51 minutes ago, agladstone said:

Once you disable the MQA, you then need to gonthe the PCM filter settings and you can select one of 3:

SR (slow roll off)

FR (Fast Roll Off)

MPH (Minimum Phase) 

play with them, the SR is softer and more analog sounding. The FR is more detailed and more digital (could be a little harsh but could increase clarity in a soft recording, etc). 

MPH is closer to what the Brooklyn DAC uses for PCM filter when you have MQA Enabled. 

Thanks agladstone! I did'nt notice the PCM filters, so I'll be sure to check it out! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Now after checking the PCM filters I clearly prefer the SR (slow roll off) and actually find it most similar to MQA ENBL. It is a close shot between MQA DSBL with SR filter and MQA ENBL on well recorded FLAC. Still, I prefer MQA ENBL since this setting have a tad more "insight/depht" and better dynamic range compared to MQA DSBL with SR filter which is a tad smoother.

Reference Tidal FLAC album played was No-man "Schoolyard Ghosts", Phlake "Slush Hour" and Fatima Yamaha "A girl between two worlds". 

🎛️  Audio System  

2 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Now after checking the PCM filters I clearly prefer the SR (slow roll off) and actually find it most similar to MQA ENBL. It is a close shot between MQA DSBL with SR filter and MQA ENBL on well recorded FLAC. Still, I prefer MQA ENBL since this setting have a tad more "insight/depht" and better dynamic range compared to MQA DSBL with SR filter which is a tad smoother.

Reference Tidal FLAC album played was No-man "Schoolyard Ghosts", Phlake "Slush Hour" and Fatima Yamaha "A girl between two worlds". 

Yes, it is nice to know that there are some options and choices available. MQA Enabled is obviously a little easier (set it forget it), but fun to disable and use SR for a recording that is too bright and sharp or the FR for a recording that is to dull, etc. 

17 minutes ago, agladstone said:

Yes, it is nice to know that there are some options and choices available. MQA Enabled is obviously a little easier (set it forget it), but fun to disable and use SR for a recording that is too bright and sharp or the FR for a recording that is to dull, etc. 

Yes, I am glad you opened my eyes on this one. I can imagine that it could make some hardcore albums justice. I recently found an interesting album by Metallic Taste Of Blood called "Doctoring The Dead" that I will try listening with the SR filter right now! ?

http://tidal.com/album/53343780

Metallic-Taste-of-Blood-wpcf_300x300.thumb.jpg.25cff1417284bcf75c8a88ebd388c997.jpg

🎛️  Audio System  

Yay! I finally got the upgraded Compal CH7486e router up and running after a call to my service providers support (com hem). It turned out that the new routers Mac address needed to be registrated for it to work! ?

IMG_6564.thumb.JPG.2aca3b43a70b5276ca8c89f394135b99.JPG

The WiFi speed is clearly stronger than the previous Netgear router. I will have a listen if it will show in terms of sq later tonight. Right now I will be busy connecting all the devices including wireless adapters and ensure that the settings are optimal. I'll be back with sq impressions of a router upgrade with Tidal streaming asap. ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Finally got some time to listen. Oh yes! The Compal CH7486e did it. Listening to No-man "Schoolyard Ghosts" ones again and are amazed by how present and natural  the music seems to be. Stevens voice got great timbre and the background instruments are very accurate sounding and clearly enlightened without sounding forward. A very natural flow in the music with an amazing depth. The church bell and electronic boy choir in "Pigeon Drummer" sounds super-real when suddenly appearing out of nowhere. Immediate goose-bumps. I just love it, love it, love it! ?

image.thumb.jpeg.2cff901be9cc0ad8670cdb742235039d.jpeg

🎛️  Audio System  

1 minute ago, mozes said:

Congrats, great that it made a difference to the better! Enjoy the music now :)

Yeah, this proves the routers importance for Tidal streaming once more. I think it's time to order the 200VA floating IT from ATL Hi-Fi that I got a quotation on. I was suppose to use it for my active speakers in my B setup, but now I just realized that it just have to be granted my Compal router instead. I'm sure that DC blocker trap filter>ATL floating IT>Voltcraft 1134 floating LPS>Compal router will be nothing but awesome in my setup. The router is the king of Tidal streaming and deserves a crown of its own! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

7 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Yeah, this proves the routers importance for Tidal streaming once more. I think it's time to order the 200VA floating IT from ATL Hi-Fi that I got a quotation on. I was suppose to use it for my active speakers in my B setup, but now I just realized that it just have to be granted my Compal router instead. I'm sure that DC blocker trap filter>ATL floating IT>Voltcraft 1134 floating LPS>Compal router will be nothing but awesome in my setup. The router is the king of Tidal streaming and deserves a crown of its own! ?

I don't know why ITs and DC traps seem not to have impact in my chain, maybe it is there but still subtle. I am not sure if the impact of these devices in 220v AC mains is more pronounced than in 110v. I will be testing this in more details soon to have some conclusive takeaways based on empirical evidence.

14 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I'm sure that DC blocker trap filter>ATL floating IT>Voltcraft 1134 floating LPS>Compal router will be nothing but awesome in my setup.

You might want to add one of these.  It floats.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/03/531376014/enormous-rubber-duck-in-canada-is-counterfeit-artist-alleges

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Just now, mozes said:

I don't know why ITs and DC traps seem not to have impact in my chain, maybe it is there but still subtle. I am not sure if the impact of these devices in 220v AC mains is more pronounced than in 110v. I will be testing this in more details soon to have some conclusive takeaways based on empirical evidence.

@Superdad have actually mentioned in another thread that AC mains DC blockers seems to have more impact is EU countries. Not sure if he have any clues why though? Even if I know @JohnSwenson are somewhat against AC mains DC blockers due to safety issues he might know if there could be a reason why they seems more efficient in EU vs US countries? Would be interesting to know! ?

Have you tried it pre your Nimitra?

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

Finally got some time to listen. Oh yes! The Compal CH7486e did it.

Very glad your new router is sounding good. Enjoy!

It is ironic, because here in the States, we tend to find ISP-supplied routers to be of very low quality. I know in my case, I had an issue with my service where, for a while I had to use an ISP-supplied router (that looks suspiciously like yours, but was black). This was branded "Technicolor" and was a real piece of crap in terms of SQ, and causing mysterious pauses with music streaming. I quickly replaced it with a self-owned Netgear CM600 modem feeding a TP-Link Archer C7 router, and everything was good again.

Are you required to lease your modem/router from your ISP in Sweden? Here in the States, ISPs tend to charge a lease fee (around $10/mo) for their modem/router, but you have the right to avoid this fee by using your own modem/router.

But don't worry - this is a moot point if you are finding a benefit with the new router!

2 hours ago, Cornan said:

@Superdad have actually mentioned in another thread that AC mains DC blockers seems to have more impact is EU countries. Not sure if he have any clues why though? Even if I know @JohnSwenson are somewhat against AC mains DC blockers due to safety issues he might know if there could be a reason why they seems more efficient in EU vs US countries? Would be interesting to know! ?

Have you tried it pre your Nimitra?

My Nimitra is powered by a VR Mini which is isolated from the mains so no need for it there.

19 minutes ago, mozes said:

My Nimitra is powered by a VR Mini which is isolated from the mains so no need for it there.

The VR Mini is definitely on the top of my next audiophile purchase list for my Brooklyn DAC! 

I'm convinced that it will be a big step up from my HDPlex 100! 

I've also read some reviews from people on other audiophile forums praising the Astron LPSU in conjunction with the Brooklyn DAC, stating that it bested much more expensive audiophile LPSU's (I think it's only about $100 USD)?  

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

Very glad your new router is sounding good. Enjoy!

It is ironic, because here in the States, we tend to find ISP-supplied routers to be of very low quality. I know in my case, I had an issue with my service where, for a while I had to use an ISP-supplied router (that looks suspiciously like yours, but was black). This was branded "Technicolor" and was a real piece of crap in terms of SQ, and causing mysterious pauses with music streaming. I quickly replaced it with a self-owned Netgear CM600 modem feeding a TP-Link Archer C7 router, and everything was good again.

Are you required to lease your modem/router from your ISP in Sweden? Here in the States, ISPs tend to charge a lease fee (around $10/mo) for their modem/router, but you have the right to avoid this fee by using your own modem/router.

But don't worry - this is a moot point if you are finding a benefit with the new router!

Thanks Rajiv! ?

No, I buy and own my router with my ISP when the contract is signed. However, since my ISP is using satellite input (coaxial) and to my knowledge is the only ISP using it there is no other choise than to use the range provided by the ISP. There is simply no routers available in the shops with satellite input. That's why I bought mine second hand (but only 2 weeks old) for close to nothing. You'll need to live in a home that uses my ISP (com hem) to able to use their routers.

🎛️  Audio System  

4 hours ago, mozes said:

Even if VR Mini is an awesome PSU it shouldn't really limit you to try it there anyway. I did'nt think that a floating PSU would improve connected to a safety IT (making it dual float instead of single float) or a DC blockers would improve a safety IT or a floating LPS either, but I'm extremely glad I tried! Sometimes the benefits is heard in the best spots! ?

Think of it like this. A DC blocker would make the power to the next device clean from DC currents. Why would'nt for example VR Mini benefit from clean power of your AC mains is polluted by it? IMO DC blockers is like a DC stress reliever. It will make the devices run smoother without unneccessary DC stress/interfearences. If you do not have so much DC currents in Canada I would assume that if it is anywhere you'll be able to hear those changes it would be at the primary spots.

🎛️  Audio System  

9 hours ago, Cornan said:

Even if VR Mini is an awesome PSU it shouldn't really limit you to try it there anyway. I did'nt think that a floating PSU would improve connected to a safety IT (making it dual float instead of single float) or a DC blockers would improve a safety IT or a floating LPS either, but I'm extremely glad I tried! Sometimes the benefits is heard in the best spots! ?

Think of it like this. A DC blocker would make the power to the next device clean from DC currents. Why would'nt for example VR Mini benefit from clean power of your AC mains is polluted by it? IMO DC blockers is like a DC stress reliever. It will make the devices run smoother without unneccessary DC stress/interfearences. If you do not have so much DC currents in Canada I would assume that if it is anywhere you'll be able to hear those changes it would be at the primary spots.

You are right there, I will try it as I have both units anyway. Will keep you posted

To prepare myself for the coming (quite big) change in my B setup I started to experiment with my starquad wired DC terminal strip yesturday. I was curious how all my 5v devices (D-Link switch, Oehlbach DAC 40would & Chromecast Audio into USB host power splitter into TP-Link UE-300 USB ethernet adapter) would sound powered by a single TP-Link Vivid powerbank instead of powered by three separate batteries.

Sorry for the bad/dark pictures, but I started out at 23:30 last night and had a listen and took the pictures at 07:30 this morning.

IMG_6579.thumb.JPG.6756209b10aff43ab26be72a239f08ac.JPGIMG_6580.thumb.JPG.63f00e5e005806907de295c6acde9d47.JPG

Of course I suspected that this could improve SQ since I took my time doing it in the first place. But hey, I did´nt expect that it would transform the sound to THAT great extent. Suddenly the setup sounded almost as good as before the Gopherts was "robbed" from this setup to my A setup! :)

Hmmm, I wonder if this transformation in SQ is due to batteries so called self-inflicted noise?  (Note! I used three identical TP-Link Vivid's to compare with one connected to the starquad DC terminal)

Anyway, this finding will most likely change my initial plans for the coming B setup a bit. Instead of letting Gophert PSU take care of the 5v devices and run the laptop on batteries I will start by powering the laptop with Gophert psu and let a single TP-Link Vivid powerbank supply power to D-Link switch, Regen Amber (with no 5v from laptop to Regen input), BluWave USB to Spdif & Oehlbach DAC40. I think the TP-Link Vivid´s 2,4A output should cover all 4 devices (touch wood).

As you might have noted on the first picture my experiments with quartz stones have not come to a halt. On the contrary it have accelerated as you can see here. I can ensure you that have them on many more spots! ;)

IMG_6581.thumb.JPG.536bc89e15928d70cb31401e548afee6.JPG

I also experimented with my Tibetanian singing bawls yesturday. I concentrated my efforts only on top of the speakers. They actually do make a difference for the better when you hit the right spot. The sound gets a little bit wider and treble more pronounced. No big differences, but still enough for me to keep experimenting with them. Best spot on top of the speakers are in the center back of the speakers. Not completely at the end back, but roughly 3-4cm from the back so the end of the bawl edge it just outside the edge of the speaker.

IMG_6582.thumb.JPG.d8c9b8a232fa48f1e952b1a8ab3cda54.JPG

Next up is to experiment with the singing bawls outside the speakers. Starting with the wall, but I´ll need to figure out a non-permanent solution to get them attached to the wall without making unneccessary holes. It will be a challenge! Did someone just say Blutac? :)

I have also asked ALT Hi-Fi how much he wants for a 200VA balanced AND floating isolation transformer. I have already asked him for the same one unbalanced and floating, but after reading the great posts by @Abtr how much he prefer his floating IT to be balanced wired I descided to give it a try for the fun of it. Still not intirely sure where I will put it yet though, but my primary choises in order for the moment are between these spots: post DC blocker trap filter and pre Voltcraft 1134>main router, post Ultra IT and pre active speakers in B setup, pre Gophert PSU>Thinkpad X201 or maybe a dedicated line for the Gophert PSU>Aqvox switch-8 in my A setup. We´ll see where it ends up!? :)

🎛️  Audio System  

Yay! It looks like tomorrow will be my happy ISORegen day. I couldn't ask for a better day to get it. I am going to a live concert with my son on Saturday, but I'll know what I'll be doing the remaining weekend! Wearing out my Fostex TH900 even more. I had to order new real leather ears pads for it today. Not only my family, but even my Fostex are getting tired of my constant music listening these days! ?

Right now I am listening to speakers though. Amazed by the transformation a single battery vs multiple batteries did to this setup. I am only missing some of the air that the Gophert adds up, but despite that it simply sounds great. Enjoying James Yuill's super album "Movement in the storm" together with my neighbours! ?

54.thumb.jpg.5618d3ecbb7bf4aeaa68b793bd3147f7.jpg

🎛️  Audio System