3 minutes ago, Abtr said:

Thanks ... and from the NL ... even better !  At that price it's worth a shot.

I note from your system desc, you power this with an LPS-1 as well. I think that's probably key. I may initially try it with a Audiophonics LPS25 which I already have, to see if it makes sense for me.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

10 hours ago, Charente said:

Thanks ... and from the NL ... even better !  At that price it's worth a shot.

I note from your system desc, you power this with an LPS-1 as well. I think that's probably key. I may initially try it with a Audiophonics LPS25 which I already have, to see if it makes sense for me.

I'm looking forward to your experience. By the way, the Delock has a 3.5mm x 1.35mm barrel connector for DC input, so you may need something like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32902981396.html, to connect a LPS.

@Abtr ... thank-you. Appreciate your attention to detail. As I mentioned, I will initially use the Audiophonics LPS25, which has USB-A ports and see where I go afterwards. I accept that the LPS25 won't be a patch on the LPS-1. Also need an optical cable ... haven't used Toslink in ages !

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

9 hours ago, Charente said:

@Abtr ... thank-you. Appreciate your attention to detail. As I mentioned, I will initially use the Audiophonics LPS25, which has USB-A ports and see where I go afterwards. I accept that the LPS25 won't be a patch on the LPS-1. Also need an optical cable ... haven't used Toslink in ages !

I currently use two 5V Zerozone LPSs for Eitr and the Delock (my LPS-1 died). Sounds great! :) I'm very interested in your results with the LPSU25. It looks like a nice 5V LPS. IME, the (linear) power supply quality of Eitr USB and the Delock makes a major difference in sound quality. I tried various SMPSs but even with additional ultra low noise voltage regulators and RF chokes, they sounded significantly less smooth/refined than a proper LPS (or LPS-1).. 

@Abtr ... The Delock is on its way to me. A fast turnaround. Those ZeroZone LPs's looked good in a review I recently read, although the 12v model. I'll post my thoughts when I get round to trying the Delock from the EITR and into my GMB Toslink. I also have a Metrum Acoustics Flint DAC, which has a Toslink input, so I'll give that a go as well. Time is my enemy at present ... nowhere near enough hours in a day !!

20 hours ago, Charente said:

@Abtr ... The Delock is on its way to me. A fast turnaround. Those ZeroZone LPs's looked good in a review I recently read, although the 12v model. I'll post my thoughts when I get round to trying the Delock from the EITR and into my GMB Toslink. I also have a Metrum Acoustics Flint DAC, which has a Toslink input, so I'll give that a go as well. Time is my enemy at present ... nowhere near enough hours in a day !!

The Zerozone units are (probably) overkill (45VA toroidals with LT1083 voltage regulator) but very reasonably priced ($68 on ebay). I use the 9V model. The output voltage can be lowered to 5V with a trim-pot. Your LPSU25 looks more refined though. :)

Sorry if this has been addressed upthread, didn't see anything.

I have access to mains power only rarely, and am disappointed to learn that Eitr requires AC power input.

I really would rather not introduce an inverter into my setup as everything else runs off battery packs, with some DC-DC conversion.

Any suggestions?

@john61ct ... before EITR, I used an Armature Hecate, the European version of the Singxer F1. Probably second best to an EITR and if I found myself without mains power, it's what I would use.

Details here https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/digital-interfaces/armature-hecate-xmos-xcore-208-usb-spdif-asynchronous-interface-p-11412.html?search_query=arma&fast_search=fs

It runs on 5V via USB, although it could be greatly improved by injecting the 5v via a battery pack, thereby isolating from the noisy USB v-bus power, even though the Hecate (F1) has isolation circuitry.

You would need an adapter to achieve this ... https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/various-adapters/usb-b-adapter-cable-for-55-21mm-female-power-supply-p-8332.html

EDIT: or this version with a USB-A connector ... https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/various-adapters/usb-b-adapter-cable-for-external-usb-a-power-supply-p-8389.html

@john61ct ... that could be tricky. IIRC the EITR mains adapter is simply a stepped down A/C supply and then converted/regulated inside the EITR circuitry.

15 hours ago, john61ct said:

OK thanks. But I got the Eitr at a great price NOS, would like to keep looking for a solution for that if at all posible.

Well, it should be possible to bypass Eitr's internal power supply which delivers 5V DC. Connecting a 5V battery to ground and the 5V output pin of the regulator chip might work..

@Abtr ... I guess one could re-purpose the mains-in socket, connected internally, as you suggest ??

4 hours ago, Charente said:

@Abtr ... I guess one could re-purpose the mains-in socket, connected internally, as you suggest ??

Yes, one could disconnects the 6V AC socket and reconnect it to the 5V DC output of the power supply. However, I checked and it appears there are two DC voltage rails of 5V and 3V, so one would have to connect a 5V, and a 3V battery to the corresponding outputs. Maybe @john61ct can send Schiit an email and ask if/how this can be done..

I doubt they would support that.

But yes if the proper connection points internally could be identified, to the 5V and "3V" (I'm guessing 3.3V) rails

should be pretty straightforward, those are super common output voltages for DCDC buck converters, could feed them 12V input.

Of course then electrical noise issues may arise. Putting in small LI batteries, and recharging them while the unit is not in use is a more complex option.

I'm hoping someone can verify that just feeding 8.5Vdc (6V * 1.414) pos/neg to Neutral and Hot AC inputs will work that the (bridge?) rectifier will just pass it through.

2 hours ago, john61ct said:

I'm hoping someone can verify that just feeding 8.5Vdc (6V * 1.414) pos/neg to Neutral and Hot AC inputs will work that the (bridge?) rectifier will just pass it through.

Yeah, that could work. I'd say you give it a try. From a SQ point of view, I guess I'm personally more interested in bypassing the entire Eitr power supply and replacing it with a decent LPS and LT3045 based regulation. Perhaps I'll send Schiit an email about this myself. :)  

The D10 is a DAC rather than a DDC ??

@Abtr ... Ah, OK ! Quite versatile ... wonder how it sounds ?

21 hours ago, Charente said:

@Abtr ... Ah, OK ! Quite versatile ... wonder how it sounds ?

With USB 5V injection It might be a good replacement of Eitr + the Delock coax to optical converter. I tried several DDCs but they didn't quite match the Eitr-Delock combo. Since, according to ASR forum, the Topping D10 has a low jitter and low distortion DAC output, it may also have a good low jitter Toslink output (24/192). Its succesor, the Topping D10S, measures even better..

The DELOCK has arrived .. very fast delivery !! Probably won't be till the weekend before I try it.

So I tried the Topping D10S as a DDC, with clean USB 5V injection. I'll have to listen to the Topping longer and then switch back to the Eitr-Delock combo, but my initial conclusion is that the Topping sounds better, and (again) Toslink out sounds significantly better than coax out (system: MacMini streaming from Tidal >> Topping D10S >> RME ADI-2 DAC/Pre). I think with the D10S my quest for good USB sound quality might be over. :)

8 hours ago, Abtr said:

So I tried the Topping D10S as a DDC, with clean USB 5V injection ... but my initial conclusion is that the Topping sounds better

That's quite an initial conclusion !! Look forward to your further audition conclusions. I'm not sure how my Gungnir MB will fare through its Toslink input, even with a good source. It was never Mike M's favourite input.