IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 minute ago, Jim Austin said:

I have talked to several. Some do not want to go on the record. Others have signed noncompete agreements. Have you noticed that even on this forum most experts use pseudonyms? Doesn't make it impossible however, an it's a reasonable suggestion. 

Fine--good. Thanks for listening with your ears. 

Pseudonyms are used to protect privacy. Crazy people show up at places of business and call employers of people who’ve used real names. 

Pseudonyms are irrelevant when it comes to math. 2+2=4 for Jim Austin and BigBird. 

Mansr has frequently given his full name here on CA. Plus, I’m sure Bob has told you he has all the information about the MQA detractors (except archimago). Just ask Bob for some names and contact info b

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, Jim Austin said:

Do you think you can make a convincing case that this is true? It's a pretty serious accusation. Since some of this work has been published in scientific journals--I mean Bob Stuart's--you're accusing him of scientific misconduct, among other things. I'll point out again that his work has earned him distinction as a Fellow of the Audio Engineering Society. You are welcome to your opinion, but even without such distinction, there should be a high bar for that, IMO. 

The same AES who published Mayer & Moran and refused to publish articles showing the holes in the “research.”

Appealing to authority is a logical fallacy. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, Jim Austin said:

OK, I stand corrected. I don't know who you are, but you're clearly knowledgeable. I would not presume to label you as some sort of charlatan. 

Here’s a video of Mans from 2012. The internet is full of more. 

P.S. You should read the threads on CA where he schools Gordon Rankin about how Arm chips work. Good stuff. 

Just now, Jim Austin said:

This is what, when pugs box? 

This is why I use the "circle jerk" metaphor a couple of days ago. You have a nice little insular community here, in which you reliably reinforce each other's opinions. Feels good, doesn't it? 

You lack even a little understanding of this community. 

50 minutes ago, ddetaey said:

A last suggestion to Chris, as you have now the forum and the marketplace, why do you not offer a centralized support forum to the manufacturers and help them on their way to communicate effectively with their 'digital' customers.

Hi Dirk - This is something I've been talking to manufacturers about for a couple years. A couple big players have been close to jumping in with a support forum, but they decided against it at the last minute. I believe there is a ton of hesitation because of the unknown and the fact that this is a different world.

3 minutes ago, Confused said:

Well done MQA.  It’s not that unique though.  The BBC have been doing something similar for a while:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/taster/pilots/radio-3-concert-sound

I have tried this and can confirm that it works perfectly and sounds good.  Ok, the BBC’s version was “only” 16 / 48 versus MQA’s (claimed) 24bit, but I can confirm the sound quality from the BBC’s efforts were subjectively excellent.  Plus, no special DAC / streamer / encoder required.  The BBC’s efforts were basically a proof of concept and a beta trial.  24bit would be possible.

Standard FLAC compression would probably be just fine. I wonder how much content was captured up to 96 kHz that required the 192 sample rate for the MQA event.

I wonder where MQA would stand in the old guard press if it was introduced to HiFi by a no-name Chinese or Indian engineer. I know some brilliant savants form China and India who are fully capable of this type of DSP. 

Anyone venture a guess as to what the initial articles would have said in TAS or Stereophile?

7 minutes ago, Indydan said:

I might have missed them, but where are the TAS and Stereophile extremely positive articles about FLAC? When FLAC was released in 2001, it was, or should have been a big deal. Why didn't RH compare the creators of FLAC to Isaac Newton? 

Of course FLAC was and is free... Just like Newton's theory of gravitation! 

The old guard hadn't heard of FLAC until many years later.