IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

This was a cardboard reinforced shipment and it did not work either so that idea is out. This process is the process, but the shipping method is a subject to change. 

no Cardboard used for this shipment - it was just the card in a little bag, with a letter in regular envelope.

When you get a new card from Amazon etc, they tend to be packaged up in a plastic carrier, with a branded cardboard wrapper around them (see photo), then Amazon packs them in a stout envelope to go through the mail.

You need a padded envelope to cushion against the rollers used in the sorting and delivery offices, and some sort of carrier for the delicate SD card, if you going to continue with a physical delivery process for the major upgrades.

I know it adds to the fulfilment process, in terms of additional packaging & shipment costs, but there seems to quite a high number DOA and then quite a rate of cards failing later on in the field, causing customer grief.

Happy to procure a high quality Class 10, U3, A1 App type card, and use Etcher to write a downloaded disk image, as I do with dietPi or Roon ROCK for these releases.

Then you don’t have this problem.

Simon

BE9C0A2F-B4E1-4800-9657-32217B3CF30B.jpeg

8 hours ago, vortecjr said:

For us having the customer burn the images is a no go for many reasons and we prefer to control the process. This a huge update and you can’t just update to it as usual. 

Not burning images, but the software directly updating itself. Not possible?

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

10 minutes ago, quark said:

Black box😎
actually just ship them inside an Opticalrendu, That should protect them 😉

I was actually considering that route, not so sure now.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

As a long term user of “Rendus”, I find being forced to buy firmware distasteful.

i can purchase a 16gb micro SD card. I can put the files on the card. I can load the card in the Rendu.  It’s at most a $5 card.

Reraum

MPC power cable->2010 Mac Mini->jitterbug>Cardas clear usb cable->Ayre QB-9 DSD dac>kimber hero->passlabs Xp-20 preamp->kimber heros->pass labs X150.8>linn k400 speaker cable->infinity intermezzo 2.6 (with R.A.B.O.S.)->REl G-2 , Amarra as my player

Shunyata triton...Shunyata power cables..

41 minutes ago, mtcs said:

I'm curious, has anyone has heard an SQ difference with 2.8 on an ultraRendu? Thanks.

It's hard to say for sure as a meaningful direct comparison is impossible. Nevertheless, using MPD for playback, I think the sound has improved, but don't expect anything dramatic. No complaints about SQ from me. Roon sounds the same, unfortunately.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

11 minutes ago, Axiom05 said:

It's hard to say for sure as a meaningful direct comparison is impossible. Nevertheless, using MPD for playback, I think the sound has improved, but don't expect anything dramatic. No complaints about SQ from me. Roon sounds the same, unfortunately.

At least it isn't worse. Thanks.

6 hours ago, reruam said:

As a long term user of “Rendus”, I find being forced to buy firmware distasteful.

i can purchase a 16gb micro SD card. I can put the files on the card. I can load the card in the Rendu.  It’s at most a $5 card.

Reraum

We don't force anything on anyone and the card is only a small fraction of the total cost of doing this update.  

6 hours ago, Matias said:

The cost is not about the card, is about the work involved to prepare the new version.

It is like paying for a new version update of a software. And the former version still works so we are not forced to upgrade.

This card will also get regular updates for free as things come up.

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

This card will also get regular updates for free as things come up.

Can you explain what are "regular updates" and what are "not regular", please?

opticalRendu is my first Rendu. I like the product, but paid firmware updates is quite a surprise to me. I was never charged for new iOS or OS X version, because I've already paid for Mac or iPhone. Can't say that thirty bucks would make any difference for me, but I am shocked by this attitude.

3 minutes ago, Tihon said:

Can you explain what are "regular updates" and what are "not regular", please?

opticalRendu is my first Rendu. I like the product, but paid firmware updates is quite a surprise to me. I was never charged for new iOS or OS X version, because I've already paid for Mac or iPhone. Can't say that thirty bucks would make any difference for me, but I am shocked by this attitude.

For example if RoonReady is updated. 

8 hours ago, mtcs said:

I'm curious, has anyone has heard an SQ difference with 2.8 on an ultraRendu? Thanks.

Not really but the point here is to make the OS compatible with several apps updates now and in the future. So I am quite comfortable.

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

“The cost is not about the card, is about the work involved to prepare the new version.

It is like paying for a new version update of a software. And the former version still works so we are not forced to upgrade.”

Well that’s true, if it works...

When I read the ad from SGC for the upgrade it says it fixes Spotify connection issues...

Well guess what.. Spotify connect doesn’t work in my system with 2 generations of Rendus...original and now an optical...

That’s ok for me but my wife uses Spotify.

So once again the bad taste.  It’s advertised as doing Spotify connect and it doesn’t.

Now an upgrade comes along that fixes something it was supposed to do and I have to pay $30 for it?

Sorry but that doesn’t seem right.

MPC power cable->2010 Mac Mini->jitterbug>Cardas clear usb cable->Ayre QB-9 DSD dac>kimber hero->passlabs Xp-20 preamp->kimber heros->pass labs X150.8>linn k400 speaker cable->infinity intermezzo 2.6 (with R.A.B.O.S.)->REl G-2 , Amarra as my player

Shunyata triton...Shunyata power cables..

I received today a new opticalrendu SD 2.8 card, as a replacement for a previous bad card which did not boot. The new card boots, and was carefully set up using the exact same settings as used on my previous SD2.7 card, and making sure all setings were properly saved. The new card is correctly seen in SonicOrbiter.com .

The orendu is powered by a SGC 7V/50W LPS, and connected by USB to a SimAudio Moon 780D dac.

I am however running into a new set of problems. With SD 2.8 installed and streaming a local DSD 128 track through Roon .the track plays for about 2-3 minutes, then the orendu simply shuts off. After disconnecting the orendu and powering it on again, the red led at the back stays on constantly, and the orendu eventually shuts off.

If I reinstall the SD 2.7 card, the same track plays without any problems.

If I remove the SD 2.7 card and reinstall the SD 2.8 card, I note that I have no problem playing (through Roon) a 176/24 version of the track. Trying again to play the DSD128 version produces the same problem as before: the orendu shuts off after a couple of minutes and refuses to boot anymore after a disconnect/reconnect sequence.

I have attached screenshots of my RoonReady settings in SonicOrbiter, and in Roon Device setup.

In summary:

- The issue occurs only with SD 2.8 card

- The issue occurs only with DSD 128 tracks. I did not try with DSD 64 tracks. I could not try with DSD256 and DSD 512, because my DAC limits me to DSD 128/DOP.

- This issue can be replicated at will on my system

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will be glad to contribute any needed information.

SonicOrbiter RoonReady settings.jpg

Roon Device Setup.jpg