IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

22 minutes ago, Jim Austin said:

I'm reading about every third or fifth post now, but this one caught my eye. It's frustrating to repeat here what I've written elsewhere. The "stakes" are that if MQA (a proprietary technology) is widely adopted there's a risk that it will supplant nonproprietary technologies for all audio distribution--as I'm sure has been widely discussed here. This seems to be a talking point aimed at gaining record-company buy-in. I'm less worried about this than others are--if the payoff is high enough--incontrovertibly superior sound--then I personally would be willing to make the sacrifice, and I think a lot of other people are, too. But, as I've written, I consider that to be a not-insignificant cost. Before we substitute a non-proprietary technology with a proprietary technology, there's a high threshold: It has to be significantly better. If it's not, we shouldn't adopt it. 

This answers another, somewhat similar post: Because these stakes are high, MQA should not be anointed by me or any other reviewer. (No, I was not thinking of Moncrief.) Listening tests should be done. If a panel of expert listeners cannot hear the difference, MQA should not displace those nonproprietary technologies (PCM/FLAC). 

Yes, I have a stake--as an audiophile and music lover. So do you, and so do all the rest of us who enjoy listening to music in digital formats.

jca

And what pray-tell do these stakes have to do with a lowly reviewer?  Besides, it seems clear these stakes were not taken into consideration when Atkinson claimed 4 years BEFORE MQA was released and after just I think 1 maybe 2 short demo's that Atkinson's experience was the equivalent to observing the birth of new planets, "blew his socks off",  along with a few other seemingly off-the-cuff responses.  For all we know Atkinson was eating his favorite ice cream during those short MQA demos but at that time he obviously gave no hesitatation then to tell the world.  Wouldn't that have been the appropriate time to consider the full impact of MQA and what Atkinson experienced?  Are you implying that your editor-in-chief acted in a reckless and irresponsible manner 4 years ago? 

So clearly your editor-in-chief did not take any of this into consideration.  Why do you feel it's your responsibility to do so now, 4 years later?   IOW, here we are 4 years later and suddenly the responsibility and burden falls to you a reviewer to ensure everybody acts circumspectly pertaining to MQA's performance benefits?  Again, such responsbilities are outside the scope of a reviewer, for which tho art one.

Who assigned this responsibility to you that is clearly outside your scope as a product reviewer?

The more I dabble with extreme forms of electrical mgmt. and extreme forms of vibration mgmt., the more I’m convinced it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. Or was it all just variations of managing electrical energy? No, it’s all just variations of mechanical energy. Wait.  It's all just variations of managing electrical energy.  -Me

1 hour ago, shtf said:

To draw attention away from MQA's legitimacy that is.  A distraction if you will.

That's my impression as well.  Running interference.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, Jim Austin said:

if the payoff is high enough--incontrovertibly superior sound--then I personally would be willing to make the sacrifice, and I think a lot of other people are, too

I can't stop harping on the weirdness of you putting this crucial matter of MQA sound quality in the conditional tense.

"If"? If at this late date you of all people can't ante up and endorse MQA having "incontrovertibly superior sound," what's the point of fighting for it and about it? It's the ultimate factor that determines good faith in this whole stupendous debate. 

I see that the ancillary issues @crenca is mentioning are also important, but actually taking the "setting aside the unresolved question of MQA SQ" approach seems nuts to me. 

8 hours ago, mansr said:

Very well, let's suppose there is something that matters above 40 kHz. What does MQA do with it? Starting with a recording at 192 kHz or higher, some unknown processing is applied, then the signal is downsampled to 96 kHz using a rather weak anti-aliasing filter. We know this because looking at recordings with some distinct content above 48 kHz (and these are rare indeed), faint alias products are recognisable in the lower frequencies of the decoded MQA file. The attenuation appears to be around 50 dB, but this is a very rough estimate.

The 96 kHz signal then undergoes band splitting, the top half compressed and encoded into the low 8 bits of the final stream. This step actually seems to work quite well in that the decoded output is pretty close to the input, at least for typical music and within the target precision. However, as clever as it may be, this scheme is wholly unnecessary. Standard methods, such as FLAC, perform equally well. As Xivero have demonstrated, the efficiency of FLAC can be further improved by preprocessing the input to remove non-information-bearing noise in the lowest bits. Needless to say, this process is not entirely lossless with respect to the input, but then neither is MQA. The Xivero method is also superior in that the output is a fully compliant FLAC file playable on any existing device without firmware updates or additional software. Of course, there are no royalties for Bob either.

Then comes the so-called rendering stage. As revealed by my reverse engineering, this consists of nothing but textbook FIR upsampling followed by shaped dither, usually at 16 bits. That last part is especially interesting. The images of the low frequencies left by the leaky upsampling filters, which is where any useful content must reside, are to a large extent buried under random noise.

To recap, whatever smidgen of useful signal identified by MQA in the high frequencies has, by the time it reaches the DAC, been attenuated, aliased ("folded" in MQA newspeak) into the much stronger low frequencies, compressed, uncompressed, imaged ("unfolded") back to the high range along with the mirrored spectrum of the (still much stronger) low frequencies, and finally drowned in random dither noise. "Post-Shannon" or not, nothing can survive this mangling and still be recognisable, let alone useful. If I'm wrong, show me the maths.

You seem to be talking about something that isn't MQA.

3 hours ago, shtf said:

it seems clear these stakes were not taken into consideration when Atkinson claimed 4 years BEFORE MQA was released and after just I think 1 maybe 2 short demo's that Atkinson's experience was the equivalent to observing the birth of new planets, "blew his socks off",  along with a few other seemingly off-the-cuff responses. 

My news report on was written in December 2014, so that would make your estimate of the format's launch December 2018. Perhaps your math needs work? And what is wrong with my writing a news report on new technology?

As to the rest of your post, please read what I actually wrote back then, not your "Chinese Whispers" account:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ive-heard-future-streaming-meridians-mqa

Thank you for doing so. Note, BTW, the exchange between Archimago and myself in the comments, where I mention the DRM-like aspect of MQA, something that I have been accused on CA of ignoring.

John Atknson

Editor, Stereophile

33 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

My news report on was written in December 2014, so that would make your estimate of the format's launch December 2018. Perhaps your math needs work? And what is wrong with my writing a news report on new technology?

If you took a step back, wouldn't you feel like the editor in chief of a publication that pimped Shakti stones for years nitpicking over a bit of hyperbole, in the name of the accuracy of his own, since-disproven, hyperbole, is a bit rich ?

28 minutes ago, miguelito said:

But even SQ is not a slum dunk. Surely good remasters matter. Surely it might be the case that some ADCs need "fixing" (though I challenge you to prove any modern ones do). But even with all this, the SQ improvement is almost entirely always the result of remastering and eq, and that only for the very few albums that get the "white glove" treatment. I just don't see how this money grab can stand.

I was in my clumsy way trying to say this.  Grant MQA some percentage of inherent SQ gain, say a 20% improvement over equivalent Hi Res.  Is it worth The Sacrifice™ (I trademarked that for Jim A :D )? 

In reality, when you examine actual MQA you see that it is not getting anything near this, but you could be getting what you and Hugo9000 want to see (and JA for that matter in his original understanding of "end to end"), a bit of a better (sometimes) mastering/eq job.

So as the onion gets peeled, 20% becomes 10%, then 5%...   

Then the skepticism of The Trolls™ gets poked, and a stirring happens across Audiophiledom :D

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

28 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

Shouldn’t there be reports like this outside the pages of Stereophile and TAS by now? Instead, the unwashed masses are reporting that mqa sounds worse to about the same as Hi-res, a handful reporting that mqa sounds better on a few songs. 

Given the substantial downsides of mqa the sonics would have to be clearly worth it. The reality is it’s not even close. 

MQA has been totally ignored by every other sector as far as the press goes...exactly ONE article in Sound On Sound magazine, and spoon fed mentions of MQA by Stereophile in The New Yorker. Pro audio folks think it is an utter joke.

Stuart and the editors (and manufacturers) thought they could easily capitalize on audiophile's FOMA mentality, and their love of 3 letter acronyms and colored lights.  Did not quite work out as planned...although clearly the must gullible and weak minded did fall for it.

Stuart has promised phantom MQA "mastering tools" which are truly the definition of vaporware, with zero chance of ever appearing in any legitimate form.

10 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

MQA has been totally ignored by every other sector as far as the press goes...exactly ONE article in Sound On Sound magazine, and spoon fed mentions of MQA by Stereophile in The New Yorker. Pro audio folks think it is an utter joke.

Stuart and the editors (and manufacturers) thought they could easily capitalize on audiophile's FOMA mentality, and their love of 3 letter acronyms and colored lights.  Did not quite work out as planned...although clearly the must gullible and weak minded did fall for it.

Stuart has promised phantom MQA "mastering tools" which are truly the definition of vaporware, with zero chance of ever appearing in any legitimate form.

Why did you make up a fictional MQA comparison? Why not just perform a real comparison and post your observations?

25 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

and manufacturers)

I think many/most of these signed up fearing sales losses if their product lacked the blue light feature. I know i’ve read posts here or at audioasylum from folks claiming they would not consider a DAC without this feature. And who could blame them given the praise from RH and JA.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

8 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

I think many/most of these signed up fearing sales losses if their product lacked the blue light feature. I know i’ve read posts here or at audioasylum from folks claiming they would not consider a DAC without this feature. And who could blame them given the praise from RH and JA.

"...I know i’ve read posts here or at audioasylum from folks claiming they would not consider a DAC without this feature."

As I said, the weak minded, easy targets.