IGNORED

Just got a Yggdrasil!

First of all, he is the only one hearing this "problem". Second, he has never been able to prove that what he hears and dislikes is the glitch. Finally, the designer of the DAC says you can't hear the glitch.

It's crap because there was long thread that proved nothing to anyone....and then he starts in again here...and again with no proof and with no one else able to hear it.

I suppose you think he can hear a gnat fart from 50 meters.....

5 hours ago, semente said:

I don't think it would make sense to perform measurements unless they mattered.

It makes a lot a sense to people with an axe to grind to make measurements that purport to help their cause. Any sufficiently complex nonlinear system is vulnerable to crafted adversarial inputs that cause it to output something that does not conform to expected input-output characteristics. Whether that matters depend on whether adversarial inputs occur in the wild. Axe-grinders put a lot of effort seeking the adversarial inputs that help their point. Those with better things to do will roll their eyes and move on.

1 hour ago, earnmyturns said:

It makes a lot a sense to people with an axe to grind to make measurements that purport to help their cause. Any sufficiently complex nonlinear system is vulnerable to crafted adversarial inputs that cause it to output something that does not conform to expected input-output characteristics. Whether that matters depend on whether adversarial inputs occur in the wild. Axe-grinders put a lot of effort seeking the adversarial inputs that help their point. Those with better things to do will roll their eyes and move on.

+1

George

6 hours ago, earnmyturns said:

So, you're saying that JA (intentionally) created stress tests that he knew the Yggdrasil would fail?

Tests that most other DACs seem to pass?

I find this a bit bizarre, considering that Sphile and other magazines can only survive thanks to advertising (manufacturers)...

My view would be the opposite, that JA tends to gloss over equipment shortcomings.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

21 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Not everything that matters can be measured and not everything that can be measured matters.

"Not everything that matters can be measured and not everything that can be measured matters."

Amen! Could this quote be a sticky that gets automatically appended to the top of every thread please...

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

10 minutes ago, mourip said:

"Not everything that matters can be measured and not everything that can be measured matters."

Amen! Could this quote be a sticky that gets automatically appended to the top of every thread please...

To me, that quote is analogous to: "It's OK to believe in Santa Claus if you want.  No one has proven he doesn't exist".  It gives quarter to believers in audiophile magic.

1 hour ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

To me, that quote is analogous to: "It's OK to believe in Santa Claus if you want.  No one has proven he doesn't exist".  It gives quarter to believers in audiophile magic.

To turn it another way, you must think all measurements matter?

If one component has noise at -150 dB and another at -140 dB, does it actually matter?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If one component has noise at -150 dB and another at -140 dB, does it actually matter?

Circling back to the Yggy:  The zero crossing glitch exists unquestionably.  Isn't the better question, "is it audible"?  "Does it matter" is an ideological question and always causes needless controversy.

46 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Circling back to the Yggy:  The zero crossing glitch exists unquestionably.  Isn't the better question, "is it audible"?  "Does it matter" is an ideological question and always causes needless controversy.

I look at those two things closely, but a little different. Is it audible? No, then it doesn't matter to me. Yes, then I need to figure out if it's audible all the time or just with certain music etc... 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I look at those two things closely, but a little different. Is it audible? No, then it doesn't matter to me. Yes, then I need to figure out if it's audible all the time or just with certain music etc... 

Maybe we agree, not sure.  If it's inaudible, then I think any further interest is quixotic.

4 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Actually that quote was recited by the Audio Precision representative at an RMAF seminar I attended.  He wasn't wearing a beard and red outfit, either!  :) 

https://www.ap.com/

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

2 hours ago, wwaldmanfan said:

Not to a normal person. However, there are probably a few people here who would lose sleep over this sort of thing.

Noise only 140dB down?  Those bastards!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 4/3/2017 at 2:07 AM, manisandher said:

OK, shall we try again then?

1. The Yggy has zero-crossing glitching distortion.

58e1e618bde37_3.Yggyvs.Altair1kHz-90.31dBFSundithered.thumb.jpg.4b57dbc36ee6b906694f5bd1e671a1ce.jpg

JA referred to these as "significant errors at the signal's zero-crossing points" [highlight mine]. Perhaps these are inaudible, but perhaps they're not.

2. The Yggy has problems with high level, high frequency tones.

58e1e6ae05548_5.Yggyvs.Altair1920kHz0dBFSinto100kohms.thumb.jpg.dad07347437d6deb4dc2ba966cdca6ab.jpg

I had a quick look at the other DACs Stereophile had reviewed and couldn't find anything anywhere near as bad as this. Do you really think this is going to be inaudible?

3. The Yggy has problems with the LSBs of 24-bit data.

58e1e74f1fed6_2.Yggyvs.Altair1kHz-90dBFSnoise.thumb.jpg.67543a71b96e482b5a1cc7682ea32540.jpg

The 24 bit noise is correlated with the signal, and peaks up above the 16 bit noise at certain points. You don't think this is going to be audible?

So, what are your counter-arguments?

Mani.

The ultimate Schiit hater couldn't resist bringing up measurements that nobody can hear . 

And yet he claims the Yggdrasil isn't good but the Chord 2 qute is great . 

Ive had both for over a year and the Yggdrasil is better to my ears , particularly   

with acoustic music .

3 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

ok, hang on a nanosecond -- isn't "errors at the signal's zero-crossing points" something that amplifier designers have been trying to eliminate for decades??

isn't that watt has driven the sales of Class A amps?

isn't it watt the new (and highly reviewed) Benchmark has used a new technology to solve or reduce?

if so, is it not important for a DAC (or inside a DAC) yet is important for a power amp?

naturally, it is possible that the focus of hundreds or thousands of engineers is mis-placed...

I don't disagree with your core assertion here.  But what gets lost in the discussion is the design goals and trade offs that Mike Moffat had with the Yggy.  The choice of DAC chips (the ultimate source of the glitch, I believe) is a head scratcher to many.  I've heard some speculate that Moffat used a design that he was pretty sure no one else would try to replicate and undercut sales.

I don't think anyone defending the Yggy is claiming that it's the best DAC design ever.  But my conclusion (I listened to one at a friend's house for several sessions before buying one myself) was that for the price, the sound quality was unrivaled.  Now that the bar has been reset yet again, we will likely see a higher level of sound quality for the same money or even less.  I say again that I'm really looking forward to what the mysterious iFi iDSD Pro will sound like when (if) it's finally released.

The Yggy is like two year old tech.  Most of its design shortcomings are well known now.  And DAC designs have really improved over the last five years or so at an impressively accelerated rate.  In another two years, the Yggy might be seen as a "quaint" design from that "disruptive" DAC design era.  iFi will be making a "Pico" that is a quarter the size of a Dragonfly Red and will sound better than a dCS Vivaldi.  And I'm sure that will be controversial as well.  :)

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Could it be possible that even though artifacts may not be audible their causes may affect overall performance?

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

13 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

No, it does not, as one can hear neither.

George