IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

2 hours ago, witchdoctor said:

The big day is Saturday, "Immersive Audio Super Saturday". Two channel technology is ancient and delapidated beyond all hope. Why do you think a show like RMAF has so many $50K+ systems on display? Because they are NECESSARY to get a decent result using 2 channel. Immersive audio is the witchdoctor's preferred sound reproduction system. Auro 3D and Ambeo are great for movies and music while atmos is more for movies. I think two channel is fine for the nearfield but a tinker toy for a main listening room compared to 10.1 auro 3D or ambeo. Bob Moses the AES Executive Director states 3D audio IS state of the art, and that's how the witchdoctor rolls. They are using a 9.1 system for the demos which will rock your world. They are using PMC active speakers for the demo. Witchdoctor studios uses 10.1 and can do 14.1 with DSP and active speakers as well. BTW, whether you use 2 speakers or 14 MQA blows away redbook in both setups, just saying.

http://www.aes.org/blog/2017/10/youre-surrounded-aes-new-york-2017s

Yes, I agree that multichannel surround is better and my personal preferred listening method only if it was done well - so many multichannel mixes are done poorly.

Not sure why I'd want MQA still though...

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

3 hours ago, witchdoctor said:

Well if you are THAT interested here are links to the MQA related presentations. I can't send you the papers themselves but you can access them one of two ways. By joining the AES or by purchasing the paper as a non member.The papers have already been uploaded and are available. I recommend this one since the malcontents here seem obsessed with this topic. This study includes both objective data and subjective blind listening tests:

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=19340

Perceived Differences in Timbre, Clarity, and Depth in Audio Files Treated with MQA Encoding vs. Their Unprocessed State

The purpose of this engineering brief is to detail a planned experiment in examining any perceived differences in timbre, clarity, and depth between WAV and Master Quality Authenticated (MQA) audio files. A study proposes examining the responses of engineers, musicians, and casual listeners on whether any changes to timbre, clarity, and depth are perceived between WAV and MQA. A blind listening test is considered in a controlled environment using both professional and consumer level loudspeakers and headphones. Additional interests include a comparison of responses between the target groups on different listening mediums.

The abstract only talks about a "planned experiment" - did they actually do it with a paper showing the results?

This will be interesting...

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

16 minutes ago, mansr said:

They are both competent at their main jobs, AFAICT. I just don't trust them not to be influenced by monetary factors in situations like this.

Yeah. Every man has his price, I suppose...

Hopefully this and some of other AES talks get recorded and posted at some point.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, crenca said:

1)  Will Austin actually talk about facts as opposed to his own subjective impressions?

A:  Only the "facts" of so much of audiophiledom, the assertions of this or that product/company.  For example he will use terms like "Hi Res" without any definition, not bothering to explain that MQA is in fact a lossy facsimile of actual Hi Res PCM.  Bit depth will be something "perceived", and math will have nothing to do with it.

2)  Will he just call up a bunch of people to interview as if having a bunch of voices on the "pro" side carries much weight in the face of objective analysis?

A:  Yes, but he will also glue bits and pieces of these interviews together in what appears to be a coherent and believable story of MQA.  He is a storyteller first and foremost, and has to tow the line of his pro-MQA, anti consumer publication

3) Will he bother presenting the opinions of those who voice objections against MQA?

A:  Yes, in a negative light and then he will repeat the unverifiable marketing verbiage of MQA.  What else can he do?  How MQA really works is behind the black box of IP/DRM.

4)Will he/Stereophile create their own diagrams and illustrations independently or run images and ideas fed to them by MQA Ltd. / Bob Stuart?

A:  No, only MQA supplied information of any kind.  What other kind of information is there besides pro-consumer based reverse engineering? As a likely NDA signor (and certainly working for those who are) he is not even allowed to do otherwise.

5)Will they actually bother to do their own blind testing with some kind of controls?

A:  No

Okay Crenca,

The bets are down. Let's see if this is exactly what the article series ends up looking like :D.

Semente: Yup. Someone's getting paid...

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, Indydan said:

He's waiting for Bob Stuart to provide him with more persuasive talking points...

And busy duking it out on Steve Hoffman's forum...

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/my-new-article-series-on-mqa.723574/page-26

9 hours ago, FredericV said:

Scoggie busted once again, using EXTERNAL AUTHORITY argument:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/my-new-article-series-on-mqa.723574/page-26#post-17937777

Yes the intermediate phase filter as described by Archimago is technically better than the minimum phase filters MQA is using:

image.thumb.png.a10df9781b7848ac8c03475e1c53d4d6.png

Minimum phase messes up the phase, and soundstage suffers from this. To get the time domain precision of MQA, you'll need a variant with one cycle of postringing. To accomplish this, we need to allow aliasing in the filter.

It's clear that Scoggie is a cheerleader for MQA, just like Peter Veth. They all use the same arguments. They never reply to technical arguments, change the discussion using the GO LISTEN or EXTERNAL AUTHORITY argument.

Just as a point of clarification. Remember that the MQA filter is extremely weak. As a result if we plot it out like in the graphs above, it will actually not "smear" the waveform visually as obviously as that minimum phase 95% pass setting I used above (which is a proper strong antialiasing filter). In any event, the general concept that linear phase filtering will not cause phase shift compared to minimum phase filters remains...

36 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Very interesting that Hoffman himself (no doubt receiving a TON of PMs from Scoggins) made a statement that's basically ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And having spent years reading the forums over there, I can say with confidence that once you've lost Metralla (one of the original forum members from 2002), you're done.  And it sure looks like even he is not impressed with Scoggins' MQA lovefest.

Scoggins has gone so far to suggest that cable skeptics are not qualified to evaluate MQA because, well, if they can't hear the increase in sound quality that happens when high end interconnects or power cables are used, they certainly won't hear the awesome benefits of MQA.

I really don't think Scoggins was expecting this level of push back on what he considered a "friendly" forum (Hoffman).  And the fact that all those critical posts about MQA are still there and threads are not locked or vanished tells me that Hoffman has decided to let MQA face withering fire.

Good point Samuel,

I was wondering why Hoffman would come out and make a comment since he's typically in the background. Probably a fair bet that Scoggins or someone of the same mindset clicked on the "Report" link to some of the comments more than a few times :-).

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’m sure people will take the bait and comment up a storm. 

I'm sure that thought has crossed many minds. Just sayin'.

Oh yeah... Plus the fact that he banned so many people from posting comments. Imagine if he could have had hundreds of responses to a post like that and the thousands of eyeballs adding to the discussion. Alas, opportunity lost... Such is the price of monetization through pure advertising.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2018-04-03 at 3:51 AM, mevdinc said:

Here's a review of the Meridian Ultra DAC.
It seems the article talks more about the MQA format than the DAC itself.

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/meridian-audio-ultra-dac-digital-converter/?page=3

Yup. Might have missed it but I don't think real hi-res 24/96+ files were even played/tested in the review! And I gather Meridian doesn't do DSD either.

BTW guys, what's the relationship between Hi-Fi+ and TAS?

• 4 weeks later...