IGNORED

SOTM tX-USBultra impressions

10 hours ago, str-1 said:

I would also welcome any feedback on this, and on whether there are any further improvements to be had from the 12V model.  If the current bad weather in the UK doesn’t delay production and shipping of this, I am expecting my Paul Hynes SR4 to arrive sometime next week, which can supply up to 2A continuous at 5V, 7V, 9V and 12V.  I plan to order a tx-USBultra when that arrives, but not sure whether to order the 6.5V-8.5V/9V model or the 12V.

I asked May from SOTM about this and she confirmed that the tX-USBultra sounds best at 9V. 

7 hours ago, mozes said:

I asked May from SOTM about this and she confirmed that the tX-USBultra sounds best at 9V. 

Thanks.  She recommend 9V to me as well, and said that unit would sound better at 9V than an at 6.5V-8.5V.  She also said 12V could sound better but heat could be an issue with that unit.  Just thought I’d ask the question here to learn what people’s experiences have been in different setups.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

31 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Could you test 12V too? Just for curiosity, to see if there is an SQ benefit.

I know people with 12V tX'es, and they don't seem to be complaining about excessive heat. That comment by May puzzled me

Unfortunately my unit doesn’t take 12V 

32 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I know people with 12V tX'es, and they don't seem to be complaining about excessive heat.

I used to have a 12V tX and never had any issue with heat, but never had a chance to test it at 9V.

9 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Oh - I thought you were going to test the 3 jumper settings by opening up the tX-USBultra case? 

5a998019932a6_ScreenShot2018-03-02at11_46_48AM.thumb.png.3fe987f0bc0b486ffe7d948de8832fbf.png

I think all units can be easily configured to 6.5-8.5V, 9V, or12V via that route.

No I won’t open the unit. Mine works fine on 7V and 9V without any issues or heat. 

8 minutes ago, mozes said:

No I won’t open the unit. Mine works fine on 7V and 9V without any issues or heat. 

What?! And I thought you were a DIY guy! Just kidding. :D

I've actually been considering doing this for a while, and even went and bought a Torx set to have the T8 size handy. Maybe when I open it up to add the EMI/RFI paper, I'll experiment with the jumpers. Maybe.

25 minutes ago, austinpop said:

What?! And I thought you were a DIY guy! Just kidding. :D

I've actually been considering doing this for a while, and even went and bought a Torx set to have the T8 size handy. Maybe when I open it up to add the EMI/RFI paper, I'll experiment with the jumpers. Maybe.

I opened them up long time ago to place the EMI/RFI sheet. I am a bit lazy now :) 

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

I know people with 12V tX'es, and they don't seem to be complaining about excessive heat. That comment by May puzzled me

That part of her reply to me was not crystal clear and it could be that she meant the heat problem was with some power supplies feeding the tx-USBUltra.  Does that sound more plausible?

I was under the impression the standard unit only covered voltages 6.5V-8.5V and 9V (changeable via jumper), and that you had to order the non-standard 12V unit to have that option.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

1 hour ago, str-1 said:

That part of her reply to me was not crystal clear and it could be that she meant the heat problem was with some power supplies feeding the tx-USBUltra.  Does that sound more plausible?

I was under the impression the standard unit only covered voltages 6.5V-8.5V and 9V (changeable via jumper), and that you had to order the non-standard 12V unit to have that option.

It depends on the version of the sCLK board.

On 02/03/2018 at 9:17 PM, Johnseye said:

It depends on the version of the sCLK board.

May replied to confirm I could change voltage settings across the range 6.5V-12V just by changing tne jumper settings.  She sent me the same image @austinpopposted a few postings back.  My tx-USBultra arrives later today and I expect I will find it has the Rev 1.3 board as the most recent revision.  

Does anyone know what improvements were made to the Rev 1.3 board, and what if any improvements this introduced to sound quality?