IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

3 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Cornan

I wasn't suggesting that the bridged fuse be left there permanently, just used for comparison purposes.

Fuses don't have magical properties, but depending on the types  of metals used, and the rating of the fuse, they do have resistance which will vary according to the type of fuse and it's rating. Some amplifiers are unduly sensitive to any series resistance in their PSU supply leads, which does of course include the fuse holder itself, and the type of metal used there too.

If you are going to use premium fuses then perhaps you should also use gold plated fuse holders for lower contact resistance ?

Alex

Interestingly I was told yesterday that plating can actually be a potential issue due to a diode effect at the interface.  Not sure how valid the concern but, if supported, almost every connection in our system is somewhat problematic!

3 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

Interestingly I was told yesterday that plating can actually be a potential issue due to a diode effect at the interface.  Not sure how valid the concern but, if supported, almost every connection in our system is somewhat problematic!

The cheap metals used in many fuse holders can oxidise, and the business ends of the fuses themselves go dull looking over a period of time. This could result in a small diode effect. Many high quality plugs and sockets are gold plated and appear to be more reliable . Banana plugs used for speaker connection are normally gold plated too.

Attached is a note from Silicon Chip magazine during the testing of their 15W Class A Amplifier design.

Speaker Plugs and Sockets.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Cornan

I wasn't suggesting that the bridged fuse be left there permanently, just used for comparison purposes.

Fuses don't have magical properties, but depending on the types  of metals used, and the rating of the fuse, they do have resistance which will vary according to the type of fuse and it's rating. Some amplifiers are unduly sensitive to any series resistance in their PSU supply leads, which does of course include the fuse holder itself, and the type of metal used there too.

If you are going to use premium fuses then perhaps you should also use gold plated fuse holders for lower contact resistance ?

Sometimes, just removing the fuse, and cleaning it's contact area with the fuse holder , as well as cleaning the fuse holder contact area with Isopropyl alcohol, and making sure the fuse holder has good tension may also make an improvement in SQ.

Alex

Fair enough Alex! I use AHP gold fuses on several spots with brand new devices and they have improved everywhere that I have tried them. However, the best spot I have ever experienced a fuse replacement was with my "vintage" AVM Evolution A1 integrated amp. The sonic improvement there just blew me away. I'll guess the fuse holder as old as well, but I always use DeoxIt on all my fuses and fuse holder contact surfaces.

It reminds me of my tube days though. Replacing the valve sockets to new ceramic and golplated ones was a surpricing improvement with my Siemens E88CC gold-pin NOS tubes (with Duende Criatura tube rings) on my Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 with Rock-Grotto mod. Everything matters! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

6 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Replacing the valve sockets to new ceramic and golplated ones was a surpricing improvement with my Siemens E88CC gold-pin NOS tubes (with Duende Criatura tube rings) on my Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 with Rock-Grotto mod. Everything matters! ?

Rock Grotto  mod ?

Yes, Mike Grierson knew his Musical Fidelity X-can stuff. Perhaps you even saw a gain modification there too that I posted ?

I was an Admin there for several years until I could no longer work with Mike because of his rapid descent into alcoholism.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

10 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Rock Grotto  mod ?

Yes, Mike Grierson knew his Musical Fidelity X-can stuff. Perhaps you even saw a gain modification there too that I posted ?

I was an Admin there for several years until I could no longer work with Mike because of his rapid descent into alcoholism.

Yes, I did his mod on my X-10D tube buffer as well. I was'nt active online back then, so I am sorry that I missed your post at the Rock Grotto forum. I did'nt know he had such problems. Sorry to hear, since his mods (and Trends Audio TA-10.1 & 10.2) was one of the main reasons I got hooked to this hobby! ? 

🎛️  Audio System  

22 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Two identical servers where one was the core and the other the endpoint?  If that's what you're asking, no.  I wouldn't invest in duplicate hardware to test that.  I did test a server (without modifications, tX-USBexp, sCLK-EX, tX-USBultra) and endpoint (microRendu & sMS-200) against the same exact one (with modifications, tX-USBexp, sCLK-EX, tX-USBultra) but without endpoint and it was without a doubt, no question a significant improvement in SQ.  I still have the sMS-200 and adding it instead of the USB output, but still gaining the sCLK-EX utilization on the motherboard system and NIC clocks does not sound as good as with the tX-USBexp and tX-USBultra.

With so many variables and possible combinations it tough to test them all.

Which modifications is it ? 

The server clocks driven by the sCLK ex ?

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

21 hours ago, Dev said:

Anybody getting the Supermicro (one used in the Zenith) mobo modded from Sotm yet ?

I should have that in a few weeks !

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

1 minute ago, Johnseye said:

Yes.  System and LAN clocks driven by the sCLK-EX.  Also, tX-USBexp clock driven by the sCLK-EX.

are you using the network during playback, like streaming or using NAS ? if not, how does the LAN clock mod help ?

1 hour ago, Dev said:

are you using the network during playback, like streaming or using NAS ? if not, how does the LAN clock mod help ?

The music sources come from both my NAS and Tidal, through the NICs.  It's SOtM's opinion that all the clocks have an influence.  I don't know the logic behind this.  I didn't bother with the USB clocks because I'm not using them.  Since the music passes through the NICs I thought that worth while.  To do it for the motherboard USB clocks I'd need to buy another sCLK-EX and I don't think that's worth it, not to mention I'd need a place to house another one.

2 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

Which modifications is it ? 

The server clocks driven by the sCLK ex ?

Hi Johnseye,

Could you clarify further as my English is not that good? You said you tested server with endpoint and without one, then which setup you think improved significantly? From your no doubt statement I can't figure out which one you are referring to. 

3 minutes ago, lateboomer said:

Hi Johnseye,

Could you clarify further as my English is not that good? You said you tested server with endpoint and without one, then which setup you think improved significantly? From your no doubt statement I can't figure out which one you are referring to. 

Without endpoint.  Using the sCLK-EX taps for my motherboard, tX-USBexp and tx-USBultra for a direct USB connection was better.

1 hour ago, hurka said:

what do you think about iso R and singxer F1  clock with sclk ex board? I cant clock my sparky sbc  this time. 

I don't know as I've never tried them with the sCLK-EX.  I did have an iso Regen but it didn't play well with my other equipment.  For the times I got it to work I liked what I heard, but that was before the sCLK.

3 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

I don't know as I've never tried them with the sCLK-EX.  I did have an iso Regen but it didn't play well with my other equipment.  For the times I got it to work I liked what I heard, but that was before the sCLK.

Thanks!

my theory , if clocked IR can leave usb ultra usb port(not sure),reduce spaghetti.

I can clocked my atx mobo soon,upgrade kit (adapter cables for flashing,plugs)delayed because Chinese new year.

I hope you are right,clocked mobo direct to singxer would be much simple solution.

Hi all.

Been following this discussion with great pleasure as i'm thinking going down this route as well,with the sclk-ex,did anybody of you modify the clocks on a supermicro x10slh-fo mbl?Just wondering about the frequencies i need for the system clock and the ethernet clock so i can go ahead and order the sclk.

Kindly/Ingemar

There are at least 2 revisions for Supermicro X10SLH-F so far.

For Rev. 1.00 - I could count 6 clocks

Vw6Wd4n.jpg

For Rev. 1.02 - I could count 7 clocks

1AfBKT9.jpg

If you could take 6 / 7 closeup pictures of each and every clock, sometimes we could figure out what the frequency is.

Otherwise, just contact SOtM directly and ask them how to get the numbers they're looking for. Each sCLK-EX could only provide up to 4 taps and therefore you've gotta tell them what clock(s) you don't really need to replace.

Some clocks (e.g. Ethernet) should have identical frequency AND voltage, that's why both of them could be connected to the same tap simultaneously.

2 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

Have you guys seen this- SOTM have released their new Master clock. It will be available for shipping from 19th February just after Lunar holiday and pre order 12th February.

There's a promotional price of  $3500 with sPS500 and $500 for the cable, for the first 100 units.

Press Release_SOtM_sCLK-OCX10.pdf

I started a thread with a question for May.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/38464-sotm-sclk-ocx10/?tab=comments#comment-777256

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

There are at least 2 revisions for Supermicro X10SLH-F so far.

For Rev. 1.00 - I could count 6 clocks

Vw6Wd4n.jpg

For Rev. 1.02 - I could count 7 clocks

1AfBKT9.jpg

If you could take 6 / 7 closeup pictures of each and every clock, sometimes we could figure out what the frequency is.

Otherwise, just contact SOtM directly and ask them how to get the numbers they're looking for. Each sCLK-EX could only provide up to 4 taps and therefore you've gotta tell them what clock(s) you don't really need to replace.

Some clocks (e.g. Ethernet) should have identical frequency AND voltage, that's why both of them could be connected to the same tap simultaneously.

Ok,thank you!!

They're picking that 5.5 / 2.1mm DC jack for such a premium product, granted the space seemed to be a constraint but most likely they could still go for the same Hirose connector that's found on their sPS-500

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?page=97&tab=comments#comment-675776

On 6/17/2017 at 5:01 AM, romaz said:

The problem is with the 2.1mm or 2.5mm DC plugs.  These are not low impedance plugs.  It would be ideal if you could apply the XL connector to your music server and your endpoints and I have thought about this but the XL connector is also very large and heavy.  There's no way, for example, to use this connector with something small like the microRendu.

They used to have three configurations listed on their Korean / American sites

http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sclk-ocx10/

https://sotm-usa.com/products/sclk-ocx10

However, we could find the following paragraph on Aussie ones right now

https://cruxaudio.com.au/products/sclk-ocx10-reference-master-clock

http://www.krispyaudio.com.au/products/SOtM-sCLK%2dOCX10-Reference-Master-Clock.html

You can choose Standard, Advanced or Reference for the 10MHz clock, and the output signal can be set as 50ohm or 75ohm sine wave.

In other words, only the best "Reference" (i.e. the most expensive one) option is available, oh well.

I'm still getting my head around fuses with beeswax in them, this hobby reaches a new low... Putting something flammable in a safety device that generates heat!!! They should be banned... Audiophile fuses in general are just a step to far but the Audio Magic fuses just take it to a new low.