Yes, my view is that the CD-Transport is speculative, based on some comments Mike Moffat made some time ago ... possibly a wish rater than an actual product at this stage,

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

I missed that update... less speculative than I first thought !

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

2 hours ago, exdmd said:

Following threads on HF and SBAF the upcoming CD transport will output by USB to the Unison USB receiver on Schiit DACs for  low jitter and transparency and will probably also have S/PDIF out for other DACs. Since there will only be one USB in on Schiit DACs there is speculation the CD transport itself will have a USB in with bypass switch so you can still stream from your laptop but I may be wrong.

Thanks for the info.

IMO, would it make more sense to offer two USB inputs for Schiit DACs?

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

8 minutes ago, exdmd said:

I don't see that happening it would require a redesign of the entire line. It would be much easier to add USB pass through on the CD transport.

Agree,

I do not exspect that the transport will be released this year?

Matt

Schiit has been very busy this year releasing new products. All the new amps and preamps, Bifrost 2, Asgard 3, Ragnarok 2 with Sol turntable expected soon. If the CD transport is made I don't see it coming until 2020 and some months after the Unison USB cards are shipped for Bifrost, Gungnir and Yggdrasil projected in January. Maybe mid year for the CD transport we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2019 at 3:06 PM, Blake said:

High pressure sales tactic on Schiit's part.....   just kidding.

Ok I just re-purchased the Eitr.  Crazy because I just shipped my old Eitr to another buyer yesterday.  😯

Update, so I re-installed the Eitr in the chain, and switched to the Qutest's BNC input.  I do prefer the sound with the Eitr in the chain, input to the Qutest BNC, as opposed to straight in to the Qutest's usb input.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

@Blake ... yes, I use the BNC input on the Schiit Gungnir ... in my experience, its USB (pre-Gen5) is the worst input, and I find the BNC input rather better than RCA, especially from EITR. I may consider the new UNISON USB upgrade when it becomes available ... depending on cost and the shipping circumstances after Brexit, as I would have to post to the UK.

4 hours ago, Charente said:

I may consider the new UNISON USB upgrade when it becomes available ... depending on cost and the shipping circumstances after Brexit, as I would have to post to the UK.

Or to NL

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

@Holzohr  I bought the Gungnir from Schiit-UK originally so perhaps I am obliged to use them for servicing ... not sure if that's the case. I'll check nearer the time when the upgrade will be available.

7 hours ago, Charente said:

@Holzohr  I bought the Gungnir from Schiit-UK originally so perhaps I am obliged to use them for servicing ... not sure if that's the case. I'll check nearer the time when the upgrade will be available.

I see. I have my Freya from Schiit-NL. The funny thing was they sent me the Gungnir Multibit in a Freya carton, first. I was wondering when I unwrapped the device. I missed the four tube holes and the volume knob. The rc, the manual for the Freya and also the tubes were inside the package. The carton looked untouched so I guess someone mixed up the Gumby with the Freya when wrapping the package. For a moment I was thinking to keep the Gumby and to order the Freya once again. 😎

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

@Holzohr Bizzare occurence !

Back on topic ... I would be interested in hearing anyone's views of EITR versus UNISON. Only Bifrost 2 with UNISON at the moment, but I would guess there might be some Bifrost 1 owners that used EITR (or built-in Gen5) that may have switched to the 2. Early days yet, I guess.

Thank-you @matthias ... I do know of the site ... some early comparisons there , for sure ... 

If the EITR is 'warmpoo' compared to UNISON, perhaps that may be a subjective preference!! I'm not sure I want a totally clinical presentation, It has to be smooth, engaging, detailed and musically entertaining. .... I keep an open mind but remain to be convinced.

20 hours ago, Charente said:

If the EITR is 'warmpoo' compared to UNISON, perhaps that may be a subjective preference!! 

To get a better view it should be fair to post the whole passage:

Reposting a few of my impressions from the beta test thread (not putting inside a quote though, I hate those blue expander boxes):

“[comparing] Eitr vs. Gen 5 USB previously, I noticed a difference, but not that significant. A little softer and rounder, but a bit less etched than the Gen 5. Now however, Eitr compared to the new USB sounds WAY softer and bloomy, bass bloaty and warm, definitely more compact staging, greyer blackground, less dynamic and detailed. The clarity with the new USB is something else.”

“With Yggdrasil, comparing the new [Unison] USB to Eitr/SPDIF, you lose some of that warm glowing hug. Fans of smooth warmpoo and bloomy tube sound may not find the new USB favourable, at least initially, since it seems to strip away all of that artificial fuzzy warmth. It seems to relay only the pure music from the recording without being wrapped in an SPDIF Snuggie [should have called it an “Eitr Snuggie”, not SPDIF specifically]. Still, if the recording is soft and warm, you do get that. If it’s hard/thin, you get that too. In other words, it seems more transparent and there’s less coloration being applied to all your recordings than with Eitr.

I know others including @purr1n have said that Yggdrasil A2 to be somewhat bass boosted/bloated and I find this only appears on Eitr/SPDIF now - USB seems more even tonally through the bass region, but it also comes with even more low end slam/dynamics.

Going back to Eitr shrinks the stage and congeals the instruments and vocals together and makes them softer and less distinct/separate, especially in complex passages. You do lose the immediacy and sense of realness that connects you more emotionally to the music, especially on great recordings. Solo vocals, piano and other acoustic instruments are just stunning on the new USB because they are so distinct, clear and dynamic (both micro and macro dynamics). But picking out individual instruments on the stage, even with complex passages, is way easier as well and really makes you feel like you’re watching the band perform live.

I was surprised that even on poor recordings, the new USB doesn’t seem to overemphasize the nastiness like the previous Gen 5 USB does. With certain recordings and certain speakers that tend towards brightness, I found had to switch from using Gen 5 over to Eitr because the USB would scrape at my ears and cause fatigue. But some of those not-so-great recordings are simply the best music. Arcade Fire’s first couple albums for instance are not the best recordings, but man they kick ass musically. They don’t cause me fatigue on the new USB like they did with Gen 5.”

“On a sound quality / impressions note - when I had taken out the card to send it back to Schiit for the firmware update, I had initially started back using the Gen 5 card. But I quickly found that it started to cause fatigue, so I put Eitr back in the chain. Eitr made it much more enjoyable to listen to, especially for long sessions, even though it has a bit softer and more rounded presentation. Gen 5 just had this underlying harshness and etch in the mids and highs that just became grating fairly quickly, esp at high volumes.

With Unison however, I have no fatigue whatsoever.I’ve listened to it solid now for almost 2 weeks with zero desire to go back or even try Eitr/SPDIF. Eitr is now unplugged and put away in a drawer. Unison is awesome. I’m pretty pumped to see what Mike can do with his CD transport.”

Looking forward to the Schiit CD transport as well 🙂

Matt

Another interesting post from Head-Fi:

An EITR 2, with Unison, would have been stellar IMO

Would defeat the purpose. Eitr was an experiment in transformer-based isolation for DACs with better S/PDIF coax than USB receiver (like all pre-Unison Schiit DACs). With Unison, going through S/PDIF to get to the DAC would be a downgrade. IMHO, based on listening to Eitr and Unison-using chains.

Matt

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 5:30 AM, matthias said:
Another interesting post from Head-Fi:

An EITR 2, with Unison, would have been stellar IMO

Would defeat the purpose. Eitr was an experiment in transformer-based isolation for DACs with better S/PDIF coax than USB receiver (like all pre-Unison Schiit DACs). With Unison, going through S/PDIF to get to the DAC would be a downgrade. IMHO, based on listening to Eitr and Unison-using chains.

Matt

Have pulled the trigger on a used Gumby with GEN 5 USB, one would expect it's internal  connected GEN 5 to be better than my external GEN 5/EITR USB but

will see after it arrives. One would hope that the shorter signal path would equal greater clarity.

But SQ does also depend on PS implementation and cross talk noise isolation...

Wish there was more news out about Unison but  Bifrost seems to be the only product out with Unison

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm. I'm preferring the Eitr USB -AQ Eagle eye coax to the built in Gen5 USB.  The Gungnir built in USB has a softer, smoother sound but string bass tends to bloat.

Using the external Eitr to coax bass stays taut with impact but treble is a little grainier. I can deal with the graininess  but not with bass that doesn't sound right

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

@davide256 ... thank-you for experience feedback. I've never tried the on-board Gen-5 with the Gungnir MB (never got round to upgrading, shipping costs notwithstanding). I've also been satisfied with the external EITR solution and, as you said earlier, PS considerations prevail. I (and others) have spent some time getting that right ... Balanced Isolation Transformer Power Supply to the Gungnir and Mjolnir and 5v injection to the USB-B plug on the EITR to isolate the powerline from the PC/Mac source goes a long way to sound clarity. That's been very worthwhile. I'm not sure  if or when I might consider a UNISON based product ... I'm quite happy with what I have for now.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a EITR replacement ... Jason Stoddard has been clear about that (for the foreseeable future anyway). @matthias provided a great comparison of EITR vs UNISON based on his own comparison experience in an earlier thread. For those of us staying with the EITR/Gen-5 based products, they are still very good ... nil desperandum !!

As you now have a Gungnir MB, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Mjolnir 2 (with the right tubes) or if SS is your preference, I have had good experience with the Headamp Gilmore Lite MK2 paired with the GMB, although I now mostly use that hooked up to a Metrum Acoustics R2R DAC. Perhaps you are happy with the amp that you have, of course.

4 hours ago, Charente said:

@davide256 ... thank-you for experience feedback. I've never tried the on-board Gen-5 with the Gungnir MB (never got round to upgrading, shipping costs notwithstanding). I've also been satisfied with the external EITR solution and, as you said earlier, PS considerations prevail. I (and others) have spent some time getting that right ... Balanced Isolation Transformer Power Supply to the Gungnir and Mjolnir and 5v injection to the USB-B plug on the EITR to isolate the powerline from the PC/Mac source goes a long way to sound clarity. That's been very worthwhile. I'm not sure  if or when I might consider a UNISON based product ... I'm quite happy with what I have for now.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a EITR replacement ... Jason Stoddard has been clear about that (for the foreseeable future anyway). @matthias provided a great comparison of EITR vs UNISON based on his own comparison experience in an earlier thread. For those of us staying with the EITR/Gen-5 based products, they are still very good ... nil desperandum !!

As you now have a Gungnir MB, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Mjolnir 2 (with the right tubes) or if SS is your preference, I have had good experience with the Headamp Gilmore Lite MK2 paired with the GMB, although I now mostly use that hooked up to a Metrum Acoustics R2R DAC. Perhaps you are happy with the amp that you have, of course.

The Hafler bested  the amp section of  a Prima Luna premium I had before so it looks like my next amp upgrade will be in the $4-$6k range... Magtech, Primare

and Hegel are on my audition list. I pinged Schiit to ask about a future external Unison, will relay back any response I get.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system