IGNORED

SOTM tX-USBultra impressions

Can anyone offer a view on how long it takes to fully run-in a new tX-USBultra with Evox caps?  I’ve got one arriving today.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:45 AM, str-1 said:

Thanks for the advice about the hot glue but I now realise that that you do not need to take the board out to remove the jumper to convert to 12v.  It’s there within easy reach when you remove the front faceplate.  

It isn't glue, they are plastic pegs which are expanded to hold the board by insertion of plastic 'pins' from beneath the chassis.  These are hidden beneath the stick-on rubber feet if memory serves correct.  Once 'unpinned' the board can be removed from the chassis... I ended up taking the whole board out to change the voltage from 9v to 6.5 - 8.5v so that I could power it with 7v from an LPS-1

2015 MacBook Pro > SOtM tX-USBultra > Mutec MC3+USB > Chord Blu Mk2 > Chord Dave > ATC SIA2-150/P1/P2 > ATC SCM50 PSLT

5 hours ago, str-1 said:

Can anyone offer a view on how long it takes to fully run-in a new tX-USBultra with Evox caps?  I’ve got one arriving today.

My experience with Evox caps burn-in is about a week to just over a week; after that I normally can't tell if there are more changes.

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2019 at 5:23 PM, elan120 said:

My experience with Evox caps burn-in is about a week to just over a week; after that I normally can't tell if there are more changes.

Can you tell us anything about the changes in sound? 

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

5 hours ago, elan120 said:

Mostly in improved dynamic.  Once the burn-n process is completed, it is quite easy to observe the change, and I would highly recommend it, especially if you are comfortable to install the cap.

I agree and there is a feeling that the sound is bolder overall.

That's good to know. Can you be more specific about what Evox caps are we talking about? (value, link, etc.)
Thanks! ☺️ 

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

I was wondering, has any of you tried to shorten the internal (and too long) MCX (male) to BNC (female) cable inside the tX-USBultra instead of replacing it? I have the 75ohm BNC clock input.
Thanks!

10 minutes ago, johndoe21ro said:

I was wondering, has any of you tried to shorten the internal (and too long) MCX (male) to BNC (female) cable inside the tX-USBultra instead of replacing it? I have the 75ohm BNC clock input.
Thanks!

FWIW...for the amount of work involved to do it right shorting this cable, it might be worth while to just purchase a new one instead, but on the other hand, for the amount of improvement from shorter cable, the effort might be more justifiable to apply elsewhere...such as Evox cap upgrade. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi, 

I was all set to purchase the tx-USBUltra, however I have not yet bought a network player. I was just going to buy a cheap Allo unit. However, I just came across the SOtM SMS200 Ultra Neo. 

In terms of sheer sound quality, which will be the best?

1) SMS200Ultra Neo SE  alone

2) basic network player + tx-USBultra SE

Thanks. 

Thanks Tomm, 

It looks like there are a few good options for a starter network player, like the SMS200. 

I was hoping that the SMS200 Ultra Neo SE would incorporate the technology of the tx-USBultra SE, while providing a good network player as well. 

Is this not the case? 

I thought so too. Then I saw Hans Beekhuyzen's 2 part video on the USBultra.  He believes that if the SMS200Ultra provides e.g., 100% improvement, the USBultra only adds about another 30%. 

To his mind it seems that the heavy lifting is done by SMS200Ultra in terms of sound quality. 

Tomm, may I ask, do you also own the USBUltra as well? 

Are there any links you could point me to where I can read more?

Edward, i,ve acted the same as Hans advised me too. But after that i,ve missed my Tx usb ultra. But you have to decited for yourself. . There no one truth in this. Perhaps start with a Sotm Sms200ultra and ask your dealer for a trial period at home.In both cases you play on a very high level wich increases with a special PSU SPS500 (you evently can feed them both with a Y cable).

I know Hans is a real expert in the field. However, I'm hearing from other people I respect that a basic network player and the USBUltras will outperform the SMS200 ultra alone.

My instinct is that this is correct. I think the SMS200Ultra makes sense if you're attempting to build a no compromise system and are going to add the USButlra as well. In this situation you don't waste money on a basic player you upgrade later. 

If you have to choose between the two units though, I think that the USBUltra may be the way to go in terms of SQ. I just ordered an SE version with upgraded wiring. 

Pretty excited!

On 6/22/2020 at 2:02 AM, edwardsean said:

Thanks Tomm, 

It looks like there are a few good options for a starter network player, like the SMS200. 

I was hoping that the SMS200 Ultra Neo SE would incorporate the technology of the tx-USBultra SE, while providing a good network player as well. 

Is this not the case? 

Edwardsean,

First “Welcome”, it looks like you have been lurking around here for a while.  I am a firm believer that there is no ULTIMATE! Things move rather quickly.  @The Computer Audiophile has started a new series in the CAPS line,  @Nenon and others are building their own “Extreme” computers.  I play in the game a little on my own.  @austinpop has tried to nail down the headphone chain for himself.  There are dozens of paths through the maze. 

Step back and look at the rest of your systems.  Look at your budget and goals.  I love the USBridge Signature for my simple headphone listening system.  I am currently running with a DIY server through a txUSB Ultra to my Kii Three's:

DA987AB4-A902-4E57-836D-22E09B4345C0.thumb.jpeg.5ab1ff871ec18b1ef7fd30ea691b564d.jpeg

Do not get stuck on a single device or system until you have a better feel for where you are going.  Today’s ultimate may just be tomorrows fire sale.

bob

NOTE:  my system design shown here is a bit behind,  I will update it soon.