I just wanted to add to this thread.  I just received a used Eitr to replace my dead DXIO Pro3z that I absolutely loved.  The Eitr might present a little different, but it too has proven to be an outstanding SPDIF converter.  I’m still experimenting at this point, but the sound quality I missed since the Pro3z gave up is back.

I’m running Windows Server 2016 (kernel streaming) to an iFi iUSB2 to the Eitr and then an RCA SPDIF cable to my DAC.  A big thanks to lasker98 for the Windows Server driver install tip.  It worked flawlessly!

• 2 weeks later...

@TJHUB ... welcome to the EITR club. I continue to enjoy it in my chain. I haven't bought any significant equipment for quite a while ... doesn't seem any point ... it all just works very well to satisfy my ears and the EITR is a significant contributor. Spent lots on music tho' !!

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

I recently added an Eitr to my office system.  My Bifrost multibit did not have the latest Gen 5 usb, so I added the Eitr.  It is a very nice improvement over usb input.  Well worth the money.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

@Blake .. Agreed ... I did the same with my GMB ... shipping it off to have it upgraded to Gen5 was too expensive overall from here ... the EITR was a more cost effective route and it occasionally serves duty with other transportable devices I have. Although, I might be tempted by Mike Moffat's new in-house USB interface when it becomes available. We'll see.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

• 2 months later...

@FIndingit ... A 'completely new' DDC I think is speculative, but the new USB interface itself is not and a recent video with the Schiit principals suggested strongly that it is almost ready and may roll-out as soon as early next year. I would suggest then that any Schiit product with a USB interface would be upgraded to the new one, when it is available.

Quite a journey Robert !

8 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

As some might remember I was a big fan of the Eitr, back then chained after a Sotm sms200.

But curiousity drove me to building a Windows Server 2016 based audio pc, that made the Eitr unnecessary. A dadicetad USB card with clock feeding my dac directly by usb whas a huge step forward.  Every  upgrade after (ranging from Audiophile Optimizer to ssd filters, reducing EMI to quality power supplies) they all had a positive impact on sound. I wasand still am really really happy with the result (both sound quality and flexibility in software).

All this time I had the Eitr laying around, never sold it. So an idea popped up in my mind: why not adding the Eitr to the chain again. It was a bit of a struggle, because the Eitr driver didn’t match very well with Windows Server. But after a while it was up and running.

Now the Eitr was fed by a Sotm tx-usbexp card with Sclk48 clock, powered separately by a lps. Both were connected by a very short Curious USB cable. The Eitr fed the AMR DP777 dac with a Supra Trico spdif cable (RCA to BNC). 

O my god, this “old” little device made everything sound so natural and lifted the the system to a higher level. Placement was better, voices were spot on. Bass seemed less at first, later I found out it was much tighter with more grip. 

The Eitr was and still is a great ddc for a very reasonable price. And even with much more expensive gear it can still upgrade the sound.

Really looking forward to the Eitr 2. I hope it’s got a BNC out this time.

Another anecdote that what happens before Eitr matters.  I wasn't surprised to read this having noted a positive difference with my own "pre eitr" experimentation.  Good post, thanks.

15 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

As some might remember I was a big fan of the Eitr, back then chained after a Sotm sms200.

But curiousity drove me to building a Windows Server 2016 based audio pc, that made the Eitr unnecessary. A dadicetad USB card with clock feeding my dac directly by usb whas a huge step forward.  Every  upgrade after (ranging from Audiophile Optimizer to ssd filters, reducing EMI to quality power supplies) they all had a positive impact on sound. I wasand still am really really happy with the result (both sound quality and flexibility in software).

All this time I had the Eitr laying around, never sold it. So an idea popped up in my mind: why not adding the Eitr to the chain again. It was a bit of a struggle, because the Eitr driver didn’t match very well with Windows Server. But after a while it was up and running.

Now the Eitr was fed by a Sotm tx-usbexp card with Sclk48 clock, powered separately by a lps. Both were connected by a very short Curious USB cable. The Eitr fed the AMR DP777 dac with a Supra Trico spdif cable (RCA to BNC). 

O my god, this “old” little device made everything sound so natural and lifted the the system to a higher level. Placement was better, voices were spot on. Bass seemed less at first, later I found out it was much tighter with more grip. 

The Eitr was and still is a great ddc for a very reasonable price. And even with much more expensive gear it can still upgrade the sound.

Really looking forward to the Eitr 2. I hope it’s got a BNC out this time.

@Lebouwsky  

out of curiosity. Do you plug the sotm tx-usbexp into the PCI slot, or use a riser?. I think sotm does not recommend the usage of risers. I understand that a proper mechanical isolation with a riser is more difficult than inserting the card into the slot. However, I think is possible to manage that, and  a riser would decrease a lot of EMI into the card. 

Best

34 minutes ago, Cortes said:

@Lebouwsky  

out of curiosity. Do you plug the sotm tx-usbexp into the PCI slot, or use a riser?. I think sotm does not recommend the usage of risers. I understand that a proper mechanical isolation with a riser is more difficult than inserting the card into the slot. However, I think is possible to manage that, and  a riser would decrease a lot of EMI into the card. 

Best

A Streacom pcie x1 flexibel riser connects the mb to the Sotm usb card. It’s best to insert the card directly in the mb slot, but the Streacom fc10 case doesn’t allow that. 

https://www.quietpc.com/st-pcie-1x-riser

It was the shortest I could find, build quality is very good. Use cupper foil to shield it. I’m planning to buy a detector to identify and quantify EMI, but so far I’m quite happy with the result.

45 minutes ago, Lebouwsky said:

A Streacom pcie x1 flexibel riser connects the mb to the Sotm usb card. It’s best to insert the card directly in the mb slot, but the Streacom fc10 case doesn’t allow that. 

https://www.quietpc.com/st-pcie-1x-riser

It was the shortest I could find, build quality is very good. Use cupper foil to shield it. I’m planning to buy a detector to identify and quantify EMI, but so far I’m quite happy with the result.

funny, I just bought today this:

https://www.amazon.com/Tenmars-TM-192D-3-axis-Magnetic-Logger/dp/B00WFT0EDC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542889526&sr=8-1&keywords=tm-192D

I think it will be usefull to monitor EMI at home and office and spot dangerous radiation for health.                           

Why insert the card into the slot is better?. What is lost doing that, timming?. 

7 hours ago, TubeMan said:

To further improve sounds from Schiit Etir,
I strongly recommend replacing the AC / AC power adapter to a R.Core 6.3V,
it lifts the sound into a new dimension,
no matter what Shiit says,

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=R-core+6%2C3v&_sacat=0

Looks interesting.  Do you need to fit a US plug to that?  How long have you been using it?

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

8 hours ago, Cortes said:

https://www.amazon.com/Tenmars-TM-192D-3-axis-Magnetic-Logger/dp/B00WFT0EDC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542889526&sr=8-1&keywords=tm-192D

I think it will be usefull to monitor EMI at home and office and spot dangerous radiation for health.                           

Why insert the card into the slot is better?. What is lost doing that, timming?. 

What are the odds!! 

I guess putting the card directly in the slot shortens the path. Cables will always influence the signal in some manner. But then again, with a riser the mb and the card might interfear less. 

It is not my intention to hijack this Eitr thread to a diy server subject. Feel free to pm me if you want to know more about the build. 

14 hours ago, TubeMan said:

To further improve sounds from Schiit Etir,
I strongly recommend replacing the AC / AC power adapter to a R.Core 6.3V,
it lifts the sound into a new dimension,
no matter what Shiit says,

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=R-core+6%2C3v&_sacat=0

What is the purpose to use an A-C/A-C adapter anyway, I have never understude that from the Eitr. A-C/DC... yess, transform the alternating current to a (mostly lower) direct current.

How does the Eitr handle this current, does it flatten it inside the Eitr? Or am I thinking in the wrong direction here.

@Lebouwsky ... I'm no EE, but I understand that the 6 VAC is fed into a built-in low-noise linear power supply in the EITR.

EDIT: From Schiit's product page ...

"

Linear, Low-Noise Power Supply—Built In
You won't need any "linear supplies" or other "add-ons" to improve Eitr—like all of our stackable products, we've built in a linear supply with multiple stages of ultra-low-noise voltage regulators. From the included 1.5A, 6VAC wall-wart to the output, there are no switching supplies in Eitr.

"

24 minutes ago, Charente said:

@Lebouwsky ... I'm no EE, but I understand that the 6 VAC is fed into a built-in low-noise linear power supply in the EITR.

EDIT: From Schiit's product page ...

"

Linear, Low-Noise Power Supply—Built In
You won't need any "linear supplies" or other "add-ons" to improve Eitr—like all of our stackable products, we've built in a linear supply with multiple stages of ultra-low-noise voltage regulators. From the included 1.5A, 6VAC wall-wart to the output, there are no switching supplies in Eitr.

"

That makes sence.

Still wonder why Schiit has token this approach. From what I’ve red so far it’s better to keep power supplies  away from the audio devices. Secondly, it makes switching the lps impossible for most users. And they do make a difference.

Yes, many of us (including your good-self) have already personally disproved the claim that EITR can't be improved upon ... As far as the power supply is concerned tho', I guess providing a specially designed external LPS as part of the product package would be (much ?) more expensive. Instead they have focused on selecting low-noise components on-board. Secondly, judging by their forum comments, they are not keen on people 'messing around' with their own power supplies connected to their gear.

10 hours ago, Cortes said:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/bluehorizon/1.html

This one works ?