4 hours ago, mozes said:

This guy must have impressive soldering skills to build a starquad usb cable. This will be very interesting to listen to and see how it performs.

Yes indeed! I would never pull off that kind of soldering project. I have only deep respect for his skills! ?

I am thrilled that he could make the starquad USB cable with JSSG loop. Personally I believe it could be a winner, but the truth of the pudding is in the eating! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

30 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Yes indeed! I would never pull off that kind of soldering project. I have only deep respect for his skills! ?

I am thrilled that he could make the starquad USB cable with JSSG loop. Personally I believe it could be a winner, but the truth of the pudding is in the eating! ?

Btw I just replaced an elijah usb cable between the Iso Regen and tX with a USPCB, waw the improvement is not subtle at all, it put a smile on my face. Mainly better transparency

27 minutes ago, mozes said:

Btw I just replaced an elijah usb cable between the Iso Regen and tX with a USPCB, waw the improvement is not subtle at all, it put a smile on my face. Mainly better transparency

Great to hear Moussa! ? Still Elijah sounds best in my setup between Aries.Mini and Brooklyn with the help of USB injection and GND lift, but I hope the starquad will be a game changer in my setup. I do not want to squeeze my setup to accomondate my second USPCB. 

🎛️  Audio System  

I don't know if I want to laugh or cry. I just tried this chain:

BlueWalker PowerWalker AVR 1200 VA voltage regulator>Monster HDP650 power filter>ALT Hi-Fi DC blockers trap filter>Voltcraft FSP-1134 floating LPS>Compal CH7486e main router

So, what is the problem you might ask? It sounds just awesome and the picture on the TV that is connected to the power filter and voltage regulator is just crisper than ever. The sq with Tidal took a jump in SQ that I cannot even find sensible words for. Clear & natural feeling, background omph & laid back air, physical presence & and dynamic micro details are just a few of the weird improvements I hear. Surrealistic words, but I can assure you that the improvements are very real. I just want to cry because I still feel that despite the excessive AC chain I am sure that I am still not done. A floating IT will possibly improve it further. Just saying. Router and network switches is the king & Queen of Tidal streaming. Show them respect and they will grant you a magical music experiance! ?

In short the $45 (incl freight) BlueWalker PowerWalker AVR 1200 VA is an amazing value in terms of picture AND sound quality!

avr-1200va.thumb.jpg.671a5a9d36fb8d4c9bc45cad21689c6a.jpg.3f0da1036c0bcdb83738456f6ed301c9.jpg

🎛️  Audio System  

12 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I don't know if I want to laugh or cry. I just tried this chain:

BlueWalker PowerWalker AVR 1200 VA voltage regulator>Monster HDP650 power filter>ALT Hi-Fi DC blockers trap filter>Voltcraft FSP-1134 floating LPS>Compal CH7486e main router

So, what is the problem you might ask? It sounds just awesome and the picture on the TV that is connected to the power filter and voltage regulator is just crisper than ever. The sq with Tidal took a jump in SQ that I cannot even find sensible words for. Clear & natural feeling, background omph & laid back air, physical presence & and dynamic micro details are just a few of the weird improvements I hear. Surrealistic words, but I can assure you that the improvements are very real. I just want to cry because I still feel that despite the excessive AC chain I am sure that I am still not done. A floating IT will possibly improve it further. Just saying. Router and network switches is the king & Queen of Tidal streaming. Show them respect and they will grant you a magical music experiance! ?

Great stuff @Cornan your dedication to cleaning your AC mains are exceptional. It would be very insightful if you can borrow an LPS-1 to compare against your chain. 

4 minutes ago, mozes said:

Great stuff @Cornan your dedication to cleaning your AC mains are exceptional. It would be very insightful if you can borrow an LPS-1 to compare against your chain. 

I would love to try a LPS-1, but in this case a LPS-1 would'nt help. The BlueWalker PowerWalker would most likely help the LPS-1 though, since it ensures improved balance of AC main connection! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

What about this for a soldering project! ?

20170904_122455-1.thumb.jpg.e7aeb4f3d8b9ac573577ecd145c062da.jpg

Here is the finished 8 conductors starquad USB cable with JSSG loop.

20170904_194646-1.thumb.jpg.d170101ce554de9e7415fbb33399e621.jpg

I cannot believe Alex could pull it off that quick. He's simply amazing!

Better still the balanced floating/grounded IT might be ready in the end of this week. Fun time ahead! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

9 minutes ago, Cornan said:

What about this for a soldering project! ?

20170904_122455-1.thumb.jpg.e7aeb4f3d8b9ac573577ecd145c062da.jpg

Here is the finished 8 conductors starquad USB cable with JSSG loop.

20170904_194646-1.thumb.jpg.d170101ce554de9e7415fbb33399e621.jpg

I cannot believe Alex could pull it off that quick. He's simply amazing!

Better still the balanced floating/grounded IT might be ready in the end of this week. Fun time ahead! ?

So your usb cable will have 4 conductors on each of the data lines?

16 minutes ago, mozes said:

So your usb cable will have 4 conductors on each of the data lines?

It will have double wires connected to all of the pins, ie. 5v, GND, D+ & D-. Each 4 conductors (5v+GND and D+&D-) is separately shielded with a drain wire attached to the two (or rather 4) sides of the shield, but NOT connected to the plugs.

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

It will have double wires connected to all of the pins, ie. 5v, GND, D+ & D-. Each 4 conductors (5v+GND and D+&D-) is separately shielded with a drain wire attached to the two (or rather 4) sides of the shield, but NOT connected to the plugs.

Thanks for the explanation. Will wait till you try it in your system and see how it performs. 

4 minutes ago, mozes said:

Thanks for the explanation. Will wait till you try it in your system and see how it performs. 

You are welcome! ?

A wise decision! ? Even if I strongly believe in this starquad USB cable it is impossible to really know for sure until I've tried it. I will post my impressions within a couple of weeks when everything (starquad USB, balanced IT & starquad AC mains cable) arrives.

🎛️  Audio System  

Finally my order for DC cables with JSSG loop have been finalized. Here is the pricing if anyone is interested:

Custom 4mm banana plugs to Oyaide DC-2. 5G 4S6 DC Cable
Length: 50cm, with JSSG loop

1 34,00 USD 34,00 USD

Custom 4mm banana plugs to Oyaide DC-2. 1G 4S6 DC Cable
Length: 50cm, with JSSG loop

1 34,00 USD 34,00 USD

Custom DC Y cable( Banana plugs to USB A female and DC-2. 1G)
A=15cm, B=10cm, C=40cm, all with JSSG loop

1 60,00 USD 60,00 USD

After reading JS posts on the ISO Regen listening impression thread I decided to buy ESD grounding plug to experiment with chassi grounding in different parts of my two systems. It will be fun to see if it for example could improve network switch or the ThinkPad X201 in my upcoming B setup. I can also see it pretty handy for AC mains grounding (ie. the other way around)

https://www.conrad.se/ESD-jordningsbox-Wolfgang-Warmbier-2200.113-2-m.htm?websale8=conrad-swe&pi=1337382&ci=SHOP_AREA_27822_0203063

1337382_BB_00_FB.EPS_1000.thumb.jpg.6cebd412d116fc332d3c425b1dbe9524.jpg

🎛️  Audio System  

@Cornan is there something special with that plug or is it just a way to connect a ground wire to a Schuko outlet? 300SEK is rather expensive if it only is a plug and a wire....  

I also have thoughts about grounding my network equipment but what is the proper way to do it? One ground cable to every component so all is tied together in a star connection. Will it make a difference if this star connection is connected to the ground of the powersupply that feeds all of the equipment?  Not all case are made of metal so dont really know how grounding only some of them will affect the system. 

My 230V will go to a PSU with 4 seperate rails that feeds my fiber ISP, router, switch and future NUC with Roon ROCK. Ghent DC cables will be used.

I recently started to read here about isolation transformers and have thoughts if this will be something to use in the PSU before the transformers (r-core) either 1 big or 2 smaller transformers feeding 4 seperate AC/DC linear regulators with floating output. Will the extra isolation before a r-core make any difference? Anyone seen some good isolation transformers that is suitable to DIY use in a build?

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
36 minutes ago, octaviars said:

@Cornan is there something special with that plug or is it just a way to connect a ground wire to a Schuko outlet? 300SEK is rather expensive if it only is a plug and a wire....  

I also have thoughts about grounding my network equipment but what is the proper way to do it? One ground cable to every component so all is tied together in a star connection. Will it make a difference if this star connection is connected to the ground of the powersupply that feeds all of the equipment?  

Hi octaviars,

The special about this plug is that it is a dedicated ESD grounding plug. It is ment to deal with static charges by grounding it to the safety ground pin. You can ofcourse build one yourself with a normal Schuko plug if you get a model with removable pins. For me I rather buy one that is ceritified and 100% safe rather than experimenting with my own versions. Dealing with AC mains is no joke.

There is different kinds of groundings to consider. For me personally I will use the ESD grouning plug for either the network switch GND screw or to the chassi of my Thinkpad X201 laptop to see how that turns out draining out static electricity and improve grounding. I will also try to connect the ESD grounding plug to my Aucharm tourmaline grounding box. This will enhance the grounding performance in the AC mains connection, ie. the other way around.

However, if I understand your question right what you are talking about is chassi-to-chassi grounding and star grounding. Here is a good place to start if you are interested to know more about that:

I hope that helps! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

41 minutes ago, octaviars said:

My 230V will go to a PSU with 4 seperate rails that feeds my fiber ISP, router, switch and future NUC with Roon ROCK. Ghent DC cables will be used.

I recently started to read here about isolation transformers and have thoughts if this will be something to use in the PSU before the transformers (r-core) either 1 big or 2 smaller transformers feeding 4 seperate AC/DC linear regulators with floating output. Will the extra isolation before a r-core make any difference? Anyone seen some good isolation transformers that is suitable to DIY use in a build?

In general R-core based PSUs are a great choise, but plugging a R-core into a isolation transformer with floating secondary (balanced or not) will most likely make a difference for the better since it will isolate the ground. However, it is important to know how your PSU separates the 4 rails to know just how much it will improve. IMO a good constructed R-Core PSU with multiple rails should have independent R-Core transformers for each rail like for example this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hi-end-3-way-S11-Ultra-low-noise-linear-Power-supply-DC5V-DC9V-DC12V-LPS/122625352090?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.2f19bc695e9096d453f2ae2deb8b7340.jpg

If you want to build your own isolation transformer I think @Abtr could be of great help! ;)

🎛️  Audio System  

2 hours ago, Cornan said:

Dealing with AC mains is no joke

I know I do it on a daily basis as an industrial electrician :) but right now I am home with my two kids but will be back at work in a month....

However, if I understand your question right what you are talking about is chassi-to-chassi grounding and star grounding. Here is a good place to start if you are interested to know more about that:

Yes my question was more reflecting what happens if you tie everything together at the same point? In my work today extra grounding is mostly about having everything at the same potential.

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

However, it is important to know how your PSU separates the 4 rails to know just how much it will improve

Well I have looked at some solutions, I want to DIY as I need 5V, 12V and two 19V rails for my network and in one box. I talked to Paul Hynes and he uses one toroidal transformer with 4 seperate outputs to each regulator board but I think a SR7MR4 is a bit to expensive and really dont know if it needs to have those specs to run the network equipment or just the use of linear PSU will make it perform better.

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

IMO a good constructed R-Core PSU with multiple rails should have independent R-Core transformers for each rail like for example this one:

The PSU that you linked to those regulator boards can be bought on Ebay from Germany with different voltages.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Assembled-DC12V-Ultra-low-noise-SUPER-linear-power-supply-board-LPS-PSU-DIY-GE-/122478686841?hash=item1c844c7279:g:hycAAOSwcgNZCrCD

If you want to build your own isolation transformer I think @Abtr could be of great help!

Well regarding the use of isolation transformers I have looked at Topaz but I dont think that importing one from the states to Sweden will be so easy and not the cheapest solution hence my question for other ones that perhaps is available in the EU. I dont think I will run the whole system on isolation anyway but who knows. Perhaps more use isolation at serten points as in the PSU:s but that is perhaps overkill? When I look at ready made PSU some use shurter filters and some dont so that is perhaps something that needs to be taken in consideration to?

Today I have one dedicated cable (3g10kvmm) from the powercabinet where the meter is that goes to my powerstrip (Ansuz 8D) and in that strip my upcoming CD/DAC/Pre-amp, poweramp and streaming solution will be powered from. My second powercable goes to the network rack and will power the PSU that feeds the equipment there. I tend to look at the possibility to run fiber between my switch (has SFP port) to a FMC in the audio rack and feed a endpoint. I dont yet have decided what route to go, I have talked to SOtM of geting a SMS Ultra with clock output to the FMC and also get the FMC rebuild at SOtM (they was about to rebuild a TP Link MC220L with clock input and better internal power components). As my stereo and network are on two seperate power supplys I dont want them to get mixed up so fiber seems like a good idea right now but I really dont know.

Main system
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC

Second system
42 minutes ago, octaviars said:

I know I do it on a daily basis as an industrial electrician :) but right now I am home with my two kids but will be back at work in a month....

Well, then it will be a walk in the park for you! ;) Twins? It sounds like you have your work cut out this month! :)

45 minutes ago, octaviars said:

Well regarding the use of isolation transformers I have looked at Topaz but I dont think that importing one from the states to Sweden will be so easy and not the cheapest solution hence my question for other ones that perhaps is available in the EU.

Since I also live in Sweden I can recommend that you take a look at the Peaktech 2240 https://www.elfa.se/sv/isolationstransformator-500-cee-peaktech-peaktech-2240/p/11095163?channel=b2c&price_gs=2316.25&wt_mc=se.cse.gshop.sv.-&source=googleps&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm6XSrKaO1gIV0IKyCh3ZZQ8dEAYYASABEgLAdvD_BwE

It is a isolation transformer with floating secondary and is the very same one that I am using in my main system.

48 minutes ago, octaviars said:

I dont think I will run the whole system on isolation anyway but who knows. Perhaps more use isolation at serten points as in the PSU:s but that is perhaps overkill?

Actually, the best thing when using a isolation transformer with floating secondary is to connect all the devices to it. Make sure that the power strip is without any filters or surge protections for best results. IMO a DC blocker trap filter pre the Peaktech improves SQ though.

51 minutes ago, octaviars said:

Today I have one dedicated cable (3g10kvmm) from the powercabinet where the meter is that goes to my powerstrip (Ansuz 8D) and in that strip my upcoming CD/DAC/Pre-amp, poweramp and streaming solution will be powered from. My second powercable goes to the network rack and will power the PSU that feeds the equipment there. I tend to look at the possibility to run fiber between my switch (has SFP port) to a FMC in the audio rack and feed a endpoint. I dont yet have decided what route to go, I have talked to SOtM of geting a SMS Ultra with clock output to the FMC and also get the FMC rebuild at SOtM (they was about to rebuild a TP Link MC220L with clock input and better internal power components). As my stereo and network are on two seperate power supplys I dont want them to get mixed up so fiber seems like a good idea right now but I really dont know.

Not much to comment there. All seems good . The only thing might be the FMC route. I have done the fiber route before and I do think that a wireless adapter/bridge into a network switch with UTP network cables sounds quite a lot better. However, if you get those FMCs rebuild by SoTM they might prove to be awesome.

Lycka till! :)

Micael

🎛️  Audio System  

Twins? It sounds like you have your work cut out this month!

No I have one that is 3 years and one that is 16 month old and have been home with them for 6 months now but the little one starts his daycare the next month so back to work again.

Since I also live in Sweden I can recommend that you take a look at the Peaktech 2240

I will check that out, thanks for the tip :)

Actually, the best thing when using a isolation transformer with floating secondary is to connect all the devices to it. Make sure that the power strip is without any filters or surge protections for best results. IMO a DC blocker trap filter pre the Peaktech improves SQ though.

Yes I understand that, do you run all of your equipment on the one you have? My powerstrip is without any kind of filter but I have a filter with varistors and XY-capacitors right before the strip so you suggest to get rid of them and perhaps only use a DC-blocker?

I have done the fiber route before and I do think that a wireless adapter/bridge into a network switch with UTP network cables sounds quite a lot better. However, if you get those FMCs rebuild by SoTM they might prove to be awesome.

What wireless adaptor/bridge did you use? Well my switch have a SFP port so I only would use a FMC at the endpoint but this is not something I have decided yet.

Main system

Second system
3 hours ago, Cornan said:

... Actually, the best thing when using a isolation transformer with floating secondary is to connect all the devices to it. ...

Well, IME with my (balanced) IT with floating secondary, it seems best to connect the power supplies of all gear that has an analogue audio output function and/or a digital audio clocking function to the isolation transformer (i.e., DAC, pre-amp, power-amp). All other (audio related) equipment (computer, streamer, etc.) should be isolated from the analogue gear as much as possible, maybe even with their own IT.

I'm currently experimenting with an Uptone iso Regen and its LPS-1 power supply. The combo sounds better when the Meanwell SMPS of the LPS-1 is *not* connected to the isolation transformer. So there may be a grey area of devices with which you'll have to experiment..

BTW, I didn't try the Gophert yet, but I intent to use it as a power supply for the LPS-1 or my laptop. :) 

21 minutes ago, Abtr said:

All other (audio related) equipment (computer, streamer, etc.) should be isolated from the analogue gear as much as possible, maybe even with their own IT.

So one IT to my CD/DAC/pre-amp (one box) and poweramplifier and one IT to the streamer.

Do you have any info on the IT you make that you can share @Abtr ?

Main system

Second system
4 minutes ago, octaviars said:

So one IT to my CD/DAC/pre-amp (one box) and poweramplifier and one IT to the streamer.

Do you have any info on the IT you make that you can share @Abtr ?

I currently use an Amplimo ZN1902S: https://www.toroidal-transformer.com/shop/high-end-audio/audio-safety-transformer/709/audio-scheidingstrafo-900va.html I have an Airlink BPS1502 coming: https://airlinktransformers.com/product/standard-balanced-power-supply-bps1502 

2 hours ago, octaviars said:

No I have one that is 3 years and one that is 16 month old and have been home with them for 6 months now but the little one starts his daycare the next month so back to work again.

Ok, then it should be more easy going! ?

I will check that out, thanks for the tip :)

You're welcome! ?

Yes I understand that, do you run all of your equipment on the one you have? My powerstrip is without any kind of filter but I have a filter with varistors and XY-capacitors right before the strip so you suggest to get rid of them and perhaps only use a DC-blocker?

What I really suggest is that you experiment with different setups to see where it sounds best in your setup. I would for example try without the filter since it affects the impedance. A DC blockers trap filter worked wonders pre the Peaktech in my setup, but also pre the Voltcraft floating PSU> main router (I have two). It does'nt affect the sound signature at all IME.

What wireless adaptor/bridge did you use? Well my switch have a SFP port so I only would use a FMC at the endpoint but this is not something I have decided yet.

I use TP-Link RE450 as a wireless adapter into a Aqvox switch-8. Much much better than battery powered MC110CM into a battery powered D-Link DSG-105 switch IME.

🎛️  Audio System