It seems that Schiit believe that the advent of UAC2 in Windows 10 and advances in MAC OS's have made the need for USB 'handlers' irrelevant. They also believe that their UNISON technology will overcome any remaining issues. But if there is no EITR/UNISON equivalent replacement then we seem to be reliant on buying new product equipped with UNISON... unless there will be an upgrade path for existing gear, in my case Gungnir MB. For me, shipping from France for an upgrade is a pain.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

35 minutes ago, Charente said:

Just caught this comment from Jason Stoddard on another place ...

quote: "Yep, I think we have one more run of Eitr on deck, then it's gone. Eitr and Wyrd are both done when the stocks run out--USB has gotten so much better that there's not much use for these devices anymore."

So, there we have it ... "USB has gotten so much better" ...  I'm not sure I agree with that statement. How so ?

Indeed, how so? Having one more run of Eitr means Eitr does sell. And if USB has gotten so much better, then why do devices such as Eitr sell? And "not much use" means there's still use.

I read this as too much trouble dealing with unsophisticated customers.  Gather this was a very popular device they were happy to profit off up to a point.  

Reminds of how an ex motorcycle racer (American not European)  described their BMW scooter to me.  Great if you've been at this your whole life, but I can't imagine someone picking it and having any clue what to do with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my (third) EITR, which I ordered 2 months ago. :) I currently use the very nice RME ADI-2 DAC. The ADI-2 is a modern DAC with glowing reviews and its proprietary USB implementation is supposed to be among the best. But for audio streaming, EITR to S/PDIF subjectively sounds better than ADI-2's own USB input. Moreover, I did blind listening tests a few weeks ago and with the EITR I correctly identified the output polarity of the ADI-2 (which can be switched for both channels simultaneously with the programmable remote control) in 15 out of 15 tests; a 1 in 32768 chance! I couldn't replicate this result using the ADI-2's USB input (8 correct guesses in 15 tests). IMO and in my system the higher level of distortion of the ADI-2 USB interface made it impossible to hear the difference. (BTW, I prefer the ADI-2's inverted output polarity, and I will ask RME about this because inverting output polarity, which is done in the digital domain, really shouldn't produce an audible difference.)

Anyhow, I think Jason Stoddard's assertion that "USB has gotten so much better that there's not much use for these devices [EITR] anymore", is not true. At least it's not compatible with my personal experience with EITR in my system. Indeed, SHIIT may see EITR as some kind of threat to their new UNISON technology.

3 hours ago, Abtr said:

...because inverting output polarity, which is done in the digital domain, really shouldn't produce an audible difference.

What makes you say that?  I have always been able to hear an audible difference inverting absolute polarity. It is not a huge difference, but once the ear is trained for it it is not hard.  And from you above report, it would seem your ears agree. :D

7 hours ago, Abtr said:

Anyhow, I think Jason Stoddard's assertion that "USB has gotten so much better that there's not much use for these devices [EITR] anymore", is not true.

I agree with you and understand the consumer education portion of being the type of company they are in the fast moving market they have to survive in.  Maybe it remains as an off the menu, once in a while we have them, thing.

19 hours ago, Superdad said:

What makes you say that?  I have always been able to hear an audible difference inverting absolute polarity. It is not a huge difference, but once the ear is trained for it it is not hard.  And from you above report, it would seem your ears agree. :D

The difference is not subtle and not restricted to bass below 30Hz, in which range some claim to hear a slight difference as a result of polarity inversion. I hear differences in bass, mid, and high range, with music that doesn't contain frequencies below 40Hz.

On 7/25/2019 at 8:49 PM, Abtr said:

.... Anyhow, I think Jason Stoddard's assertion that "USB has gotten so much better that there's not much use for these devices [EITR] anymore", is not true. At least it's not compatible with my personal experience with EITR in my system. Indeed, SHIIT may see EITR as some kind of threat to their new UNISON technology.

Agreed ... you make a valid point, IMO ,about the threat to UNISON based products.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

On 7/25/2019 at 2:49 PM, Abtr said:

Anyhow, I think Jason Stoddard's assertion that "USB has gotten so much better that there's not much use for these devices [EITR] anymore", is not true. At least it's not compatible with my personal experience with EITR in my system. Indeed, SHIIT may see EITR as some kind of threat to their new UNISON technology.

i'm not sure why you would say that the eitr is a threat -- the eitr is simply a gen5 usb board in a chassis.  it certainly is a good board and anyone with an eitr or gungir or yggy with the gen5 board has experienced the benefits.

i think that jason made that comment because he assumes that others have made the same progress with usb as schiit has which isn't necessarily true.  in fact, you even proved that out since the rme device usb input didn't measure up.

it will be interesting to see what unison has to offer.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > sennheiser hd600

No question over quality of EITR ... I think it essentially competes with their UNISON technology because the EITR uses a C-Media USB receiver, whereas UNISON will be their own-brew. It's more likely a marketing decision.

2 minutes ago, Charente said:

No question over quality of EITR ... I think it essentially competes with their UNISON technology because the EITR uses a C-Media USB receiver, whereas UNISON will be their own-brew. It's more likely a marketing decision.

we'll have to disagree for the moment on whether unison is just marketing hype -- i can't see schiit bothering with developing unison unless they think they can bring something more/better to the table, otherwise where is the ROI?

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > sennheiser hd600

No, I don't think it's 'hype' ... although the jury is out about how good UNISON might be ... for now. I suspect all their C-Media based products will eventually disappear once UNISON hits.

16 hours ago, jcn3 said:

we'll have to disagree for the moment on whether unison is just marketing hype -- i can't see schiit bothering with developing unison unless they think they can bring something more/better to the table, otherwise where is the ROI?

Not necessarily hype, but why discontinue a very good USB 'decrapifier' just before UNISON hits the market? SCHIIT says EITR doesn't sell but I can't really believe that..

Now you've struck upon the problem.  Take one device well within the budget range of anyone.  Anyone's computer is a gigantic out of control mess attempting class leading poor power and noise management.  Anyone is also a self described audiophile

When said Schitt device fails to bring all else in their chaotic world to a halting stop they pursue a very easily trackable course of action.  Whine on the internet, complain effusively to support in a chain of emails, return EITR.  

Money might be collected, devices shipped.  Hard to call the above a sale though.  

• 3 weeks later...

EITR back in stock at Schiit Europe (Netherlands) ... ordered ! Might one of the last ones available ... as Jason Stoddard said, this is the last production run.

30 minutes ago, Abtr said:

Did he actually say it is the last production run? Can you provide a link? If so, I'll buy some more. ;)

PM sent 

19 hours ago, Charente said:

PM sent 

JS said (7-15-2019) "I think we have one more run of Eitr on deck, then it's gone." I'm not sure what the "I think" clause refers to. 9_9

Perhaps production and stocking of EITRs cost SHIIT more money than they earn from selling them. I can't think of any other economical reason to stop production. EITR must be selling really slow..  

26 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I can.  It might sell well and make money, but a small co. might want to focus limited engineering or sales/production resources elsewhere.

Really? Engineering has already been done it's just production and sales cost. Shiit could simply employ some extra personnel and maybe raise the price of EITR a bit. Or do you think they want to stay a small co.? 

2 minutes ago, Abtr said:

... according to JS "USB has gotten so much better that there's not much use for these devices anymore." 

This is the key 'snake oil' line IMHO ...  JS: "USB has gotten so much better..." . I hear no evidence for that .. out of my Win10 PC or iMac or MacMini, EITR improves the schiit out of the USB coming from those computers.