IGNORED

SOTM tX-USBultra impressions

My tx-USBultra arrived today and is now in my system beginning its run-in.  

With my Paul Hynes SR4 still to arrive my concern had been to make sure the tx-USBultra came with an smps.  I had given no thought to whether a usb cable was included, but I see that one is.  With its own ferrite (I assume that’s what it is) the cable looks a cut above the usual stock cable and I am wondering just how good it is.  The cable is in a sealed bag that I don’t want to tear open in order to try until I have decided to keep the tx-USBultra (I have 30 days).  Are there any views on whether this cable is good enough to get the most out of my Innuos Zenith SE connecting that to the tx-USBultra, with a better cable then connecting the tx-USBultra to my Chord Blu 2/DAVE?  Thanks for any thoughts.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

2 hours ago, str-1 said:

My tx-USBultra arrived today and is now in my system beginning its run-in.  

With my Paul Hynes SR4 still to arrive my concern had been to make sure the tx-USBultra came with an smps.  I had given no thought to whether a usb cable was included, but I see that one is.  With its own ferrite (I assume that’s what it is) the cable looks a cut above the usual stock cable and I am wondering just how good it is.  The cable is in a sealed bag that I don’t want to tear open in order to try until I have decided to keep the tx-USBultra (I have 30 days).  Are there any views on whether this cable is good enough to get the most out of my Innuos Zenith SE connecting that to the tx-USBultra, with a better cable then connecting the tx-USBultra to my Chord Blu 2/DAVE?  Thanks for any thoughts.

I tried this cable, it’s not bad but the USPCB and Lush form example are in a different league.

5 hours ago, mozes said:

I tried this cable, it’s not bad but the USPCB and Lush form example are in a different league.

I have 2 uspcb somewhere....so fuzzy sounding.My friend also changed to ppa usb(short). We are not so lucky with uspcb's

21 minutes ago, Luvdac said:

Hello all, posted this on the aries mini thread but no takers so far. My question is, would an aries mini benefit with the the tx usb ultra? Anyone here tried it? Would love some input.

I used to own an Aries Mini, and still remember it fondly. A great piece of kit. While I sold it before getting the SOtM trifecta, I can think of no reason why it would not benefit from the tX-USBultra downstream of it. 

Hopefully someone who has actually tried it will chime in.

On 3/8/2018 at 5:13 PM, Luvdac said:

Hello all, posted this on the aries mini thread but no takers so far. My question is, would an aries mini benefit with the the tx usb ultra? Anyone here tried it? Would love some input.

I have Aries Femto with USB Hub X and Iso Regen powered by LPS1s; very worthwhile investment.  May pay to hold off though as apparently new Aries coming in May (not G2).

Martin

On 1/19/2018 at 10:17 AM, mozes said:

Yes this is what I have found in my system when placing the Iso Regen after the tX. Then I also found the Iso Regen is the weak link between my sCLK modded server and the tX , so place your best clocking device just before your DAC.

And then your DAC tosses the external clock and substitutes its own internal clock.  So why should any “better” external clock make a difference (no matter where it is in the chain)?

Russ

2 hours ago, RussL said:

And then your DAC tosses the external clock and substitutes its own internal clock.  So why should any “better” external clock make a difference (no matter where it is in the chain)?

Russ

I don’t have the techincal answer but it absolutely matters! Try to listen to a system with a master clock and then unplug it.

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the interruption, I am selling my pristine SOtM sMS-200ultra, tX-USBultra and sPS-500 trio bought in August/September 2017.

Contact me privately if you are interested. 

NUC10i7 Roon ROCK > EtherREGEN > Lumin U1 Mini > Chord DAVE > Focal Utopia 

2 hours ago, mozes said:

Best approach is to create a listing.

You're absolutely right mozes, but on this forum I have never sold anything and have no seller feedback.

On another well known forum I have an excellent reputation so it's easier to sell object worth several K$.

Sorry again for this.

NUC10i7 Roon ROCK > EtherREGEN > Lumin U1 Mini > Chord DAVE > Focal Utopia 

2 minutes ago, doraymon said:

You're absolutely right mozes, but on this forum I have never sold anything and have no seller feedback.

On another well known forum I have an excellent reputation so it's easier to sell object worth several K$.

Sorry again for this.

No worries, I understand ;) Good luck with the sale

• 2 months later...

I dont believe in the 12volt txbultra or sms 200 ultra issue, for the only reason that SOtM demonstrated in Munich with 9 volts..they didn’t do that is the SQ was worse; They also advise 9 volts for the current power. The only reason to set up the 12v possibility is A. you wanted your sms /tx ultra burn in faster. Or B. Youve got already a 12v power supply. Then there is no need to buy an other one.

For sonic reason or reliability just stik to 9 volts..

14 hours ago, Tommd64 said:

I dont believe in the 12volt txbultra or sms 200 ultra issue, for the only reason that SOtM demonstrated in Munich with 9 volts..they didn’t do that is the SQ was worse; They also advise 9 volts for the current power. The only reason to set up the 12v possibility is A. you wanted your sms /tx ultra burn in faster. Or B. Youve got already a 12v power supply. Then there is no need to buy an other one.

For sonic reason or reliability just stik to 9 volts..

I have a 12V tX-USBultra.  I asked May about this issue a while ago and she said that the 12v units will run without issue at 9v.  I tried this with both my tX-USBUltra and sMS-200Ultra (both 12v).  They will happily run at 9v, they do run cooler and I cannot say that I detected any significant differences with sound quality or performance. 

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Thanks For sharing the same opinion in this topic Confused; at the SOtM stand in Munich i was told that if SOtM sounded better in 12volt they didn,t think twice to change their powerserup to 12v. But the electronics is getting warmer en some say there for it sounded better. Nonsense of course, only the burn in time is shorter.. You did a smart thing there! Enjoy the music! Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Placing an order for the recently announced Chord Mscaler and my success in taking over a cancelled order for a Paul Hynes SR7 power supply has made me reevaluate my music system with a view to considering further improvements.  Part of this exercise has been to play some CDs (not something I do that often) to remind myself what I would be missing by trading in my Chord Blu2 for an Mscaler, and rediscovering the fact that music played from my Innuos Zenith SE via usb and standard tX-USBultra is still some way short of the sound quality I get from playing CDs.  CDs on the Blu2 are just more dynamic, punchy and focused - more real.

Some of the shortcomings compared to CD will be down to the limitations of the generally excellent Zenith SE (which makes me wonder about the forthcoming Zenith Statement).  But I believe there is still more to be got from what the Zenith SE is sending along the usb cables.  Which brings me to the tX-USBultra.

My current tX-U is the standard unit without clock input (no internal wiring/eABS-200 paper upgrades), albeit one that is powered by a Paul Hynes SR4.  The obvious upgrade options here are reference clock input, upgraded internal wires and eABS paper.  The recent comparison of the Mutec REF 10 and SOtM OCX-10 (standard unit and one with upgraded caps) reference clocks undertaken by @limniscate, @auricgoldfingerand @austinpopand their subsequent comments on the "A novel way to..." thread (pages 372-374) have convinced me there are significant benefits to be gained from using a reference clock, even if this is only with a tX-U.  What I am less clear about is the value of upgrading the tX-U's internal wiring (the eABS upgrade at just under £20 seems a no-brainer).  I don't suppose many will have heard both wiring upgrades (UPOCC copper and UPOCC silver).  But if anyone has some comments to offer on what they found in upgrading from standard wiring to one or other of these, I would be most grateful.  I'm wondering if the differences between the two are mostly tonal or whether there is more to it than that.  Thanks.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

5 minutes ago, str-1 said:

there are significant benefits to be gained from using a reference clock, even if this is only with a tX-U

That got my attention too.  We have yet to hear what the Innuos USB card can do on an SE.  It isn't expected until around year end.  It's hard to believe it would beat a tX-USBultra/REF10.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's