IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

5 minutes ago, crenca said:

I work in the truth and reality department

Whaddaya think about climate change?  :) 

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

18 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

But I'm as skeptical of those who are certain that MQA degrades Redbook sound

Miska and mansr have provided good technical information that I would say bolsters the idea that MQA doesn't *improve* sound, and lets through ultrasonic distortion that might conceivably result in some degradation.  I believe @mansr at least may have said the differences between MQA and non-MQA might not be audible, but he can speak for himself.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 minutes ago, mansr said:

Where people hear a difference it is more likely due to whatever secret processing MQA does before the compression stage.

For me this is an important point to remember.  I *have* heard MQA sound better, but it was with masters that were obviously different (for example, instruments in different locations).

1 hour ago, randyhat said:

How else do you evaluate a sound system other than by how it sounds?

You can use sound, measurements, or both.  Some things listening may be better for (the ear/brain is great at matching patterns, so if you go to a lot of concerts, maybe there's something in a violin or piano sounding "right" to you).  Some things measurement is better for (e.g., relatively low levels of jitter, IMD, etc., that you might be able to hear and might not).  So I make use of both if I have pertinent measurements.

45 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

I think there is value in the apodizing aspects though.

@Miska or @mansr: As leaky as the MQA filters are, I wouldn’t think of them as apodizing. Are they?

Would the fact the filters are so short have some effect similar to an apodizing filter?

6 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

Whatever happened to Andersen?

They were unlucky enough to have a team assigned to Enron, the scam energy company, and further unlucky enough that those in charge of the team thought they ought to protect the scammers rather than perform a true audit.

As is usual with these things, since Andersen was a prime source of money for those defrauded by Enron with the help of Andersen accountants, the entire 80,000-person firm was way downsized, and changed from primarily an accounting firm to a consultancy.  (My brother worked for a subsidiary as a retail consultant, but lost his job in the downsizing.)

5 minutes ago, randyhat said:

Now, if I have to jump through too many hoops or pay extra

That of course is the entire idea behind a proprietary format with potential for DRM like MQA: If we reach the point where other companies do what Tidal and 2L have already done, then they control your access to music, including your continued access to music you already “own.” They can charge you whatever you’ll pay not to have your music shut off like a faucet. And you better hope MQA never goes out of business, or is abandoned by the music companies for something they like better.

2 hours ago, mcgillroy said:

Who is it that these guys show up reliably a few weeks after the last one fizzled out?

Paul’s been here since long before you found this place. He was inactive on the forums for a while and is just getting back to them.

5 minutes ago, mansr said:

Is he still in business?

Heh, no.  :)  He and most other audio-only dealers got killed off by the audio-video stores. He wasn’t interested in video.

Edit: This was also 25-30 years ago.

45 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

Hi Jud, sounds like Jack at Chestnut Hill Audio. I still have the stuff he sold me. It still sounds great.

Got it in one!

Edit: I have the original amp I bought from him (after speaking with Richard Vandersteen about it) in my desktop system; the preamp I bought as an upgrade from him in the main system; and speakers I bought from him privately in the main system.

He had Philadelphia Orchestra season tickets. I went along with him a few times.

55 minutes ago, Thuaveta said:

There's a scarier question here: "what does it say of Tidal / Qobuz if their UI is so bad that customers have to pay an extra $10 a month to have something workable ?"

Tidal and Qobuz' UIs are reasonable.  Roon is a luxury UI, where you can, for instance, bring up all the albums in Tidal or Qobuz that have a certain bass player or session guitarist on them.