IGNORED

Article: Mytek Brooklyn DAC / Preamp Review

Interesting. Only one clock at 100Mhz? I thought using separate clocks for each sample rate family was the best way to do it?

There's no such thing as a "best" way to do anything in HiFi. Separate clocks for 44.1 and 48 can be better than a single clock, but I think one must look at the entire product as a whole.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

There's no such thing as a "best" way to do anything in HiFi. Separate clocks for 44.1 and 48 can be better than a single clock, but I think one must look at the entire product as a whole.

I get it but the DAC chip must be running ASRC or similar PLL which introduces some jitter. While ESS probably does it better than most, I can't help but wonder if it could be better with dual clocks.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Hi 57gold - Manhattan or Brooklyn?

Sorry, wrong borough.

Brooklyn.

Been thinking about a Manhattan II...have enjoyed my DSD 192 since receiving it shortly after I started the long thread - Firewired to a 2012 Quad Core Mini HQPlayer up converting to DSD128.

Tone with Soul

It's a very tempting machine and glad to finally see the review. But the dealbreaker for me is unlike some other DAC/Pre it does not support USB HID volume control, and I would miss the usefulness of that too much. Can't understand why they didn't, given that the chip supports it......

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

Chris, thanks for nice review. Two comments. A friend and long time audiophile with a high end analog system was very impressed with the phono inputs of the Brooklyn. Also, powering the Brooklyn with a fast linear external power supply delivers a more open and dynamic presentation and is a truly worthwhile upgrade.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I had to go on my pc to read it...

I did buy this for all the options for now and the future....

I haven't regretted a second with this Mytek....

Easy to forget some products are just good and it's ok not to have that 0.001% extra.......

I have though learned a lot here and made the best of what I have invested in..

Now I have an isolation transformer, A DC filter and RF filter..and a linear transformer....Before the Mytek I didn't even know what they were......

The Mytek Brooklyn brings my music to life even before the fancy addon's..

I'd like to think I have brought it near to thier flagship Manhattan....

This has been a journey as well as a purchase ...learning from great, funny and knowledgeable people...

Free extras you can't buy...

Thanks for the Review and the good times here..

Kind regards and Happy xmas

Dave☺

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Hi guys, a silly question here (I've tried to go through the online material so apologies in advance) but does the Brooklyn up-sample all digital inputs to DSD128 the way the PS Audio DirectStream DAC (example only) does?

I know there's a massive price difference between the two, but just wanted to understand this part.

Much appreciated in advance :-)

EDIT: doing some reading on the Manhattan II, it seems this is the model that does upsampling to DSD (DSD256) on all digital inputs, the way the PS Audio DirectStream DAC does to DSD128. Those 2 products are much closer in price too.

Hi guys, a silly question here (I've tried to go through the online material so apologies in advance) but does the Brooklyn up-sample all digital inputs to DSD128 the way the PS Audio DirectStream DAC (example only) does?

I know there's a massive price difference between the two, but just wanted to understand this part.

EDIT: doing some reading on the Manhattan II, it seems this is the model that does upsampling to DSD (DSD256) on all digital inputs, the way the PS Audio DirectStream DAC does to DSD128. Those 2 products are much closer in price too.

I am not sure, but regardless of upsampling or not: just listen. If it makes your boat float, buy it... Our try Ps audio Jr, auralic vega, Chord Hugo, t+a dsd 8, Schiit, Ifi....

Sent from my D6633 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I think you are misinformed about all 3 DACs. The DirectStream doesn't upsample inputs to DSD 128, it does something else entirely, upsampling everything to 10X DSD rates.

The Mytek DACs also don't automatically upsample to DSD 128. You CAN upsample to DSD 256 if you choose. You don't have to upsample at all. Where are you getting this?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I think you are misinformed about all 3 DACs. The DirectStream doesn't upsample inputs to DSD 128, it does something else entirely, upsampling everything to 10X DSD rates.

The Mytek DACs also don't automatically upsample to DSD 128. You CAN upsample to DSD 256 if you choose. You don't have to upsample at all. Where are you getting this?

Hi mate, yes I could very well be misinformed, hence my "apologies in advance".

Regarding the Brooklyn I already added the edit to agree there's no upsampling.

Regarding the Manhattan II, this is from the manual: "Internal Hardware Upsampling to DSD256: Any digital signal can be upsampled to DSD256 for superior DAC chipset performance"

Regarding the PS Audio DirectStream DAC, is saw this comment "The DS converts all fed to it into DSD128." here: PS Audio DirectStream (DS) DAC — Audiophilia

Sincere apologies again for my confusion! I've only just started looking at these DSD Dacs, so I'm just trying to get my head around it, hence my questions (silly ones)

Cheers :-)

Hi mate, yes I could very well be misinformed, hence my "apologies in advance".

Regarding the Brooklyn I already added the edit to agree there's no upsampling.

Regarding the Manhattan II, this is from the manual: "Internal Hardware Upsampling to DSD256: Any digital signal can be upsampled to DSD256 for superior DAC chipset performance"

Regarding the PS Audio DirectStream DAC, is saw this comment "The DS converts all fed to it into DSD128." here: PS Audio DirectStream (DS) DAC — Audiophilia

Sincere apologies again for my confusion! I've only just started looking at these DSD Dacs, so I'm just trying to get my head around it, hence my questions (silly ones)

Cheers :-)

From the Direct Stream DAC page at PS Audio (not from a secondary source):

To handle this properly DirectStream utilizes 66-bit fixed-point FIR filters, eliminates headroom issues common to PCM, flattens noise response in the 20-100kHz region, uses coefficients optimized for best sound rather than faster processing speed and optimizes hardware-specific operations not possible in software. Unlike other processors available today, DirectStream unifies all inputs (PCM or DSD) at 10 x DSD, then uses a true single-bit double-rate DSD core engine.

http://www.psaudio.com/directstream-dac/

And again, with Mytek, the DACs can upsample to high rate DSD, but that is a setting, not a default topology. User choice if it is on or not, unlike the DirectStream. which does upsample everything.

The 2 companies use very different approaches: Mytek uses ESS chip, PS Audio is using no DAC chip, but upsampling to 10X DSD thru a proprietary FPGA (HW programmed with proprietary software). Doesn't really matter, you just have to be careful when reading the jargon and making comparisons. Marketing speak does make it confusing. In the end, the tech doesn't matter, what matters is how it sounds.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thks Chris, nice review and the short, readable paragraphs.....

Agree with the sentiment. Great contrast to the stuff on 6 Moons, which is unreadable...lots of noise, no substance and endless babble.

So, with all the clarity you bring to the table, can you provide any comparison to the Aurilic, Ayre, Exasound or any of the other players in the same ballpark?

Tone with Soul

So, with all the clarity you bring to the table, can you provide any comparison to the Aurilic, Ayre, Exasound or any of the other players in the same ballpark?

That's a really tough call. The only similar component I had here to compare was the Audio Alchemy. I haven't had either Auralic or Ayre in here for a long time. I had the exaSound in here not that long ago, but without a direct comparison I really don't want to mislead anyone.

Sorry 57 :~(

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

That's a really tough call. The only similar component I had here to compare was the Audio Alchemy.(

Well, that's good company. Which would you pick?

I had very good impression with the Audio Achemy with headphones, and I am still curious of what it can do on the main system.

Chris,

I would maybe like to acquire 3 Brooklyns or maybe 2 +1 DSD for the surrounds to implement a multichannel system. You mentioned multichannel briefly in your review. Is that configuration something you can recommend? Is the word clock synch between the machines sufficient to drive a jitter-free operation?

Thanks, good job

jjk

jjk