IGNORED

Just got a Yggdrasil!

25 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I think before pointing fingers at anyone, we must consider their motives for doing anything. 

What does @manisandher have to gain by spending his time talking about a product (good or bad)? Chances are that he is just offering information, much the same as everyone else, to a community who can use and wants such information. 

Whether his info was right or wrong doesn't really matter. He put it out for public consumption and debate. 

Plus, we are all adults. We can read posts and judge their content. If Mani thinks the Yggy sucks, that doesn't make it so. I love e the Yggy. Mani's comments don't diminish my opinions at all. 

MAni has gone out of his way to disparage the Yggdrasil.  This measurement stuff was posted by him a million times before ,wasn't it? 

25 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

What does @manisandher have to gain by spending his time talking about a product (good or bad)? Chances are that he is just offering information, much the same as everyone else, to a community who can use and wants such information.

Exactly.

I started the thread, DAC test - 'Old School' vs. 'New Kid' just because I thought it might interest some people. I actually paid close to $5k to get hold of the DACs I used in the thread. What did I get out of this? Nothing, other than satisfying my interest. Actually, it led on to another thread that I found particularly interesting, How can a non-oversampling DAC sound good? I learned a lot of really interesting things there.

And this is how I've tended to operate on CA for the last 7 years or so.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

7 minutes ago, hornytoad said:

MAni has gone out of his way to disparage the Yggdrasil.  This measurement stuff was posted by him a million times before ,wasn't it? 

No. All the graphs I've posted in this thread have never been posted on CA before (to my knowledge). They're only 3 months old.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

12 minutes ago, crenca said:

Is this particular test controversial from an EE perspective? 

No, I don't think it is at all. Putting a component under a stress test can be quite insightful.

Mani.

12 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Can I triple like this???

Sure.  Go team.

(As I've mentioned before, I've heard Yggy and liked it, liked the Mike Moffat-designed DACs I owned for 20+ years, and think Mike is a very smart man.  I have a feeling this will be felt insufficient, however.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

22 minutes ago, manisandher said:

No. All the graphs I've posted in this thread have never been posted on CA before (to my knowledge). They're only 3 months old.

Mani.

So you posted your own measurements.

I thought you were bored with this thread?  

12 minutes ago, manisandher said:

No, I don't think it is at all. Putting a component under a stress test can be quite insightful.

Mani.

Ok, I can see how in general pushing something beyond its design limit reveals...its limitations??  But what does this particular test (a DAC "driving" a 600 ohm line out load) reveal?  In the real world, a DAC will never do this sort of thing as far as I am aware - sort of like hooking up a compact car to a 10,000 lb trailer and say "see, it can barely get moving and it overheats real quick and...".  Well yea, of course.  This is not really much of an insight.

Is this test just designed to show that some DAC designs have not overbuilt it's analogue output section to an n'th degree (in this case a 600 ohm n'th degree) and this reveals what sort of insights - that some DAC's have an overbuilt output section?

By the way I have no dog in this fight - I have not heard the Yggy and have no need to defend it but I am wondering what this sort of "stress" test is supposed to reveal and why a consumer would care.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

2 minutes ago, hornytoad said:

So you posted your own measurements.

Are you a bit slow? All the measurements I've posted in this thread are from the Stereophile review of the Yggy, that was published in January this year.

As a result of the review, Stereophile gave the Yggy a class B rating, which I think is about right, based on my time with it.

Mani.

1 minute ago, Jud said:

Yeah, all us folks who don't hate Mani, we're in on the conspiracy with regular meetings and stuff like that.  'Cause how reasonable could anyone be not to hate the guy who dissed the DAC you own?

All I know is Mani said the Chord 2 Qute was great and better than the Yggy (in Chord 2 qute thread) 

I had both for over a year and I completely disagree. 

So I really don't take much credence is his remarks. 

2 minutes ago, manisandher said:

Are you a bit slow? All the measurements I've posted in this thread are from the Stereophile review of the Yggy, that was published in January this year.

As a result of the review, Stereophile gave the Yggy a class B rating, which I think is about right, based on my time with it.

Mani.

I'm taking about a prior Yggdrasil thread .You were posting your own measurements or someone elses,correct? 

5 minutes ago, manisandher said:

Mani.

And yet he has the Benchmardk dac2 at A+ ,another dac I listened to for over a yer and sold. 

The Yggdrasil was completely superior and the treble harshness of the dac2 was unbearable at times. 

5 minutes ago, crenca said:

... sort of like hooking up a compact car to a 10,000 lb trailer and say "see, it can barely get moving and it overheats real quick and...".  Well yea, of course.  This is not really much of an insight.

I see it more of a 'Nürburgring time' sort of test. It's not particularly relevant to the way most owners would use the car on a day-to-day basis, but does sort the men from the boys.

Mani.

16 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yeah, all us folks who don't hate Mani, we're in on the conspiracy with regular meetings and stuff like that.  'Cause how reasonable could anyone be not to hate the guy who dissed the DAC you own?

Hate? I don't care enough to hate anyone here....and I don't care if he likes or dislikes the DAC I own. So your position on that is way off base. All I have ever experienced of this guy is his unusual disdain for a certain DAC. I experienced this here well before I ever thought I would ever spend over $500 on a DAC and had no horse in the race.

1 minute ago, manisandher said:

I see it more of a 'Nürburgring time' sort of test. It's not particularly relevant to the way most owners would use the car on a day-to-day basis, but does sort the men from the boys.

A glowing example of the kind of ever-so-slightly-below-the-radar trolling that the forum management is allowing Mani to engage in.

I learned a great deal about Computer Audiophile today.  :(

1 minute ago, manisandher said:

Mani.

But..but...but...  why?  Why does this particular test "sort the men from the boys"??  In what conceivable world would a DAC drive a 600ohm load?  When the preamp/integraded/active speakers it is supply a signal to is malfunctioning?? Are DAC's directly driving headphones or something out there?

Anyone want to take a stab at this question - I don't mean to pick on Mani here but as far as I can tell this test of JA's is asking for something irrelevant from the consumers point of view...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

3 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I learned a great deal about Computer Audiophile today.  :(

So have I! I am totally flabbergasted at the level of paranoia among some people here. An 'old-timers' club' here on CA? WTF?

Mani.

1 hour ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

He claims to have auditioned the Yggy.

You didn't answer my question. Who are you talking about here?

Mani.

13 minutes ago, crenca said:

But..but...but...  why?  Why does this particular test "sort the men from the boys"??  In what conceivable world would a DAC drive a 600ohm load?  When the preamp/integraded/active speakers it is supply a signal to is malfunctioning?? Are DAC's directly driving headphones or something out there?

Anyone want to take a stab at this question - I don't mean to pick on Mani here but as far as I can tell this test of JA's is asking for something irrelevant from the consumers point of view...

It is a fair test.  It isn't that common, but some preamps do have very low input impedances, and performance into that load would be very useful to know in that case.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/dartzeel-nhb-18ns-preamplifier-measurements#qyA0jjObyeAs1I0Z.97

"The input impedance was an extremely low 640 ohms, while the output impedance was a high 2500 ohms at low and midrange frequencies, rising to 3080 ohms at 20kHz. The input impedance is too low for many source components to give their best performance, the output impedance a little high for some power amplifiers."

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2