IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

Just like MQA claims? Sounds familiar? ;)

In practice the HDCD makes you lose one or two of the precious 16 bits of RedBook, standard players will clip the peaks harder due to the way it is encoded and instead of proper dither the LSB is not working the way it should (very important for CD too) causing more loss of precision. As result HDCD is not properly dithered.

Sony's SBM which was earlier developments of noise shaped dither for CD use was better approach and didn't need any special playback hardware or "decoding".

Excellent reply Miska. Thanks for the information.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

57 minutes ago, Melvin said:

Mr. Lucey's banning is the most disappointing turn of events I've seen on CA in quite some time. Chris obviously has his standards but this dude has serious credentials. Another one gone ...

Your disappointment should be directed at him. Many people tried to encourage civil discussions with him, but he refused. 

No matter one’s credentials, one can’t treat people like dirt and get away with it. 

With respect to credentials, I’m guessing you’re referring to the number of albums he has mastered? 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, Traildog said:

He was calling the people who were calling him names idiots and fools. I suggest that calling someone a whore is several steps worse than calling someone a fool.

But anyway, it's your show and you can do what you like. But I really feel he's been unfairly treated on this thread and I'm surprised he stayed around. 

Please show me the post calling him a whore and I will happily enforce the same standards. 

16 minutes ago, esldude said:

Here is the post where the term was used.  I will point out I tried in several posts to create a bridge of conversation with BL.  He obviously has zero interest in that.  The whore comment wasn't so much to say he was one.  But to point out if one wanted to to pre-judge someone, there were plenty of ways to pre-judge his activities in negative light.  The very ways he thought gave him credibility.  That he had so many clients we should all quit complaining and listen to the wise Brian Lucey mastering genius extraordinaire. In context of a few posts between he and I it was meant to try one more time to get his attention as being subtle wasn't working.  Reading back over it I think that context wasn't very clear. 

If Chris thinks that should result in a ban, then okay. 

I'll use the same rules with you as I did Brian. 

This is a warning.

P.S. I always give people warnings and hope to come out with a win-win in the long run. I don't need to tell you about personal attacks and I totally understand your context. With Brian things were much different, but the same rules applied. He received warnings. Hell, I even offered to meet with him next week while I'm in Los Angeles. 

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

One post questioned whether we could believe anything Lucey said given that his masterings were, in the opinion of the poster, overly compressed.

One post. Big deal. Plus, questioning someone isn’t a bad thing. People in this thread are questioning Bob Stuart and MQA. Are you upset with this?

7 hours ago, 4est said:

Yes, but it you are cherry picking two of the most knowledgeable posters on this site. There are many others here that just froth at the mouth. IIRC, people were all over him about DR when he repeatedly stated it was not his decision. Sure his answers were rough, but what do you expect him to do- spend hours attempting to defend his livelihood to a bunch of hobbyists while alienating his clientele? I felt for him. I work in the custom home industry, and I'd hate to have to defend myself for the products that I make. Like him, I am just a cog in the wheel controlled by others.

I don't follow this argument. It only takes a person or two to make "experts" uninterested in posting. This is why I said these people aren't interested in posting where they will be questioned. 

What do I expect of people? I expect a reasonable amount of respect. 

BL simultaneously wanted everyone to believe he was integral to his client's work while at the same time he was only a cog in the wheel who had no decision making power (thus, not responsibility to low DR). You can't have it both ways. My guess is the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Again, he had a built-in audience of people who wished him well, wanted to support his arguments, and agreed with him. He managed to turn that around pretty quickly. 

5 minutes ago, Fair Hedon said:

No, sorry, if was more than a "couple" of people.

Secondly, you might find this amusing, but my quote about not being nice actually pertained to the rise of Trump, not about this board, which could have been prevented if the press and the opposition was not so "nice". :D

Although you could also apply it to the rise of MQA in general. Way too many gave it a pass...just my opinion.

I couldn't disagree more. But, I could really derail this thread.

Niceness has zero to do with this. Who are you more likely to give a break, more likely to talk to, more likely to work with, a nice person or a jerk? 

All BL had to do was be reasonably nice. I'll stop here with the BL talk. He cemented his reputation by himself all over here.