IGNORED

SOTM tX-USBultra impressions

3 hours ago, mozes said:

BTW, I just realized that the chassis of the tX is metal, so @Cornan you know what I am thinking :)

I will surely try grounding it and see if it makes any difference with it powered by the JS-2

I surely do! ? Go for it! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

21 hours ago, sidvee said:

I have a tx-USBhubEX currently in my setup.  If anyone has heard both this and ultra, is there a significant difference in SQ ?

Cheers,

Sid

I think this may take a while as the tX has just been launched. My guess is that there are very few owners so far

• 3 weeks later...

Subscribing to this thread as I have the tx-USBultra on order. Wanted to go for the ISO Regen, but then changed my mind for 2 reasons. The ultra is available right now and the early reviews are great, and I already have the SMS-200 which I like very much, so the ultra appears to be a natural upgrade for me.

But I am eagerly expecting reviews of the Uptone's new USPCB adapter for which Uptone claims to be better than any USB cable :)

6 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

Subscribing to this thread as I have the tx-USBultra on order. Wanted to go for the ISO Regen, but then changed my mind for 2 reasons. The ultra is available right now and the early reviews are great, and I already have the SMS-200 which I like very much, so the ultra appears to be a natural upgrade for me.

But I am eagerly expecting reviews of the Uptone's new USPCB adapter for which Uptone claims to be better than any USB cable :)

Based on my experience, if you are ok with the cost of tX-USBultra, then go for it. It is absolutely wonderful. It replaced my RUR and intona. I can't comment on the ISO-regen as I have never heard it, but I have one on order so will be trying that between my Nimitra server and the tX, lets see what happens :)

15 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

It be foolish not to take advantage of the extra clocking ability of the sclk ex board in the tX-USBUltra.  For an extra $50 per clock you should add at least Ultra to your SMS-200, you will need 2.  There will be an additional charge for modification and mailing of the component.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

6 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

It be foolish not to take advantage of the extra clocking ability of the sclk ex board in the tX-USBUltra.  For an extra $50 per clock you should add at least Ultra to your SMS-200, you will need 2.  There will be an additional charge for modification and mailing of the component.

Ok, I didn't quite understand that part. I have the sms-200 which will be connected via USB to the tx-USBultra. You think I should modify my sms-200 by adding 2 clocks to it, and use the tx-USBultra nonetheless?

6 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

Ok, I didn't quite understand that part. I have the sms-200 which will be connected via USB to the tx-USBultra. You think I should modify my sms-200 by adding 2 clocks to it, and use the tx-USBultra nonetheless?

Yes, the clocks will come from the tx-USBUltra for your sms-200.  You need to let them know this is what your going to do.  Just ask them to modify your sms-200 for Ultra using the tXUSBUltra.  They will walk you thru it.  Will cost you about an extra $300 with shipping, but well worth it.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Ok, got it. So that way I would use the clocking capabilities of the tx-USBUltra back to my sms-200? And the signal would be regenerated again by the tx-USBUltra after it leaves the modified sms-200? Is that right? The sms-200 and the tx-USBultra would be interconnected twice, right? Which kind of connection would go for the clocks only?

4 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

Ok, got it. So that way I would use the clocking capabilities of the tx-USBUltra back to my sms-200? And the signal would be regeneratora again by the tx-USBUltra after it leaves the modified sms-200? Is that right?

Correct, the sclk EX clocking board installed into the tX-USBUltra has room for 4 separate clocks.  The tX-USBUltra is only utilizing 1 of these.  In fact, you still have one extra clock (after using 2 for the sms-200) you could utilize on another component.  Utilizing all 4 clocks on components will further increase your SQ, from all reports so far.

10 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

Ok, got it. So that way I would use the clocking capabilities of the tx-USBUltra back to my sms-200? And the signal would be regenerated again by the tx-USBUltra after it leaves the modified sms-200? Is that right? The sms-200 and the tx-USBultra would be interconnected twice, right? Which kind of connection would go for the clocks only?

Sorry, I don't follow what your saying.   Don't confuse clocking for the actual audio streaming path.  All your doing is replacing inferior clocks with superior clocks.

2 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Sorry, I don't follow what your saying.   Don't confuse clocking for the actual audio streaming path.

If I understood you correctly, there is a clock in the stock SMS-200 which is inferior to the clock in the tx-USBultra. So the performance of the SMS-200 can be upgraded by utilizing an external clock in the tx-USBultra. To do so, the SMS-200 should be modified in a way to "receive" the clocking capability of the Ultra, right? It has nothing to do with the USB signal chain which will travel from the modified sms200 (USB out) to the tx-USBultra (USB in)?

I have some questions.

If you run a tX-USBUltra clock to a standard sMS-200, does the sMS-200 then become equivalent to the sMS-200Ultra, or are there other differences?

The mod to run the tX-USBUltra to a switch was done by SOtM?  So taking the austinpop method you send a switch to SOtM and get the switch back with a cable emerging, which is either connected internally to the tX-USBUltra or via one of the new clock taps appearing in the earlier photographs.  So SOtM do the clock connection as well as adding 2 linear regulators and capacitors?  (the regulators and capacitors were mentioned in an earlier austinpop post)

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

If I understood you correctly, there is a clock in the stock SMS-200 which is inferior to the clock in the tx-USBultra. So the performance of the SMS-200 can be upgraded by utilizing an external clock in the tx-USBultra. To do so, the SMS-200 should be modified in a way to "receive" the clocking capability of the Ultra, right? It has nothing to do with the USB signal chain which will travel from the modified sms200 (USB out) to the tx-USBultra (USB in)?

There are two separate components in the tX-USBUltra.  One of them is called the sclk-EX clocking board.  It has the capability to output 4 separate clocks at whatever frequency/timing you desire (It is what makes these components "Ultra").  One of them is utilized by the tX-USBUltra.

Yes, you could do exactly what Austinpop did and add a switch.

There are two separate components in the tX-USBUltra.  One of them is called the sclk-EX clocking board.  It has the capability to output 4 separate clocks at whatever frequency/timing you desire (It is what makes these components "Ultra").  One of them is utilized by the tX-USBUltra.

Yes, you could do exactly what Austinpop did and add a switch.

Well, I am not using a switch, I have a direct ethernet "bridged" connection between my PC (which is connected to my router via WiFi) and my sms-200. I ordered a wifi dongle for the sms-200 in order to remove the cable inbetween. It's much cheaper than adding expensive Ethernet cables, and some users have reported SQ improvements via the wifi dongle (May himself told me in an email this is a way to improve the SQ).

Well, I am not using a switch, I have a direct ethernet "bridged" connection between my PC (which is connected to my router via WiFi) and my sms-200. I ordered a wifi dongle for the sms-200 in order to remove the cable inbetween. It's much cheaper than adding expensive Ethernet cables, and some users have reported SQ improvements via the wifi dongle (May himself told me in an email this is a way to improve the SQ).

I hear ya, heck I'm still direct USB path and plan to remain.  Just pointing out you would have an extra clock to use for only $50 plus another $50 for modification, you would already be shipping.  Maybe a mobo clock?  Best to ask the Ethernet guys what would be best.

I hear ya, heck I'm still direct USB path and plan to remain.  Just pointing out you would have an extra clock to use for only $50 plus another $50 for modification, you would already be shipping.  Maybe a mobo clock?

Would it be possible to modify the router directly since I would be using wifi for connection?

I just sent an email to May, will see what he says about this.

57 minutes ago, mozes said:

Based on my experience, if you are ok with the cost of tX-USBultra, then go for it. It is absolutely wonderful. It replaced my RUR and intona. I can't comment on the ISO-regen as I have never heard it, but I have one on order so will be trying that between my Nimitra server and the tX, lets see what happens :)

Thanks, would love to hear if adding the ISO Regen improves the SQ of the chain.

7 minutes ago, mozes said:

Once I receive my Iso-Regen I will be posting my impressions here

I'd really like to get your feedback comparing ISO REGEN with tX-USBultra.  How are you using the other SOtM clock outputs?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's