IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

Just now, KeenObserver said:

MQA wants to become to music what Dolby is to video.  MQA wants to control the distribution of music.

Will we see the need for protected interconnects like HDMI to play music? With all the problems that these special interconnects cause?

Will we be able to play non MQA music if MQA becomes the norm and all new equipment is MQA certified?

MQA is a scheme that might have made sense twenty years ago, but its time has passed.  The genie has been let out of the bottle and MQA is trying to put it back in.

The people that have experienced high quality music are not going to accept MQA.  The problem with that is that they are a smaller part of the market.

The cool thing about Dolby ATMOS is it offers something I can't get any other way.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

15 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

Since its inception MQA Ltd has lost somewhere in the order of thirty million pounds. While this may seem like small "seed" money to a multi billion investment firm, it is still big money to put out unless they expect substantial returns.

What leads them to expect the huge returns?

For them to expect substantial returns they would have to expect that MQA was going to become THE music distribution method.

For them to expect that MQA was going to become THE music distribution method, what promises have they extracted from the backing studios?

Have the studios promised MQA that they are going to force MQA on the music consumer?

Reminds me of the people saying, “I get MQA through Tidal so it’s free.” Think about that. A company is blowing tens of millions of dollars and some consumers still like to use the “it’s free” argument as if the chickens aren’t going to come home to roost some day soon. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, KeenObserver said:

And, I think the worst part is looking at that video of RMAF 2018 and thinking that these are the people that want to control the future distribution of music.

I wouldn’t want them washing my car. I can see it now, “that scratch was there before you came in” “you never said don’t use sandpaper” etc...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, David Wiblin said:

Ooo . . . I just know I'm setting myself up for a beat-down here but isn't that poster referring to the unpacked bit rate (9216) and not the MQA container transmission rate (of say 1200kbps)? 

Don’t worry about beat-downs from this crowd :~)

How can MQA be unpacked to 9216 kbps without 24 bits and 192 kHz worth of information? Remember, it’s lossy and can’t recover it all. 

3 minutes ago, David Wiblin said:

Oh, I was not aware MQA was limited to 17 bits and 96k?  I thought that only applied to non-MQA devices.

No, MQA removes data to decrease file size. The encoded file just tells the DAC to upsample the audio to 192 or whatever high rate was the original. No data is expanded or gotten back. Given that 99% of DACs upsample internally to much higher rates than that, it’s kind of comical. 

Two things from the Spotify announcement. One good, one equivocal. 

Equivocal - "Beginning later this year, Premium subscribers in select markets will be able to upgrade their sound quality to Spotify HiFi and listen to their favorite songs the way artists intended (emphasis mine)."

Good - "Spotify HiFi will deliver music in CD-quality(emphasis mine), lossless audio format to your device and Spotify Connect-enabled speakers, which means fans will be able to experience more depth and clarity while enjoying their favorite tracks."