IGNORED

Article: Mytek Brooklyn DAC / Preamp Review

• 4 months later...

Nice review:  I suspect the Brooklyn's arc-styled/3-D like? 'sound-staging' referenced must indeed be considered the more accurate. The simple "stereo" we enjoy is often no more than than slight amplitude (and phase) differences between channels. That we can enjoy considerable variances in that signal (enabling width, depth and even acoustic height listening interpretations) relies on the sophistication of the reproducing equipment , specifically a circuits ability to track nuances in the signal that gives rise to even greater "dimensionality" --as you referenced in the review.   

That some equipment betters others in this regard  is testament to (in part) vanishingly low circuit noise-distortion and high-speed/slew-rate circuits.    

It's a shame Mytek doesn't see fit to dispense with the Analog "IN", headphone jacks and volume attenuation circuits in exchange for superior performance. 

As it is however, it does offer up quite the mix of features and performance as you correctly point out. 

pj

• 1 month later...

Some questions ragarding using the volume control with the brooklyn dac. 

My settings now are analog vol -25 using a GATO 150 amplifier to ajust the volume. This is ok, but if I bypass the vol on the dac, it becomses far to high on the amplifier!

Would it help to put in those four jumpers or?

Is bypassing the vol in the the best way (best sound) or is it ok to use -25  vol in the dac?

And what is the difference soundwise between digital or anlogue vol?

Mytek recommendations --forwarded to Micahl:

Introduce/produce the following:

1) "Brooklyn" DAC:

a) Strip the unnecessary phono, headphone, volume, utilize te replacement ESS 9028-chip, and retail for $1,499.00

b) Offer a Brooklyn "Lite" with phono, headphone, volume etc. (utilizing old 9018-chip) and selling at/under $1K.

c) In the same chassis (as Brooklyn) offer up a stellar linear power supply (with various output voltages to enahance utility), sell between $300-$500.

Or slight variations on the above.

peter jasz

On 6/11/2017 at 3:47 PM, labjr said:

I'd like to see a minimalist version with a ES9038 Pro DAC chip, great clocking, a great headphone amp.and linear supply in one box for under $1,500. Throw out all the fluff and fancy lights.

labjr: Yes. But also dispense with the headphone jack; ESS 9028 is the "drop-in" replacement (for 9018). A DAC ONLY "Brooklyn" --with superior p/s.

(ESS-9038 would surely have to be investigated from scratch having unique architecture.)

pj    

• 1 month later...

These had a small corner, no booth or room, on Munich show.

There were no speakers, the only way to listen was via headphones.. 

Anyway, after an hour looking after them, eventually I found them and brought with me a gang of audiophiles with quite serious systems, and said - 'this is thing!'

To my surprise, the sound was so.. I don't know what to say.. my son's Schiit 200$ system sounds more resolving, deeper, more precise, and more touching.

Disappointing..