The EITR is a new product from SCHIIT, a USB to S/PDIF converter. Schiit, never a company to ignore, make some very bold claims ... quote:- "And so, as of now, you can throw away your perfecters and hyperstreamliners and cleaners and recombobulators, and, yes, even that gold-plated yak hair USB cable. Because, as of today, USB is, well, solved.". 

I would be interested in simplifying the front-end of my system and replacing it with a single, do-it-all box ... and all for $179.

Does anyone yet have any impressions of using the EITR and comparison to, say, a Singxer F-1 converter ?

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

I have had an Eitr for a few days and it is great. I ran my microrendu into it and compared that to my ultrarendu and I have to say the differences were negligible. The only problem I have encountered is that while the Eitr works great with a micro/ultra-rendu feeding it, direct connection using "exclusive mode" in Roon is not currently working. It would be an amazing product at many multiples of its $179 price. I want to see what happens when I power it with an LPS-1.  

1 hour ago, cfisher said:

I have had an Eitr for a few days and it is great. I ran my microrendu into it and compared that to my ultrarendu and I have to say the differences were negligible. The only problem I have encountered is that while the Eitr works great with a micro/ultra-rendu feeding it, direct connection using "exclusive mode" in Roon is not currently working. It would be an amazing product at many multiples of its $179 price. I want to see what happens when I power it with an LPS-1.  

You can't power the Eitr with an LPS-1. It takes 6VAC.

Yes, I was thinking that. Currently, I have a Armature Hercate DDC (european version of the Singxer F-1) feeding off a microRendu, which is powered by the LPS-1, so the DDC should be getting 'clean-ish' power from that. What I'd really like to know is whether the EITR would be an improvement in that chain ... replacing my current DDC ? Alternatively, in the interest of reducing 'box clutter', I could go MacMini (with Audirvana+3) > EITR straight to the DAC. However, would the SQ not be as good as via the microRendu ? 

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

13 minutes ago, Charente said:

Yes, I was thinking that. Currently, I have a Armature Hercate DDC (european version of the Singxer F-1) feeding off a microRendu, which is powered by the LPS-1, so the DDC should be getting 'clean-ish' power from that. What I'd really like to know is whether the EITR would be an improvement in that chain ... replacing my current DDC ? Alternatively, in the interest of reducing 'box clutter', I could go MacMini (with Audirvana+3) > EITR straight to the DAC. However, would the SQ not be as good as via the microRendu ? 

I think the direct connection sounds basically just as good as being fed by the micro/ultra-rendu in my headphone system. That seemed to be the consensus at SBAF as well. 

That's interesting to know ... although surprising, to me anyway. There must be some good isolation in the EITR to achieve that, I guess.

Thank-you for the link ... i'll read and inwardly digest ! Who is @Torq ? 

Oh, OK. I did think about an Yggy, but settled on a GMB/MJ2 pair just for headphones. USB was fine until I tried the F-1 S/PDIF converter, which improved things significantly. So, I've stayed with that since ... now the EITR is announced. Things are moving very fast in this hobby last few months ! Thanks for your help and input.

Just a further thought ... does anyone have any experience of using the Uptone ISO Regen together with the EITR ?

EDIT: I mean in front of the EITR ?

According to the SBAF Eitr thread (above, which I've just read thru), there is no discernible difference by putting anything else in a PC/Mac > EITR path. So, my last question may be answered.

Yes, I have thought about that. It's the insured shipping cost from France>UK to get that done is a consideration for me ... could easily be another €100 couriered. That, coupled with the fact that I heard such an improvement (to my ears) thru GMB's S/PDIF input (over its USB) is keeping me on that path. I've not really heard a consensus that Gen 5 USB is better now than S/PDIF ... Perhaps there is no difference.... I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, Charente said:

Yes, I have thought about that. It's the insured shipping cost from France>UK to get that done is a consideration for me ... could easily be another €100 couriered. That, coupled with the fact that I heard such an improvement (to my ears) thru GMB's S/PDIF input (over its USB) is keeping me on that path. I've not really heard a consensus that Gen 5 USB is better now than S/PDIF ... Perhaps there is no difference.... I'm not sure.

If you more on SBAF, you will see that it is said that using Eitr to the S/PDIF input of Gumby is the same as going USB to Gumby with Gen 5 USB. The Gen 5 USB card for the DAC is the same implementation is Eitr. It just out the middle man and gets rid of another box and cable.

I admit that I have only done a cursory reading of the SBAF thread, but are they saying that placing an Eitr before a DAC makes everything that comes before it sound equally good, and therefore indifferent as to its quality or price?

Are they really saying, for example, that all 4 of the following hypothetical chains will sound equally good, regardless of the cable interconnects that are used?

1. Mac mini ==> Eitr ==> Yggy ==> Amplification

2. Microrendu ==> Eitr ==> Yggy ==> Amplification

3. Ultrarendu ==> Eitr ==>Yggy ==> Amplification

4. Squeezebox Touch ==>> Yggy ==> Amplification

I am not sure whether this is what the reviews there are claiming, but if it is, and the claim is accurate, it would make the Eitr not only the ultimate decrapifier, but also a  great equalizer...

The next question this is raising for me is whether chains ##2 and #33 will sound better or worse with the Eitr withdrawn from the chain?

I am just trying to understand what I am reading, but it sounds to me as if some very bold and far-reaching claims are being made there about the Eitr. Any clarifications/corrections would be welcome.

2 hours ago, sahmen said:

I admit that I have only done a cursory reading of the SBAF thread, but are they saying that placing an Eitr before a DAC makes everything that comes before it sound equally good, and therefore indifferent as to its quality or price?

Yeah, that's the claim. I'm inclined to think there is some truth to this. My computer and stereo are in different rooms so I could only experiment via my headphone system. I tried the following variations:

Dell XPS-POS>Eitr>GUMBY>Jotunheim>Focal Elear/Campfire Andromeda

Dell XPS-POS>ultrarendu>GUMBY>Jotunheim>Focal Elear/Campfire Andromeda

Dell XPS-POS>microrendu>Eitr>GUMBY>Jotunheim>Focal Elear/Campfire Andromeda

All three sounded very good and significantly better than the microrendu straight into the GUMBY. I am not saying there weren't any differences between the three chains, but it would probably take better ears, language, and patience to suss them out.

1 hour ago, cfisher said:

Yeah, that's the claim. I'm inclined to think there is some truth to this. My computer and stereo are in different rooms so I could only experiment via my headphone system. I tried the following variations:

Dell XPS-POS>Eitr>GUMBY>Jotunheim>Focal Elear/Campfire Andromeda

Dell XPS-POS>ultrarendu>GUMBY>Jotunheim>Focal Elear/Campfire Andromeda

Dell XPS-POS>microrendu>Eitr>GUMBY>Jotunheim>Focal Elear/Campfire Andromeda

All three sounded very good and significantly better than the microrendu straight into the GUMBY. I am not saying there weren't any differences between the three chains, but it would probably take better ears, language, and patience to suss them out.

Nice:  This is helpful, and I realize it does take some effort, so I do not want to sound ungrateful. Still, here is a question I cannot resist :  If chain #1 sounds as good as 2 and 3, and even better than 3 (with the Eitr removed), then that seems to be suggesting that the Eitr renders both the Ultrarendu and the microrendu effectively redundant in these particular set ups (in the sense that you can do without them and get the same sq, as long as the Eitr is in the chain)... Is that an accurate summary of your position?

Also, I notice that the Eitr is missing from Chain #2. On that note, if you have tried combining the Ultrarendu with the Eitr in order to find out how that combination will impact sound quality, or if you ever get around to trying that combo, could you kindly report back and give us your impressions?

With all that said, I do appreciate your caveat that these results come exclusively from experimenting with headphones/iems. I wouldn't be completely surprised if experimentation with loudspeakers produces more discernible differences in SQ in similar comparative testing.  Thanks.

Going straight into either my gumby or my yggy there is an obvious difference between the ultrarendu and the microrendu. All that I want to commit to without trying this out in my main system is that the difference between the ultrarendu and microrendu closes considerably when both feed the eitr. So basically I am sympathetic to Torq's claim that the eitr is indifferent to what feeds it. You could say that the eitr's insensitivity to what is upchannel is a flaw except for the fact that it sounds very good.

I left the eitr out of the second chain so that I could compare ultrarendu via usb to microrendu>eitr via S/PDIF.

I need to put ultrarendu>eitr into my main system to figure out how much the combination adds. My sense is that the ultra makes a much smaller contribution with the eitr than without.

Thanks. No pressure, but please keep us updated with any further findings. I'm adding an ultrarendu to my main system so that I can move the microrendu to a second one. I'm also expecting an Eitr in the mail, so I should be able to participate in these experimentations soon.

Just 'woken up' this side of the pond and amazed at the responses and suggestions. Thank-you to everyone for their input ... very interesting indeed. 

Two key take-aways for me ... so far:-

1. The Gen 5 USB input is exactly the same on EITR and on the upgrade card for the Shiit DACs. So, in principle, there should be no SQ differences any more on my GMB between USB & S/PDIF that I had previously experienced. I will consider that route but am loath to ship the GMB at more cost if I can get the same result from an EITR, extra cabling notwithstanding.

2. Both Schiit's claims and general consensus is that the EITR is ambivalent about what feeds its USB signal, due to its high degree of isolation. The result in SQ is broadly similar, if not the same. That's a bit of a bombshell with regards to all the micro/ultraRendu, Singxer, Uptone, etc. fixes that I, and many others, have been using to date. It seems that any differences that there might be are small and difficult to discern. I'm not sure that my ageing ears are up to that kind of difference. Equally importantly is that it's all in one box and one power supply at a reasonable price.

EDIT: I would be interested in hearing about any further combination tests.

As an aside, and to be fair, the 'rendu' family still have a key role if you are interested a solution that does not rely on a computer being switched on or if you are a Roon user. There is a convenience factor for me if I switch the computer off and want to control my music from my armchair using just a phone or tablet. It's good to know that the EITR is not 'fussy' about what's feeding it to still be able to achieve that.

7 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I hear people diss S/PDIF all the time - not that such internet comments are valid, but is S/PDIF problematic?

Not wishing to start a USB vs S/PDIF 'war', I understand that on some DACs, S/PDIF is preferable to USB, despite the fact that it is an old (mature ?) technology. Certainly this is true in my case (to my ears) with the GMB. I get the impression that both technologies are 'problematic' to varying degrees and perhaps S/PDIF's maturity is to it's benefit. Perhaps now Schiit has reduced, or even eliminated, USB's problems with Gen5. It's rather good that one can use either route depending on personal preferences with little or no SQ differences with Gen5 Direct USB or EITR.