IGNORED

SOTM tX-USBultra impressions

• 4 months later...

I'm thinking to perform the Audio Sensibility upgrades upgrade for my SOTM TXUSB. I wonder if someone can share his observations about the possible improvements?

"high fidelity” -> being faithful, accuracy in details; “the degree to which an electronic device accurately reproduces sound

• 4 months later...

Has anyone experienced a failure of/damge to their tX-USBultra before?

I bought a 9V Special Edition that was modified by Crux Audio here in the US (aka "SOtM USA") from a user here on AS about a year ago, and have enjoyed it very much powered with a Paul Hynes SR4T. This past week I bought a new DAC on the used market (Schiit Yggdrasil A2 with Unison USB), and it worked fine for a few days. I had to do some switching around yesterday and unplugged the SR4T briefly - when I plugged the SR4T back in and turned it on, the tX-USBultra responded by lighting its power LED only momentarily before powering down while simultaneously emitting a slight burning smell, as if it had been overloaded/overpowered. I immediately unplugged the DC cable (a Ghent Audio JSSG360 Neotech OCC), but the tX-USBultra appears to now be dead. I have attempted to power it on via its stock wall wart PSU and another audio LPS to no avail. 

I am unable to see any obvious damage through the top of the unit through its venting holes. I have verified with a multimeter that the Paul Hynes SR4T PSU is outputting appropriate voltage in all four of its voltage settings (I have the version that allows switching between 5, 7, 9, and 12V output), and have also since used the SR4T to power my JCAT FEMTO USB card without issue, as well as tested it with my modified Buffalo BS-GS2048, also without problem, so I am skeptical that the Paul Hynes SR4T is at fault, to speak nothing of multiple users using the same PSU with the tX-USBultra for some time now (see: Audio Bacon, as well as users on here, etc.). Lastly, while my tX-USBultra SE is rated as a 9V version, multiple users have tried voltages ranging from 7 to 12V without issue, with 12V being the maximum amount of voltage the SR4T can provide even if it had somehow malfunctioned, barring a momentary catastrophic failure/voltage spike, of course.

Anyway, I know this is a long shot, but posting to see if anyone has experience with this/similar with SOtM products or has suggestions. Would also appreciate if anyone can chime in about any experiences with SOtM/Crux Audio and repairs, as I am unsure I would want to spend very much to repair the unit (I bought it at $750 USD vs. the normal price of nearly $1300 USD). I do find that the JCAT FEMTO card alone, as opposed to in conjunction with the tX-USBultra SE, is sonically inferior, even when powered with the SR4T (it previously had an inferior LPS feeding it) in conjunction with a LDOVR/DXPWR LT3045 dual regulator unit, so I am disappointed.

Thank you!

My personal experience in dealing with SOtM on the rare repair issues has been outstanding. Now granted, as an influencer and reviewer, it's possible I've gotten atypically good service, but I currently have a friend who is working through an issue with his tX-USBultra, and his experience with Kamal at Crux Audio has been excellent so far.

My friend - on my advice - bought a used tX-USBultra SE and as luck would have it, the unit was defective. While the sCLK-EX board LEDs would light correctly with and without his REF-10 clock, the source and DAC would not achieve USB lock.

The seller was adamant in refusing to take it back, so I referred my friend to Kamal, who has been great to deal with. He had my friend send in the unit, diagnosed and repaired it within a week, and is shipping it back as we speak. And the cost was more than fair.

I definitely suggest you contact Kamal at Crux, and see what they can do to solve your issue.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

My personal experience in dealing with SOtM on the rare repair issues has been outstanding. Now granted, as an influencer and reviewer, it's possible I've gotten atypically good service, but I currently have a friend who is working through an issue with his tX-USBultra, and his experience with Kamal at Crux Audio has been excellent so far.

My friend - on my advice - bought a used tX-USBultra SE and as luck would have it, the unit was defective. While the sCLK-EX board LEDs would light correctly with and without his REF-10 clock, the source and DAC would not achieve USB lock.

The seller was adamant in refusing to take it back, so I referred my friend to Kamal, who has been great to deal with. He had my friend send in the unit, diagnosed and repaired it within a week, and is shipping it back as we speak. And the cost was more than fair.

I definitely suggest you contact Kamal at Crux, and see what they can do to solve your issue.

Good luck!

Thanks so much, @austinpop! Exactly the kind of information I was hoping to find, and very useful, as your posts tend to be!

@internethandle - I cannot comment on Crux Audio, I have simply never used them, but I can back up @austinpop's comments regarding the good service from SOtM.  In my case I am most definitely not an influencer (maybe the opposite!), but the service I have received from SOtM has been excellent.  In my case that was not a repair, but I was sending my sMS-200ultra back to Korea for the Neo upgrade.  At the time of doing this, I was interesting in getting the internal clock cable on my tX-USBultra changed to a shorter cable.  SOtM were happy to do this, and indeed ultimately did this small mod at zero charge.  The most difficult part of the return procedure was making sure that I got SOtM's address right on the courier label.  (it is quite a tricky address to fill in)  Other than that, I received excellent communications from SOtM and a trouble free return of the items.

I can also state that I have had both the tX-USBultra and sMS-200ultra running trouble free in my system for nearly three years now, and for the last two years they have been powered by a pair of Paul Hynes SR4's.  Of course, there may be reliability issues with a proportion of items, I have no idea, but my experience has been good.

I hope that Crux will can your issues out, but if for any reason you do need to resort to return to SOtM, I am confident that you should receive good service.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

On 3/29/2021 at 2:27 AM, Confused said:

@internethandle - I cannot comment on Crux Audio, I have simply never used them, but I can back up @austinpop's comments regarding the good service from SOtM.  In my case I am most definitely not an influencer (maybe the opposite!), but the service I have received from SOtM has been excellent.  In my case that was not a repair, but I was sending my sMS-200ultra back to Korea for the Neo upgrade.  At the time of doing this, I was interesting in getting the internal clock cable on my tX-USBultra changed to a shorter cable.  SOtM were happy to do this, and indeed ultimately did this small mod at zero charge.  The most difficult part of the return procedure was making sure that I got SOtM's address right on the courier label.  (it is quite a tricky address to fill in)  Other than that, I received excellent communications from SOtM and a trouble free return of the items.

I can also state that I have had both the tX-USBultra and sMS-200ultra running trouble free in my system for nearly three years now, and for the last two years they have been powered by a pair of Paul Hynes SR4's.  Of course, there may be reliability issues with a proportion of items, I have no idea, but my experience has been good.

I hope that Crux will can your issues out, but if for any reason you do need to resort to return to SOtM, I am confident that you should receive good service.

Thanks for the anecdote @Confused, still helpful despite being of an experience with the SOtM “mothership” overseas and not via Crux.

I have successfully made contact with Kamal at Crux and should be shipping my unit to him tomorrow. I will let the thread know how things pan out.

Thanks again for the responses!

• 2 weeks later...

There are several reports of users (including myself) with both the ISO-Regen and the tX listed in the index of the novel thread in the first post. See https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/ and scroll down a bit.

If the question is specifically targeted to tX with a master clock, I'm trying to recall if I've written about it. I know I sold my iR before I got the REF 10, but I'm pretty sure I've had the iR back in my system from time to time for experiments.

All these products are not in my chain any more, but I can certainly try to answer some questions. What specifically did you guys want to know?

39 minutes ago, austinpop said:

There are several reports of users (including myself) with both the ISO-Regen and the tX listed in the index of the novel thread in the first post. See https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/ and scroll down a bit.

If the question is specifically targeted to tX with a master clock, I'm trying to recall if I've written about it. I know I sold my iR before I got the REF 10, but I'm pretty sure I've had the iR back in my system from time to time for experiments.

All these products are not in my chain any more, but I can certainly try to answer some questions. What specifically did you guys want to know?

Thanks for your offer - I have the SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo and the SOtM sCLK-OCX10 both powered by a single SOtM- sPS500.  I also have the etherREGEN.  I was wondering if the SOtM tx-USBultra would add any further benefit to the arrangement.  

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

I would consider better power supplies for those units before adding any USB signal “regenerators.” Search around for reports. B|

I will do this. I intend to order a Paul Hynes SR5 dual rail. This will power both the clock and the sms-200. So I could then also introduce a TX but I am not sure whether it is necessary to use a usb regenerator as well as the clock.  Would you think so?

47 minutes ago, Duckworp said:

I will do this. I intend to order a Paul Hynes SR5 dual rail. This will power both the clock and the sms-200. So I could then also introduce a TX but I am not sure whether it is necessary to use a usb regenerator as well as the clock.  Would you think so?

Necessary? No. But will it sound better? Yes. Is the cost worth it? You’ll have to decide!

You’ll also need another good quality PSU for the tX. Get the SE version with master clock input, and feed it from the OCX10. Pay attention to which impedance ports you have available on the OCX10 after the sMS200ultra and the eR. Order the tX impedance accordingly. 

6 hours ago, austinpop said:

Pay attention to which impedance ports you have available on the OCX10 after the sMS200ultra and the eR. Order the tX impedance accordingly. 

The SOtM clock is sine wave output. And as John Swenson recently explained, impedance  matching when using sine wave clocks is not necessary. Use of highly shielded, even semi-rigid cable for clock connection is the most important thing. Though even that can be dispensed with if using the inexpensive 11MHz lowpass inline filter we recommend at the target device’s BNC clock input. 

See:

6 hours ago, Superdad said:

The SOtM clock is sine wave output. And as John Swenson recently explained, impedance  matching when using sine wave clocks is not necessary. Use of highly shielded, even semi-rigid cable for clock connection is the most important thing. Though even that can be dispensed with if using the inexpensive 11MHz lowpass inline filter we recommend at the target device’s BNC clock input. 

See:

thanks @austinpopand @Superdad.
do you think this filter will improve performance between SOtM clock and SOtM sms-200 (bridge/roon endpoint)?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 2:52 PM, Superdad said:

Yes. :D

I tried it and the SOtM sms-200 Ultra neo would not work with the filter plugged in between the SOtM clock and the sms-200.  Weirdly, I powered down and removed the filter and switched back on and the sms-200 still did not work.  I was worried for a short while, but after another power-down it worked again.  Strange. I wonder what the filter did to the sms-200?

• 3 months later...

I recently acquired the SOtM tx-USBultra Extreme. It made a significant improvement on one of my music servers (Wyred 4 Sound MS Music Server with the i7 package), but not significantly with my AURALiC Aries G2.1. In case of the music server, music flows much better, transients are clearer, more transparent, better bass, better detail. But, not leaving things as they were, I added a Denafrips Gaia after the SOtM and before my DAC (PS Audio Direct Stream DAC). The combination is superb. I use Curious Cables to connect the Music Server and SOtM, and between the SOtM and Gaia. From the Gaia I am using at present the AES/EBU output into the DAC. When I compared each independently, the SOtM and Gaia, in the system, I got better performance. But the two together are much, much better. In fact, the Gaia does make a difference improving the AURALIC slightly, whereas with the SOtM I did not notice any improvement at all. Next item, an Ediscreation OCXO Silent Switch to put between the music router and the Music Server and AURALIC. The switch will be delivered tomorrow. Will report on the results.

Received the Ediscreation Silent Switch Extreme. Streaming now has improved hugely. Together with the SOtM and Gaia, the streamer servers are sounding incredibly detailed and clear using Roon, Qobuz and Tidal. The switch has made a huge difference. Construction of the switch is great and looks perfect in my system. Highly recommended.

7 hours ago, JMAM said:

Received the Ediscreation Silent Switch Extreme. Streaming now has improved hugely. Together with the SOtM and Gaia, the streamer servers are sounding incredibly detailed and clear using Roon, Qobuz and Tidal. The switch has made a huge difference. Construction of the switch is great and looks perfect in my system. Highly recommended.

Goodmorning, Yes a good switch like SotM and Melco (combined with a good PSU )make a big difference. Can you give us an indication what price were talking about?

The Ediscreation OCXO Silent Switch Extreme is around $1,550 USD. I checked other alternatives such as the SOtM and the Melco. Ediscreation’s has an excellent internal linear power supply, and the extreme version has silver wiring, Furutech AC inlet, better capacitors, Bybee, copper shielding, and in both editions, the extreme and non extreme, the OCXO is 25mhz which requires much less electronics than the usual 10mhz being used by others. My next acquisition is going to be the Ediscration Fiber Box Extreme. This converts the incoming ethernet to fiber optic and back to rj/e ethernet in order to shield the switch from any incoming noise and other similar interference. It has an excellent linear power supply, and OCXO, and the extreme edition has Bybee, Furutech, better wiring, better capacitors, copper shielding, etc.

11 minutes ago, JMAM said:

The Ediscreation OCXO Silent Switch Extreme is around $1,550 USD. I checked other alternatives such as the SOtM and the Melco. Ediscreation’s has an excellent internal linear power supply, and the extreme version has silver wiring, Furutech AC inlet, better capacitors, Bybee, copper shielding, and in both editions, the extreme and non extreme, the OCXO is 25mhz which requires much less electronics than the usual 10mhz being used by others. My next acquisition is going to be the Ediscration Fiber Box Extreme. This converts the incoming ethernet to fiber optic and back to rj/e ethernet in order to shield the switch from any incoming noise and other similar interference. It has an excellent linear power supply, and OCXO, and the extreme edition has Bybee, Furutech, better wiring, better capacitors, copper shielding, etc.

Thank you JMAM, thanks for you’re reply;in theory it looks great. I’ve to compere them to find the right winners in this case.

• 1 year later...

I wonder if, after burning-in the device for 4 weeks of constant playback of music, I just keep the unit on and play music back intermittently from then on, I will get the same quality of sound reproduction? In other words, after burning the unit in, it is enough to just keep the unit powered and turned on for optimal performance? Thank you!

As so many before, I can confirm that, too, after weeks of burn-in, the TXusb Ultra sounds leaps and bounds better.

"high fidelity” -> being faithful, accuracy in details; “the degree to which an electronic device accurately reproduces sound