IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

29 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I'll wait for you to report on your results.  ;)

*LOL* You will not have to wait too long! ? I have kitchen aluminium foil in the drawer to make a quick trial. I will wrap it up as (all four Gophert csp-3205IIs) as soon as I have moved to my new place on Friday. Could be done by the weekend if the internet service provider does'nt pull any tricks on me! ? 

🎛️  Audio System  

3 minutes ago, d_elm said:

The shield goes on top of the existing cable, is not connected to anything, and solder an insulated wire, around 20 AWG or thicker, at each end one or two spirals down the outside of the shield.  Then add a sleeve on top of the shield.  Ends of shield and slieve are secured with heat shrink.  1/2" braid and shield can be installed over an ethernet connector.  If one connector is not installed 1/4" braid and sleeve can probably be used.

DSCF5026.jpg

DSCF5030.jpg

DSCF5031.jpg

DSCF5032.jpg

That is worth 1000 words.  Thank you!

Where did you get your braid?

FYI - here's an interesting DAC option that might be able to take advantage of sCLK-EX without any modifications

http://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/chord-qutest-has-landed.211981/#post-3315531

I have a couple of DIY dacs including Soekris 1121 and a new dac built around the Twisted Pear Buffalo 9038Pro module. The Qutest outperforms the Soekris (as did the Hugo2, not surprisingly) a little - more insightful, details more accurately revealed - but not by a big margin and the dutch ladder dac sounds nice and musical. I could listen to either all day. The Sabre9038 dac on the other hand is a clear step above the Qutest - greater microdynamic differentation, better sense of space, broader palette of tonal colours, details even more openly revealed. And all this with redbook source files played from a simple linux installation over a 3 quid usb cable. 

Lots of discussions here

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/313476-introducing-buffalo-iii-se-pro-9028-9038-a.html

Building a Buffalo IIIse/Sonore USB/Tube Output DAC

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/22352-building-a-buffalo-iiisesonore-usbtube-output-dac/

Beginner Build of Buffalo III DAC

http://diyah.boards.net/thread/839/beginner-build-buffalo-iii-dac

First Build - Buffalo III DAC - Are these components everything I will need?

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/forum/posts/t3970-First-Build---Buffalo-III-DAC

TP Audio Buffalo III DAC

http://www.dimdim.gr/diyaudio/tp-audio-buffalo-iii-dac/

The clock is a top of the line Crystek CCHD-950-25 running at 100MHz.

Buffalo-IIIsePro38 2-Channel DAC Module (No Tridents/AVCC) = $319

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/buffalosep.aspx

The Mercury Balanced I/V Stage = $169

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/linestages/mercury.aspx

Buffalo III/IIISE DAC Integration Guide Revision 2.1.3

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/docs/community_docs/leonvb-Buffalo_III_DAC_Integration_Guide_V2.1.3.pdf

Buffalo-IIIsePro Manual

https://twistedpearaudio.github.io/blog/docs_b3sepro/manual.html

• VDD: ~1.2 - 1.3V ~220ma Note - nominally this is 1.2V but ESS sent a design notice that it should actually be above 1.25V ‘ and no more than 1.5V when operating with sample rate above 192Khz or DSD128 with the ES9038
  • DVCC: 3.3V ~10ma
  • AVCCL: 3.3V-4V ~100ma
  • AVCCR: 3.3V-4V ~100ma
  • VDD_XO: 3.3V ~ 25ma

Obviously those voltages and current draws could be handled by LT3045 with ease. The only catch would be finding a high quality source of power for this particular one, maybe we could ask Sean Jacobs to whip something up?

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/docs/community_docs/leonvb-Placid_HD_2.1_Guide_V1.0.pdf

The Mercury requires ±15VDC (bipolar) power supplies.

Finally we just need to find a quality U.FL to U.FL cable for directly connecting an isolated clock output from sCLK-EX to Buffalo IIISE DAC board.

8 minutes ago, oilpaint said:

@austinpop On the cybershaft clock - do you think Kenji is coming up with something that will retrofit an existing single connection into multiple clock connections? I have a OP-13 but have a need for more than on connection.

That is the impression I got, but I have no concrete data. I've sent him a note asking him to clarify whether he intends to offer a standalone signal distributor. I'll post here once I learn more.

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:27 AM, Johnseye said:

That is worth 1000 words.  Thank you!

Where did you get your braid?

John

Recently I purchased a 2M - Canare L-4E6S, Premium Balanced Quad XLR Microphone Cable .

I cut a 2 feet length from it , with the shield left open at both ends, and compared it against a similar length of 2 core mains cable at the output of my JLH PSU add-on before taking it further with the extra wire to both ends of the shield.

I lost most of the 3D effect on better than average Quad Reel to DVD-A stereo downmixed material, so I didn't bother taking  the final step.

I was using a 12V 15,000mAH Li Ion battery into a JLH PSU add-on to power a USB memory stick via an Uptone USB Regen.

I believe that the gauge of wire used in the microphone lead was way too thin to compensate for the much lower resistance of the same length of power cord.

What I am suggesting here is that for best results you may need to use heavier gauge wire Quad leads.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

On 12/2/2018 at 4:23 PM, d_elm said:

The shield goes on top of the existing cable, is not connected to anything, and solder an insulated wire, around 20 AWG or thicker, at each end one or two spirals down the outside of the shield.  Then add a sleeve on top of the shield.  Ends of shield and slieve are secured with heat shrink.  1/2" braid and shield can be installed over an ethernet connector.  If one connector is not installed 1/4" braid and sleeve can probably be used.

DSCF5026.jpg

DSCF5030.jpg

DSCF5031.jpg

DSCF5032.jpg

Does this cable comes already with this treatment? it is the ET02 Belden 1303E CAT6A Metz Ethernet(JSSG) Cable

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

John

Recently I purchased a 2M - Canare L-4E6S, Premium Balanced Quad XLR Microphone Cable .

I cut a 2 feet length from it , with the shield left open at both ends, and compared it against a similar length of 2 core mains cable at the output of my JLH PSU add-on before taking it further with the extra wire to both ends of the shield.

I lost most of the 3D effect on better than average Quad Reel to DVD-A stereo downmixed material, so I didn't bother taking  the final step.

I was using a 12V 15,000mAH Li Ion battery into a JLH PSU add-on to power a USB memory stick via an Uptone USB Regen.

I believe that the gauge of wire used in the microphone lead was way too thin to compensate for the much lower resistance of the same length of power cord.

What I am suggesting here is that for best results you may need to use heavier gauge wire Quad leads.

Regards

Alex

I'll be trying it around my USB cable to start. It's interesting that it had such a profoundly negative effect on your sound.

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

That is the impression I got, but I have no concrete data. I've sent him a note asking him to clarify whether he intends to offer a standalone signal distributor. I'll post here once I learn more.

I did hear back. Yes, he plans to offer a stand-alone signal distributor. That chassis will be the same size as OP14.

Beyond that no further details, but hopefully we will learn more in the next 2-3 months.

42 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Yes, he plans to offer a stand-alone signal distributor. That chassis will be the same size as OP14.

Yay, another box!  It does sound like it will leverage your investment in the Cybershaft.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Hi, i just pull the trigger on a Yggy DAC and i am wondering if any on this forum know what DCC would be best for convering from USB to AES.

I have read that Yggy is best with AES input

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

1 minute ago, Cooler said:

The best is berkeley usb converter :) 

Thanks Cooler, is there any other less expensive, how about the SOtM dX-USB HD, is it good for that?

Hmm, i didnt know they had such a product. 

I read about (didnt hear in person) Singxer SU-1 is good for its money, and the cheapest is Gustard u12, i had it as a temp solution before i got berkeley, i would say its ok for that money, but not in high level setup for full time :)

ps. you have Bricasti M5, which has AES, why you need additional box then?!

dCS Network Bridge | Audio Note DAC2 Signature | Audio Note M5 Preamp | Audio Note Empress Silver Monoblocks | Audio Note AN-E/Spe HE Speakers

47 minutes ago, Cooler said:

Hmm, i didnt know they had such a product. 

I read about (didnt hear in person) Singxer SU-1 is good for its money, and the cheapest is Gustard u12, i had it as a temp solution before i got berkeley, i would say its ok for that money, but not in high level setup for full time :)

ps. you have Bricasti M5, which has AES, why you need additional box then?!

I don't have the M5 anymore, i just can't take it out from my profile, i have tried it