IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, crenca said:

Anyone notices the handful of album's on Tidal that are MQA only (no 16/44 version)?  The latest I have found is the new Charles Lloyd & the Marvels + Lucinda Williams album titled "Vanished Gardens" (Blue Note).

Also, with the latest update I have noticed that the Tidal desktop app won't let you see or otherwise get to 16/44 versions of albums that have an MQA version, this is so even when I change my highest playback level in settings down from "master" to "hi fi".  Anyone know of a way around this?

I noticed it with that album as well, so I opened Qobuz and got what I needed. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Hi Chris. Do you also affirm Sal's repeated "Shame on you John"? To me, this implies a moral judgement of J.A.'s behavior, which has to include a determination of JA's intent. This involves some mind reading that, in my view, several members have engaged in liberally when it comes to addressing JA. This strikes me as unhelpful, unwarranted, hostile, and inappropriate. In my opinion John's conscience  is better equipped to guide him in discerning an ethical issue here. Shaming him regarding this issue is not much better than stating that he is taking bribes from MQA without any factual information that indicates this. He has taken great pains to deny this several times.I'm not surprised that he would find some of the things said to and about him offensive.

Where do you stand on this? What do you see as your responsibility as moderator in this regard?

I’m not into shaming people for whatever that means. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, firedog said:

Since having the Kii Three that has excellent AD and DA conversion and that converts everything to PCM, and since experiencing using HQP - I've come to the conclusion that I couldn't care a whit about which digital format I listen to. They all can sound good, and with well done conversion, even DSD keeps some DSD like qualities when converted to PCM. I try to find the best version I can, ignore the format, and just listen. 

Agree.

1 hour ago, KeenObserver said:

My hope, for the sake of the music, is that the studios that are buying in to MQA are not archiving music as MQA masters. Hopefully they are archiving their music as high end digital masters.  When the next big " Wonder System" comes along, hopefully they will have archived masters that have not been damaged by MQA processing.

I would assume that the people that are running the studios are not stupid enough to archive music on a lossy system, but you never know.  A number of historical masters were destroyed in the past to make room in the vaults.

The studios have said MQA isn't an archival format.