There is possibly another reason ... with UNISON coming out in their DAC products ... and in the absence of an EITR-UNISON,  there is a greater 'encouragement ' for people to invest in the newer DACs rather than upgrade them via an EITR. It would drive greater sales of the more lucrative items in their product line. I'm not saying that's wrong ... it makes good business sense and funds future R&D/Engineering costs.

EDIT: IOW ...perhaps EITR cannibalised the higher ticket price items too much.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

27 minutes ago, Charente said:

There is possibly another reason ... with UNISON coming out in their DAC products ... and in the absence of an EITR-UNISON,  there is a greater 'encouragement ' for people to invest in the newer DACs rather than upgrade them via an EITR. It would drive greater sales of the more lucrative items in their product line. I'm not saying that's wrong ... it makes good business sense and funds future R&D/Engineering costs.

I don't think the technology of EITR is patented and the basic formula is simple: galvanically isolate input and output and use a separate power supply for the USB input, and S/PDIF output circuitry. If this elevates any DAC performance to UNISON performance levels, then I'm sure some co. will reverse engineer and produce it if SCHIIT stops producing EITR. We'll see..

Point taken, although I was really more getting at the fact the JS is not intending to produce an EITR-UNISON version (whatever that may turn out to be). UNISON will almost certainly be patented ... but I'm guessing.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

I had an Eitr left over, sitting on a shelf, from a previous DAC I had that worked better with S/PDIF. I replaced that DAC with a Chord Qutest and it's USB input is pretty state of the art. I was feeding it USB via a SoTM SMS200, so, no slouch there either.

As I researched selling the Eitr to see what kind of price these things bring (not much) I decided to put it between the SMS200 and the Qutest.

Imagine my great surprise when the sound quality of my system took a great leap for the better. I'm still surprised at that. So, I'm a believer in the Eitr as a very relevant audio product, even if Schitt is about to retire it from their line up. Too bad the Eitr doesn't have a optical output, too. I'd like to give that a try, as well.

Analog: Rega P8 > Ortofon Cadenza Black > Bob's Devices 20:1 SUT > EAR 834P Deluxe MM/MC tube phono stage

Digital: Shanling ET-3 CD Transport. Streaming via SoTM SMS200 Ultra Neo w/ SPS500 power supply > Chord Hugo TT2

Sound: PS Audio PowerPlant3 >  Naim Supernait3 > Harbeth P3ESR

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2019 at 4:51 PM, Abtr said:

Did he actually say it is the last production run? Can you provide a link? If so, I'll buy some more. ;)

JS posted on SBAF today that when current stock of Eitr is sold there will be no more. If you want one buy before they are gone. Now that Unison USB is in production with introduction of the Bifrost 2 Eitr is being discontinued along with Wyrd.

I have been out of the loop as well and just sold my Eitr because I just got a Qutest and didn't think about trying it with the Qutest.  I would probably buy another Eitr just to try it out, although I'd likely loose about $100 in resale value if I didn't prefer that combo over using the Qutest usb input.  

Any news on whether there will be a relatively inexpensive Eitr replacement to allow older product to benefit from Unison USB?

EDIT:  Just read the link at it looks like the answer is "no".

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

UNISON, aka Schiit's homebrew USB handler to replace C-Media, will likely NOT appear in an EITR type product ... from what's been said by JS in the past. At this stage, it seems, it is destined only within Schiit DACs, either new product (e.g Bifrost2) or as an upgrade to existing upgradeable DAC products, sometime early 2020.

High pressure sales tactic on Schiit's part.....   just kidding.

Ok I just re-purchased the Eitr.  Crazy because I just shipped my old Eitr to another buyer yesterday.  😯

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Might be worth it ... and if you're in the mood to splash a bit more cash, a couple of us have hooked up an Uptone LPS to inject clean 5v power into the EITR to avoid dirty power from the source PC or MAC. I think it makes a worthwhile difference ... YMMV

1 minute ago, Charente said:

Might be worth it ... and if you're in the mood to splash a bit more cash, a couple of us have hooked up an Uptone LPS to inject the 5v power into the EITR to avoid dirty power from the source PC or MAC. I think it makes a worthwhile difference ... YMMV

I've got an Uptone LPS-1 powering an IsoRegen in the chain, so now I need another Uptone LPS for the Eitr and now I am hearing everyone say an the Qutest also benefits from an LPS (contrary to what the Qutest designer is saying).  Ugh!

...this never ends.  Yes, I know I can always forget this stuff, but curiosity always kills this cat.

I'm not sure about the need for the ISORegen ... so, perrhps you could use the Uptone LPS for the EITR (with the right connector). Kill the 'cat' ... metaphorically speaking, of course !

Ok, then perhaps the LPS isn't necessary for the EITR as it's getting a clean power/signal from the ISORegen ... if I understand your chain correctly.

I thought JS said the power supply didn't matter for Eitr because it had  a built in LPS: "Eitr uses, as stated, a 100% linear power supply. "

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/schiit-eitr-preview-thread.4729/page-41#post-218249

Analog: Rega P8 > Ortofon Cadenza Black > Bob's Devices 20:1 SUT > EAR 834P Deluxe MM/MC tube phono stage

Digital: Shanling ET-3 CD Transport. Streaming via SoTM SMS200 Ultra Neo w/ SPS500 power supply > Chord Hugo TT2

Sound: PS Audio PowerPlant3 >  Naim Supernait3 > Harbeth P3ESR

@creativepart .. Yes, you're quite right ... the main (Schiit) power supply stays. It's the 5v through USB that is not isolated, from what's been said, and that's where the benefit is, IMO.

3 hours ago, George Hincapie said:

What is Unison USB? I've clearly missed out on some news.

Unison USB is Schiit's new proprietary USB receiver. Mike Moffat prefers Unison to S/PDIF and this is from a designer who used to hate USB. You can read more about it at this thread on SBAF where Marv talks about his impressions of the new Bifrost 2.

For the forseeable future you can only get Unison on Bifrost 2 (now), then replacement USB boards for older Bifrosts, Gungnir and Yggdrasil in January 2020. I hope Schiit moves that date up, but it is probably intentional as Unison USB is not compatible with Windows 7 and January 2020 is end of support for Windows 7 by Microsoft.

Schiit is pretty active on SBAF and Jason often drops some news there that he does not post on HF.

Here's the real reason there won't be a Unison USB Eitr: they're not selling. If it was selling like Mani, oh hey yabetcha there'd be a Unison USB Eitr right around the corner.

If you like Schiit products and news it is worth browsing SBAF.

1 hour ago, exdmd said:

Schiit is pretty active on SBAF and Jason often drops some news there that he does not post on HF.

If you like Schiit products and news it is worth browsing SBAF.

Thanks for the link.

Any news about the upcoming Schiit CD transport?

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

I just received my last EITR (probably) ... and I took notice of the serial numbers ...  of the first one I bought in 2017 (soon after it was launched) and the most recent one ... I'm really not sure if they run consecutively .. the prefix is the same tho' ... but the difference is only 2186. That really doesn't sound like an awfully high number to me for the period of time involved.

I could be wrong, but I don't see where Schiit will be releasing any CD transport in that thread.  I think the CD transport references are to purr1n's very old Theta Data III CD Transport.  Again, I could be wrong and if so, perhaps someone can correct me.

Some people use the term "transport" to mean a usb/spdif/AES converter.  There is no plan to release an Unison usb version of the Eitr, because, among other things, the Eitr did not sell well, which is crazy.  It is a terrific device and costs only $179.  Perhaps if they put it in a fancier case and charged triple it would have sold in larger numbers.