IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, yahooboy said:

Not really, You've got to remember where ROON came from (Meridian) there might be very positive feelings toward the former employee

Meridian was just a stop between the founding of Sooloos and the start of Roon. 

Strange in that the MQA piece has nothing to do with Roon Radio. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, daverich4 said:

When I asked about it the response was pretty much Nothing To See Here...

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/station-in-live-radio-is-a-recording-instead-of-a-live-stream/86335

Wow. 

Also, one doesn't have to search for it to find it. I browsed the Roon live stations and found it. 

It's actually quite prominent. 

Live Radio > Music (the first category) > Avant-garde (also the first category within music) > and it's right there. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, yahooboy said:

Well they seem very defendant regarding MQA, had writings back and forth with them on several occasions.

They either don't understand MQA (highly unlikely) or they are so much in bed with MQA that they have to/or feel they have to market a scam (probably a part of the contract.)

They won't enable a sorting of MQA and non MQA files. They are deleting posts on their site that badmouths MQA, in general they do not like anyone questioning MQA

I certainly hear you about that stuff. 

I've tried to remove MQA material from my searches, but it's not possible.

It's possible to filter out MQA albums in one's library, but that's only after one's been infected :~)

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

The closer we get to producing music perfectly, the more there are people that want to sell us snake oil

I don’t believe there’s a correlation. 

2 hours ago, esldude said:

Just imagine we have a format known to be fully transparent and blameless under all possible conditions.  Imagine we had the gear to reproduce that with effective perfection for $100.  Imagine we had amplifiers that would do the same for $100.  All that is left is speakers/rooms/headphones as a differential in final sound quality.  Kills much of the industry unless that industry becomes one of the imagination.  There is some room for premium looks, UI etc.  

Now I wouldn't say we are at the point described above, but I think we are closer to it than the general idea pushed commercially in high end audio.  Where we are supposed to nervously figure out elaborate ways to connect two wires to something. Or try to lock music into a strange format with ephemeral advantages at best. 

1 hour ago, Archimago said:

Well said.

The idea that such blasphemous thoughts, that maybe inexpensive consumer level devices could be more than "good enough", potentially getting hold of a large percent of the audiophiles out there probably is the stuff of nightmares for some in the industry...

Very disturbing ideology indeed.

I believe you guys are looking through a narrow telescope focused on one aspect of the hobby. As you know, purchasing decisions for HiFi are just like those of all other consumer products. 

Look at cars. A Toyota Carolla is all anybody needs and is good enough. “Everybody” knows this, but luxury brands are doing just fine.

The top speed on MN highways is 70 mph. Yet, there’s a waiting list for cars that go 200 mph. 

25 minutes ago, crenca said:

I think there is a distinction that needs to be made between "High End" and "High Fidelity".  The former is the luxury market (encompassing the consumer & the suppliers) and the latter is what guys like esldude, Archimago, and myself are interested in.  No doubt for a host of reasons there is considerable overlap between these two, so much so that it at times is just about impossible to distinguish them.  Still, it's a crucial distinction.

I think Archi and esldude is on to something important:  We appear to be at the point, and probably have been for a while, that most in "the industry" are actually existentially threatened by High Fidelity, because they are so $dependant$ upon High End.  Stereophile, TAS, and many (most?) manufacturers are now really about High End, and (given the state of underlying audio tech) anti High Fidelity.

Certainly could be the case. 

26 minutes ago, Thuaveta said:

This related comment on ASR is intriguing. @The Computer Audiophile, my hunch would be that reaching out to whomever wrote it, and see if they'd be interested in expanding on it, might make for some really interesting reading.

It's tangentially related to what @crenca was saying, but some people might find this audioholics video of interest. There's a reminder of the Lexicon Oppo rebrand in there.

If anyone has an hour, can you watch the video and let us know if there are points of interest? Sounds interesting but I don’t have the time right now. 

13 minutes ago, Daccord said:

MQA is already taking steps to address this. I bought a 2.5GB download from 7digital two days ago and the transfer took 3 hours 8 minutes.

The cool thing about purchasing downloads is you only have to download it once and go through the pain once. With MQA you have to go through the pain every time when streaming. 

2 hours ago, esldude said:

or what if MQA were free. What if the company just said, "hey, we like music, we think it is important music is well presented, so we are open sourcing MQA for everyone to use freely.  Just so the world can benefit for our research."

They give up on profiting from it, and make it a gift to the world.  Then if no one wants it .............

I’m all for making money from one’s product but it should be commensurate with the product’s value to customers. In this case it’s near zero and I’m not sure which side of zero. 

And yes, what if it was free and nobody wanted it. Wouldn’t surprise me. 

2 hours ago, firedog said:

The latter thread isn't my cup of tea, but it is harmless: It's hobbyists discussing their tweaks to SQ on a hobbyist site. It has little/nothing to do with the "Old Guard" as it doesn't come from the ecosystem of the audio establishment. I don't think there is necessarily any connection/correlation between the participants in that thread and MQA boosters and fanboys in the press and on forums. 

+100