IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

4 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

Does it sound like what we've been discussing on this thread or what?

http://thelinearsolution.com/one_server.html

Has it got a clock input??

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

12 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

Does it sound like what we've been discussing on this thread or what?

''We are limited to the introductory production for only 25 units world wide''

Wonder where they got that idea from - but it looks very interesting, any idea of price?

9 minutes ago, manishex said:

So enable HPET with AO is recommended? 

And disabled in the bios 

Nope disabling it in the BIOS was my suggestion but I don't use AO, you're probably best off following AO's recommendations or experiment with those settings.

17 minutes ago, Confused said:

Has it got a clock input??

Actually they should be trying to avoid the degradation of the connection between music server and external clock, IMHO that's exactly why they're kinda making fun of SOtM etc. with the very first sentence quoted above.

In other words, it could very well be a proof of concept that direct connection to the motherboard itself (i.e. without cheap 50Ω cables that are terminated with tiny little U.FL connectors) is cheaper and yet potentially superior to all that Pasta Parade IMHO. Keeping the distance between the clock(s) and the associated components to a minimum so that degradation should help to solve the traveling salesperson problem.

Sorry to take things back to basics, but I’m looking for some advice.  I read some of this thread, and was interested in seeing how I might improve the quality of my streaming.  I have a purpose built computer that I put together some time ago for using with Roon and HQ Player.  It’s used for music and nothing else.  So, Roon core is installed along with HQ Player and my music files reside in my Synology NAS.

The computer has a fiber NIC connected to a fiber switch, as is my NAS and my wireless router.  From the switch, the connections to the NAS and the router are via FMC’s.  From the router I’m streaming to an Auralic Altair in a downstairs room, and from there to my amp and speakers.  Is it worth my while to add a second (Ethernet) NIC to the PC and direct connect the PC to the Auralic, or is there more to be gained elsewhere?  I know the Auralic isn’t the greatest, but it’s very good what it is, I think ?

Thanks

Colin

Price is/was $8900 and a special discount for first buyers. 

Some facts on the Kalpa-One (assuming they haven't changed since going into production) I learnt from Adrian a month ago. I ended up with a Pink Faun 2.16x and plan to share my experience with it here eventually. Especially in comparison with my existing tricked out Trifecta system. 

1. One box solution to avoid additional EMI/RFI pickup from external cabling.
2. True 8-9 Rails True Linear Power Supply
3. Mundorf M-Cap through out (for initial batch)
4. 3 OCXO Module onboard (LAN, USB, board)
5. EMI/RFI Treatment
6. Isolation Feet
7. Proprietary OS with super low latency for Roon Core, HQPlayer, MPD
8. Custom on demand storage (up to 8T SSD)
9. Limited production
10. J1900 from SuperMicro Board
11. size at 430x335x90
12. They will build their own diodes

1 hour ago, Bricki said:

@lmitcheThank you so much for the JSSG 360 tweak! I have just finished it on my curious cable and my initial impressions are "wow, so that's what it's supposed to sound like" ?

IMAG0240.thumb.jpg.20cebe3253e6110a02cfe0fa9553111a.jpg

How is the tweak done? A tinned copper sleeve taped on? What parts did you connect the sleeve to, is it preferred to the previous circling the wire around method? 

2 hours ago, Bricki said:

@lmitcheThank you so much for the JSSG 360 tweak! I have just finished it on my curious cable and my initial impressions are "wow, so that's what it's supposed to sound like" ?

IMAG0240.thumb.jpg.20cebe3253e6110a02cfe0fa9553111a.jpg

Bricki, you are welcome! Your picture and written response suggest you've done it correctly. The SQ impact is quite surprising huh?

For others, the trick is to avoid electrical contact with any connectors at the endpoints where the tinned copper layers are connected.

The simple, passive nature of Jssg 360 and it's outsized contribution to SQ makes it the weirdest tweak ever. Even stranger, it works with any type of cable: USB, network and DC.  Thanks again to John Swenson for the idea.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

48 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Bricki, you are welcome! Your picture and written response suggest you've done it correctly. The SQ impact is quite surprising huh?

For others, the trick is to avoid electrical contact with any connectors at the endpoints where the tinned copper layers are connected.

The simple, passive nature of Jssg 360 and it's outsized contribution to SQ makes it the weirdest tweak ever. Even stranger, it works with any type of cable: USB, network and DC.  Thanks again to John Swenson for the idea.

Indeed the SQ impact is surprising and exceeded my expectations... I can highly recommend it for anyone questioning whether or not to give it a go ?

I have only listened for a few hours but everything sounds richer with more decay - everything sounds more natural. 

1 hour ago, manishex said:

How is the tweak done? A tinned copper sleeve taped on? What parts did you connect the sleeve to, is it preferred to the previous circling the wire around method? 

I will post some more photos that might help you understand 

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Thank you so much for the pictures

Bear with me I just want to get it right. So the cable in question is:

1. The standard, cable  looped good old JSSG we all know

2. With an outside braided tin copper sleeve which doesn't make contact with anything except the insulation material of the outside of the cable and it is not connected, NOR LOOPED to another braided second tin copper sleeve isolated from the 1st one.

So just a shielded cable with a tin copper sleeve NOT CONNECTED TO ANYTHING

3 minutes ago, Bricki said:

No worries 

It's 2 layers of braided tinned copper that make contact at each end and in between the two layers is some form of insulation - I used heat shrink. 

Just to be clear, the cable is not modified but rather just wrapped up in the "JSSG 360 sleeve"

Perfect thank you

2 hours ago, Bricki said:

IMAG0237.thumb.jpg.90afacc4776b8b31937b5976fdd352c3.jpgIMAG0238.thumb.jpg.296c613ee397a0776bf91dba75be9f99.jpgIMAG0239.thumb.jpg.1119afc423c571fae2127681674cd5ba.jpg

1 hour ago, luisma said:

Thank you so much for the pictures

Bear with me I just want to get it right. So the cable in question is:

1. The standard, cable  looped good old JSSG we all know

2. With an outside braided tin copper sleeve which doesn't make contact with anything except the insulation material of the outside of the cable and it is not connected, NOR LOOPED to another braided second tin copper sleeve isolated from the 1st one.

So just a shielded cable with a tin copper sleeve NOT CONNECTED TO ANYTHING

1 hour ago, Bricki said:

No worries 

It's 2 layers of braided tinned copper that make contact at each end and in between the two layers is some form of insulation - I used heat shrink. 

Just to be clear, the cable is not modified but rather just wrapped up in the "JSSG 360 sleeve"

Thank you for the pictures.

My understanding is how Bricki described.  No contact with the metal adapters, each tinned sleeve has contact at the ends.  Insulation between.

Bricki, did you insulate the external Curious wire from the tinned sleeve or does it have contact with it?

Did you solder the ends of the sleeves together?

Does it bend at all?