However, I am getting an occasional fleeting low-level glitch, which I didn't have before, and at this stage I'm not sure of the cause. Any pointers would be appreciated.

10 hours ago, Charente said:

. my understanding was that EITR only uses USB power for low-power handshaking which is subsequently isolated and could have no effect on the signal passing through.

No, I’m pretty sure that the entire USB input stage of the Eitr—including the Cmedia processor—is powered from USB 5VBUS.  Otherwise, to maintain any data isolation, they would have to transfer power across the isolation moat—using a transformer and switching converter—and I’m not seeing that on the board.

Thank-you @Superdad ... makes sense as to why there is an audible difference.

5 hours ago, amolan said:

Hi Guys,

I´m not really following this discussion, but are you using another 5v ac power instead the original one ? is it improve EITR sound ? Can you give some more details about it ?

Thanks in advance,

Alexandre .

It's not about Eitr's 6V AC power supply but about replacing the 5V DC USB power at its input with clean 5V DC power (from an LPS-1). For 5V injection you can use an adapter like this one:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/various-adapters/usb-b-adapter-cable-for-55-21mm-female-power-supply-p-8332.html

I hope this helps.

2 hours ago, Abtr said:

I only know dropouts. Can you explain what you mean with a fleeting low-level glitch?

Difficult to describe .... a brief soft skip every so often ... but not like a dropout that I experienced before, which is quite jarring by comparison.

Having gone thru a process of elimination, It seems this may have something to do with SonarWorks True-Fi  that I use between the Audirvana player and the EITR (my ageing ears appreciate the headphone frequency response correction !). Strangely, I can't hear it with the HECATE DDC + LPS-1.

Possibly something to do with clipping if the True-Fi output level is too high ... might the EITR be more susceptible to that ? The DAC ? Dunno.

I'll do some further listening and swap-outs.

A music aside ... I've been listening to the album 'Remember Love' - Houston Person & Ron Carter ... just tenor saxophone and double-bass ... a stunning recording wonderfully reproduced in my office system with the EITR + LPS-1. Ron Carter's double-bass is magnificently clear and natural.

3 hours ago, Charente said:

A music aside ... I've been listening to the album 'Remember Love' - Houston Person & Ron Carter ... just tenor saxophone and double-bass ... a stunning recording wonderfully reproduced in my office system with the EITR + LPS-1. Ron Carter's double-bass is magnificently clear and natural.

this really is wonderful -- thanks!  it does appear to have bass parts that are clipping -- is that the recording or are my speakers being overloaded?

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
1 hour ago, jcn3 said:

this really is wonderful -- thanks!  it does appear to have bass parts that are clipping -- is that the recording or are my speakers being overloaded?

you should see that in the Roon track graph if the recording is "red-lining" ... which the 3db attenuation feature when enabled handles nicely to mitigate DAC clipping.

Would have to be a very bad engineer to mess that up on a 2 instrument performance.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

21 hours ago, Charente said:

Difficult to describe .... a brief soft skip every so often ... but not like a dropout that I experienced before, which is quite jarring by comparison.

Having gone thru a process of elimination, It seems this may have something to do with SonarWorks True-Fi  that I use between the Audirvana player and the EITR (my ageing ears appreciate the headphone frequency response correction !). Strangely, I can't hear it with the HECATE DDC + LPS-1.

Possibly something to do with clipping if the True-Fi output level is too high ... might the EITR be more susceptible to that ? The DAC ? Dunno.

I'll do some further listening and swap-outs.

The only thing I can think of are USB CRC errors, to which Eitr may have less tolerance than the Hecate. Then there must be a level of CRC errors per second that doesn't result in a dropout but just a 'fleeting glitch' in Eitr and no audible problem in the Hecate (Singxer-F1). Don't know if that's even possible.. 

• 1 month later...

Sadly, they have not been available for MONTHS in either Schiit Europe store. Perhaps, supply issues with the EU power supplies ?

• 1 month later...

A few weeks ago I ordered another Eitr from the Schiit website for a friend. I didn't receive a shipping notice at 6-26 so I asked if there is a further delay. I got this response from Schiit: "Unfortunately, we did not receive the necessary parts to resume production of the Eitr. We are estimating several more weeks before we are able to resume production." So production of the Eitr will be resumed. :)

Thank-you @Abtr for the heads-up. Good to know they haven't canned it (yet). I wonder which parts are in short supply.

• 3 weeks later...

Just caught this comment from Jason Stoddard on another place ...

quote: "Yep, I think we have one more run of Eitr on deck, then it's gone. Eitr and Wyrd are both done when the stocks run out--USB has gotten so much better that there's not much use for these devices anymore."

So, there we have it ... "USB has gotten so much better" ...  I'm not sure I agree with that statement. How so ?