11 hours ago, One and a half said:

The Topaz for example reduces a 6000V transient to mV.

Well, I had a hard time sourcing the brand names you mentioned, but I found this readily available (and returnable if it doesn't work out).  Looks like it ticks all the boxes so I ordered it and it'll be here Monday, we shall see:

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Isolation-Transformer-Outlet/dp/B00006HPFH/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1528567477&sr=8-5&keywords=tripp+lite+isolator

1 hour ago, buonassi said:

Well, I had a hard time sourcing the brand names you mentioned, but I found this readily available (and returnable if it doesn't work out).  Looks like it ticks all the boxes so I ordered it and it'll be here Monday, we shall see:

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Isolation-Transformer-Outlet/dp/B00006HPFH/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1528567477&sr=8-5&keywords=tripp+lite+isolator

Should stop the noise, it will be a good test.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

22 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I'm surprised Schiit didn't have a recommendation.

Well, maybe not so much a 'recommendation', but Mike Moffat did comment about this some months ago ... which I quoted in an earlier post back in August ...

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

10 hours ago, diecaster said:

That is a lot to spend to use it just for the Eitr. 

So funny, I thought the exact same thing, and said, what the hell, I'll just get a Singxer F1 - and still may, we'll see.  Return period still open on Eitr.  

Eitr handily beat out my USB solution, which is the nano iUSB3.0 by iFi.  Very good results with it over straight USB - but even better results with Eitr by itself.  I really didn't want there to be an improvement and had fully planned on sending this thing back - but I had to try it based on what I was hearing on the inter-webs.  Seriously, how much better can it get that reclocked, clean power choked, Asynch USB?  Turns out, quite a noticeable amount.  At least for my DAC.  Hence the search for better isolation. 

To be fair, I haven't hear other USB>COAX/SPDIF converters, so take my enthusiasm as you will.  But there was not much A/B that had to take place to put the Eitr in 1st place against iUSB3.0. Easily repeatable and identifiable SQ characteristics.  

9 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I'm surprised Schiit didn't have a recommendation.

I've emailed them - will update you guys when I hear back.

22 minutes ago, buonassi said:

So funny, I thought the exact same thing, and said, what the hell, I'll just get a Singxer F1 - and still may, we'll see.  Return period still open on Eitr.  

Eitr handily beat out my USB solution, which is the nano iUSB3.0 by iFi.  Very good results with it over straight USB - but even better results with Eitr by itself.  I really didn't want there to be an improvement and had fully planned on sending this thing back - but I had to try it based on what I was hearing on the inter-webs.  Seriously, how much better can it get that reclocked, clean power choked, Asynch USB?  Turns out, quite a noticeable amount.  At least for my DAC.  Hence the search for better isolation. 

To be fair, I haven't hear other USB>COAX/SPDIF converters, so take my enthusiasm as you will.  But there was not much A/B that had to take place to put the Eitr in 1st place against iUSB3.0. Easily repeatable and identifiable SQ characteristics.  

Which DAC do you use? I have tried the Mutec MC-3+ USB interface and I have the Eitr, the DigiOne and the old M2Tech hiFace Evo. I prefer the DigiOne to the Eitr and did not like the Mutec. I have a Naim DAC. I have occasional pops wih the Eitr but they are quite rare. I personally would not add an isolation transformer just for the Eitr. If an IT, then for the whole system. What is your transport? 

I'm using a Mac Mini (as my transport), Audirvana+ and a Metrum Amethyst DAC.

I was just notified on SBAF that an isolation transformer probably won't work, here's why.  Not sure if this is accurate or not, I'm not an EE:

http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/schiit-eitr-preview-thread.4729/page-40#post-211481

Also, @nbpf, I'm interested in building a digione hat / PI, but don't even know where to begin.  I'd have to do more research and commit to the renderer topography.  Would you consider the DigiOne the ultimate spdif (coax) solution?

1 hour ago, buonassi said:

I'm using a Mac Mini (as my transport), Audirvana+ and a Metrum Amethyst DAC.

I was just notified on SBAF that an isolation transformer probably won't work, here's why.  Not sure if this is accurate or not, I'm not an EE:

http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/schiit-eitr-preview-thread.4729/page-40#post-211481

Also, @nbpf, I'm interested in building a digione hat / PI, but don't even know where to begin.  I'd have to do more research and commit to the renderer topography.  Would you consider the DigiOne the ultimate spdif (coax) solution?

Custom HiFi Cables make, among others, AC power supplies. The man behind the company is Sean Jacobs. He is very competent and responsive. Perhaps you could ask whether they have a solution for the problem. Or you return the Eitr. There are many good USB to S/PDIF interfaces. Perhaps you could try the Sonore ultraDigital. Or you could try an UpTone Audio USB Regen between the Mac Mini and the Metrum if you think that the USB input of the Metrum is not inferior to its S/PDIF input. For the DigiOne, you can use distributions that work out of the box: DietPi, Volumio, etc. I do not like their web interfaces and use a minimal Raspbian with remote access via ssh. Configuration is done via editing mpd.conf and upmpdcli.conf. I can make available a plug and play image if you want to give it a try.  

I'm awfully late to this party but I recently purchased an Eitr and, while the thread focus has shifted a bit, I just wanted to add my impressions. After more than 2 years using a Bluesound Node 2 for my music enjoyment I decided to revisit A+ and Amarra for various reasons. So, I resurrected my 2010 Mac mini (running High Sierra) and downloaded the latest builds.

Even though I already have a couple of USB-SPDIF converters (SOtM dX-USB HD and Bel Canto mLink), my Eitr curiosity got the best of me. I contemplated just getting the Gen 5 upgrade for my Bifrost MB but opted for the Eitr so I could use it with either my Bifrost MB or Qute EX DACs. (Chord no longer develops USB drivers for their older DACs and USB on the Qute EX hasn't worked since El Capitan, I believe.)

Here's what the chain looks like today:

Mac mini • Audioquest Carbon • Schiit Eitr • Black Cat SilverStar 75! • Chord Qute EX (w/Teddy Pardo 12/2) • Decware SE84UFO • Omega Super 3i

In a nutshell, the Eitr improved the sound quality to such a large degree I thought I must be mistaken. When removed or replaced with another converter .. there is NO mistake about it! This is by far the best bang-for-the-buck audio component I've yet experienced. Great Schiit.

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

ok, I have a prediction - they will (obliquely) tell you that a change in PS will not matter

Probably ! ... My own experience ... I got an AirLink Balanced Transformer (EU only) with the EITR, DAC & Amp connected and it certainly reduces the incidence of interruption ... but more to the point, it has enhanced the SQ generally (to my ears). Others, more qualified than me, can probably explain why, technically. I can live with the now occasional 'pops'.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

AN UPDATE!  I bought an A/V consumer grade power strip filter/surge protector while out and about today - and that didn't do a thing.  What was interesting is the clarity popped a bit and I thought there was a blacker background (so filtering is doing something), but dynamics were lacking (seemed a bit compressed).  So back it'll go.  

However, I moved the Eitr to another circuit in my home and I don't get the complete drop outs anymore.  When I say complete, I mean the Eitr would fail and stop playing entirely.  But on the different circuit, there's a soft pop and blip in the music (very minor) but it keeps playing!

5 hours ago, Charente said:

I can live with the now occasional 'pops'.

and I think I'll join ya, because:

11 hours ago, Melvin said:

When removed or replaced with another converter .. there is NO mistake about it! This is by far the best bang-for-the-buck audio component I've yet experienced

I'm just not convinced any USB interface is as good as this "gen 5" from Schiit.  The hiface2 XMOS in my Amethyst is good, but nowhere near the quality of Eitr.  The only thing I'm still considering is the digiOne by allo because my DAC's coax spdif inputs are galvanically isolated.  But I have to make sure that the AUs I have configured to work in Audirvana will be sent to the digiOne as a renderer.  I must run FabFilterProQ2 to correct headphone standing waves, and I don't think you can use AU plugins unless you're directly connected by USB.  Could be wrong.

I have tried PC > USB > Brooklyn DAC+ and compared with PC > Eitr > Brooklyn DAC+ and the improvement in SQ using the Eitr is not subtle. See S/PDIF Battle: Mutec, Singxer, Lynx, Rednet, Eitr, Et Al.

The Schiit Eitr doesn’t make the sound “different.” The ESI Juli@ XTe is very neutral and does a great job of not coloring the sound. When compared directly to a Lynx E22, the Lynx (sorry for this overused expression) lifts a veil. Clarity, detail, and dynamics all improve with the Lynx above the ESI without changing the color of the music in any way.

That’s what the Eitr does. Switching between the ESI to the Schiit Eitr removes a bit of blurriness you didn’t realize was there. It doesn’t accentuate anything or color anything, it just allows the music to flow unfettered from the computer to your DAC.

It may very well be the best USB solution I’ve ever heard. No hint of the digital hash or swoosh I associate with USB. Beautifully black background. Effortless.

On 6/10/2018 at 11:52 PM, buonassi said:

AN UPDATE!  I bought an A/V consumer grade power strip filter/surge protector while out and about today - and that didn't do a thing.  What was interesting is the clarity popped a bit and I thought there was a blacker background (so filtering is doing something), but dynamics were lacking (seemed a bit compressed).  So back it'll go.  

However, I moved the Eitr to another circuit in my home and I don't get the complete drop outs anymore.  When I say complete, I mean the Eitr would fail and stop playing entirely.  But on the different circuit, there's a soft pop and blip in the music (very minor) but it keeps playing!

and I think I'll join ya, because:

I'm just not convinced any USB interface is as good as this "gen 5" from Schiit.  The hiface2 XMOS in my Amethyst is good, but nowhere near the quality of Eitr.  The only thing I'm still considering is the digiOne by allo because my DAC's coax spdif inputs are galvanically isolated.  But I have to make sure that the AUs I have configured to work in Audirvana will be sent to the digiOne as a renderer.  I must run FabFilterProQ2 to correct headphone standing waves, and I don't think you can use AU plugins unless you're directly connected by USB.  Could be wrong.

I considered buying a Digione but I didn't see anything special about its clocking.  WIth USB, you can use a reclocker like the ISO Regen, which even with a USBridge substantially improves performance out of the Eitr.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

7 hours ago, davide256 said:

WIth USB, you can use a reclocker like the ISO Regen, which even with a USBridge substantially improves performance out of the Eitr.

I couldn't perceive any difference when I placed the iUSB3.0 "regen" between Mac and Eitr.  Not saying there wasn't one, it could very well be that either my system couldn't resolve it,  my hearing isn't sufficiently trained, or that the iFi unit isn't as good as an UPTone.  But it's good to hear these anecdotes nonetheless. 

35 minutes ago, buonassi said:

I couldn't perceive any difference when I placed the iUSB3.0 "regen" between Mac and Eitr.  Not saying there wasn't one, it could very well be that either my system couldn't resolve it,  my hearing isn't sufficiently trained, or that the iFi unit isn't as good as an UPTone.  But it's good to hear these anecdotes nonetheless. 

I'm sure there wasn't much of a difference with the iUSB3.0, else it would have a "fan club" thread on CA. ISO Regen works, the USBridge SQ isn't acceptable to me without it. The funny thing I'm learning is how important clean, stable DC power supplies are for streamer/reclocker, I'm spending  more on the power supplies than the gear they power.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

@davide256 - any theory as to why things before the eitr would matter?  If reclocking is taking place and the coax coming out is not carrying any noise due to it being isolated, you'd think that'd be the end of the SQ gain.  

Not saying it's not possible and I fully intend to play around with a regen before the eitr some more.  For now, I need to just enjoy the sound a bit.  I've been searching too hard for SQ gains of late, and need to remember to just chill and enjoy the music.

ps, is that an ECP torpedo build in your avatar photo?  

7 hours ago, buonassi said:

@davide256 - any theory as to why things before the eitr would matter?  If reclocking is taking place and the coax coming out is not carrying any noise due to it being isolated, you'd think that'd be the end of the SQ gain.  

Not saying it's not possible and I fully intend to play around with a regen before the eitr some more.  For now, I need to just enjoy the sound a bit.  I've been searching too hard for SQ gains of late, and need to remember to just chill and enjoy the music.

ps, is that an ECP torpedo build in your avatar photo?  

1. The quality of the 5v supply on the USB connection to DAC seems to matter.  ISO Regen allows you to "pick your poison" for a 7V PS that is used for USB 5V out when the "replace" switch is on. With HDPlex PS it was a minor difference, with SPS500, a major difference. I have an LPS 1.2 PS ordered, by all accounts it does an even better job than the SPS500 with ISO Regen and microRendu family.

2. Seems that the reclock/LRC circuit hardening in less expensive DAC's isn't good enough unless you buy a very expensive USB DAC. The only times I've seen people shrug at the ISO Regen in their reviews are with $5k DAC's. Uptone Audio site has their technical explanations, all I care about is that its an improvement I can't live without ( well, maybe someday I can afford a $5k DAC...)

Avatar photo is a Hafler DH200 in the middle of a Musical Concepts PS board upgrade I did several years ago.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I'm now convinced there is something to be gained from a regen type of device before eitr.  I'm using the iFi iUSB3.0 nano, which uses a low noise power supply and slip streams it (5v) into the eitr (or DAC).  It also has noise cancellation and a reclocker on the USB data lines.  

When used between a computer and DAC - the gains are readily apparent and I enjoyed it this way for a few months.  Enter Eitr.  Eitr, instead of the iUSB was a step up.  Just as big a step up as the iUSB was from a straight DAC connection.

When I first placed the iUSB in front of Eitr, I did so before becoming familiar with the SQ gain the Eitr alone produced, so I didn't pick up on any difference.  I set iUSB aside (actually listed it for sale).  But after A/B-ing more last night and tonight, and being more familiar with the Eitr by itself now, I could spot differences with iUSB in front.  The differences aren't huge - not as big as when I first heard Eitr.  But a small change is there.  

It took me further A/B to determine if I was hearing simply a difference, or if there was a real quality gain present.  It seems that there is a real gain if the below holds true:

volume in decibles is the same with or without these regen components in the chain in front of Eitr.  

If that is true, there is a gain.  Allow me to explain:  what I'm hearing presents itself primarily as just a hair louder, but I don't think it is actually louder because I don't have the urge to turn it down and the loudest passages are more tolerable than without the regen in the chain.  It could be that it sounds louder because the background is a tad blacker.  Furthermore, fast drum fills are easier to follow and pick out individual transient strikes, resonances, and decay.  Lastly, the stage seems to open up just a bit wider (something I was previously horrible at judging - but I'm becoming a better listener it seems).   Despite the expansion of stage, center image is very precise and there are no cold spots in the stage.  This improvement also came with a very slight timbre change - but I still can't articulate this further, despite lots of A/B.  My 'feelings' are that the timbre has changed slightly off from where it should be, but damn, I don't know.  My brain is kinda roasted right now. 

So there you have it.  Different and likely a touch better with iUSB.  

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, sound_wave said:

Hi, I was wondering if it’s possible to use a power bank for the Eitr?

im considering something like this 

https://www.ipoweradd.com/products/poweradd-pilot-pro-32000mah-power-bank-portable-charger-for-laptop

No, EITR needs 6VAC ... not Direct Current. Schiit do not recommend any other type of PS.

Schiit Specs:- 

Power Supply Type: linear, with precision low-noise voltage regulators
AC Power: 9VA 6VAC wall-wart
Power Consumption: 2.5W typical

45 minutes ago, Charente said:

No, EITR needs 6VAC ... not Direct Current. Schiit do not recommend any other type of PS.

Schiit Specs:- 

Power Supply Type: linear, with precision low-noise voltage regulators
AC Power: 9VA 6VAC wall-wart
Power Consumption: 2.5W typical

Thanks for the info. 

Mac Mini > PS Audio Digital Link III > Primare I30 > Dynaudio Focus 110