IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

On 2/7/2020 at 10:20 AM, jcn3 said:

all of the information/data lives on the card -- nothing is in the hardware.  you can't mess up anything by trying the card in the other rendu.

I'm a little surprised at the number of people that think I should mess with my working unit in order to further test the one that did not upgrade. I already know what is wrong, the new 2.8 card is either defective or damaged. No further testing required. The cards are cheap enough that I don't feel the need to jump through any more hoops to get Sonore to replace it. Hopefully the new one will be shipped in something more substantial than a letter sized envelope but it is what it is.

5 hours ago, daverich4 said:

I'm a little surprised at the number of people that think I should mess with my working unit in order to further test the one that did not upgrade. I already know what is wrong, the new 2.8 card is either defective or damaged. No further testing required. The cards are cheap enough that I don't feel the need to jump through any more hoops to get Sonore to replace it. Hopefully the new one will be shipped in something more substantial than a letter sized envelope but it is what it is.

You did say, "Can someone help me out?" Anyway, you have an issue which may require you to send the unit in. Knowing if the card boots with a different card known to boot will tell what we need to know. Taking a hard stance may delay resolving your issue because a new card may not be your issue.

Just received 2.8 card for my Signature Rendu SE optical. 2.7 worked flawlessly. Turned off power to rendu, unplugged, removed 2.7 and replaced with 2.8 card. Powered back up. Went to Roon settings, audio, no rendu found. Going to sonicorbitor website, try to manage, but no connection to the server. Replaced 2.7 card, everything works fine. Card doesn’t look cracked or broken. Next steps?

8 hours ago, lxgreen said:

Just received 2.8 card for my Signature Rendu SE optical. 2.7 worked flawlessly. Turned off power to rendu, unplugged, removed 2.7 and replaced with 2.8 card. Powered back up. Went to Roon settings, audio, no rendu found. Going to sonicorbitor website, try to manage, but no connection to the server. Replaced 2.7 card, everything works fine. Card doesn’t look cracked or broken. Next steps?

Did you receive more than on card? One worked and then be did not?

Roon is not a good indicator of things working because a new operating system will require you to enabling things again in Roon / Settings / Audio Device.

1 hour ago, Mercman said:

The USPS feels that I should stick with 2.7. My new card arrived cracked yesterday. They bent the cardboard protector in half just to teach me a lesson. 

B92718D1-9A06-4F85-8D10-E9468A7BA99A.jpeg

I think I know how to Edison felt. No worries are just as determined to get this right. we 

Andrew was kind enough to make an installation video. Notice that the unit does not have power connected during this process. Also, the card must click. The spring in the assembly provides a little bit of resistance until it click and latches hold the card in place. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtSc8rw9RQ4

4 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Did you receive more than on card? One worked and then be did not?

Roon is not a good indicator of things working because a new operating system will require you to enabling things again in Roon / Settings / Audio Device.

I received a 2.8 card from SGC. didn’t realize Adrian was going to send SE owners one for free but haven’t received that one yet, I can’t enable in Roon because Roon doesn’t see it in settings/audio. With 2.7 Roon does see it.

55 minutes ago, lxgreen said:

I received a 2.8 card from SGC. didn’t realize Adrian was going to send SE owners one for free but haven’t received that one yet, I can’t enable in Roon because Roon doesn’t see it in settings/audio. With 2.7 Roon does see it.

Hi, Here are some instructions to use for Signature Rendu SE owners.  With the Signature powered up and on the Network (working with 2.7 that is), open the sonic orbiter.com web interface, and click on the Signature to "manage" it.  Go to "system" and click on power down.  Wait for the Signature to shut off, when the green light on the back panel is OFF, turn off the switch on the back panel (this switch removes all power from the main board, there is no need to unplug, just make sure the switch is "off").  Carefully remove the 2.7 card from the unit, and install the 2.8 card, making sure it "clicks" into place, take your time, and be sure it is properly seated (it can be a little tricky, if you are not sure, wait until you are and feel the click of it seating properly).  Now turn "on" the switch on the rear panel of the Signature.  Be patient, wait for the unit to boot up.  The light on the back panel will start out red, after some time it will turn orange, and finally it will turn green.  Once the back panel light is green, open sonicorbiter.com again and click on the Signature to manage it.  Go to "apps" and click on software update, wait, when the update is complete, go back to the home page, and then go to software update again, and run the process again.  Yes, run software update twice.  When the update is complete, go back to "system" and click on power down.  Wait until the unit is powered down from sonicorbiter, then turn "off" the switch at the rear panel of the Signature.  Wait  for a few seconds, and then turn the Signature on from the back panel switch.  Wait while it boots; when the rear panel light is green you should be good to go.  

If it hangs and the rear panel light stays red, wait a bit longer, if it still does not go orange and then green, turn the switch off, wait ten seconds, and turn on again.  If it still does not go green (be patient, the boot process can take awhile), then you may have a bad SD card.

With ROON, remember you will have to go to "settings"-"audio"- in ROON to enable the Signature, and ROON will not see the Signature unless it is connected to the DAC and the DAC is powered up.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, barrows said:

Hi, Here are some instructions to use for Signature Rendu SE owners.  With the Signature powered up and on the Network (working with 2.7 that is), open the sonic orbiter.com web interface, and click on the Signature to "manage" it.  Go to "system" and click on power down.  Wait for the Signature to shut off, when the green light on the back panel is OFF, turn off the switch on the back panel (this switch removes all power from the main board, there is no need to unplug, just make sure the switch is "off").  Carefully remove the 2.7 card from the unit, and install the 2.8 card, making sure it "clicks" into place, take your time, and be sure it is properly seated (it can be a little tricky, if you are not sure, wait until you are and feel the click of it seating properly).  Now turn "on" the switch on the rear panel of the Signature.  Be patient, wait for the unit to boot up.  The light on the back panel will start out red, after some time it will turn orange, and finally it will turn green.  Once the back panel light is green, open sonicorbiter.com again and click on the Signature to manage it.  Go to "apps" and click on software update, wait, when the update is complete, go back to the home page, and then go to software update again, and run the process again.  Yes, run software update twice.  When the update is complete, go back to "system" and click on power down.  Wait until the unit is powered down from sonicorbiter, then turn "off" the switch at the rear panel of the Signature.  Wait  for a few seconds, and then turn the Signature on from the back panel switch.  Wait while it boots; when the rear panel light is green you should be good to go.  

If it hangs and the rear panel light stays red, wait a bit longer, if it still does not go orange and then green, turn the switch off, wait ten seconds, and turn on again.  If it still does not go green (be patient, the boot process can take awhile), then you may have a bad SD card.

With ROON, remember you will have to go to "settings"-"audio"- in ROON to enable the Signature, and ROON will not see the Signature unless it is connected to the DAC and the DAC is powered up.

Thanks Barrows. I followed your directions and green light never came on. When I switched back to 2.7 green light does go on. Bad card?

27 minutes ago, lxgreen said:

Thanks Barrows. I followed your directions and green light never came on. When I switched back to 2.7 green light does go on. Bad card?

Sounds like it.  I would use 2.7 until you get a new 2.8 card to try.  Contact Sonore directly and request a new card.  Meanwhile I would suggest enjoying music with 2.7.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

My opticalRendu played fine on 1.8 for a week (after the initial problems were resolved with multiple updates). Today it died again, forcing me to put the 1.7 chip back in. 1.8 still isn’t ready for prime time, at least not with the opticalRendu. 

What’s different this time is that typing “sonicorbiter.com” in a browser doesn’t bring up either the opticalRendu or my sonictransporter. They even both disappeared from the network until I rebooted the router. Now I can get music (Roon), but still cannot access either device on a browser. 

Any ideas?

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

16 hours ago, lxgreen said:

Go to Settings / RoonReady and press Save. Also, make sure the DAC is listed in Apps / DAC Diagnostics.

10 hours ago, Ultrarunner said:

My opticalRendu played fine on 1.8 for a week (after the initial problems were resolved with multiple updates). Today it died again, forcing me to put the 1.7 chip back in. 1.8 still isn’t ready for prime time, at least not with the opticalRendu. 

What’s different this time is that typing “sonicorbiter.com” in a browser doesn’t bring up either the opticalRendu or my sonictransporter. They even both disappeared from the network until I rebooted the router. Now I can get music (Roon), but still cannot access either device on a browser. 

Any ideas?

We have several hundred 2.8 cards in the field and we are watching them in service via sonicorbiter.com. Mechanical issues (cracked and people who can't find the hole) aside I currently have two open tickets. Anyway, your issue is unique in that an update on the Rendu cannot cause a router issue and a sonicTransporter because one thing has nothing to do with the other. If you have music but a no show on sonicorbiter.com all I can conclude is that your computer is on a different network locally. The first three sets of numbers in your IP addresses must be the same on all your devices. If you are using a cellphone you need to disable cellular data and enable wifi only and needs to connect locally.  

On 2/8/2020 at 6:36 PM, vortecjr said:

You did say, "Can someone help me out?" Anyway, you have an issue which may require you to send the unit in. Knowing if the card boots with a different card known to boot will tell what we need to know. Taking a hard stance may delay resolving your issue because a new card may not be your issue.

In for a penny, in for a pound. I thought as long as I was swapping cards I'd try them all.

I have two opticalRendus. One purchased as soon as they were available and a newer one that was a Christmas present so about 2 months old. The newer one is the unit that isn't working properly.

Both 2.7 cards work in both units.

Both 2.8 cards work in the older unit.

One 2.8 card worked for just over a day in the newer unit and then quit working. I'm not able to get it to work again.

The second 2.8 card has never worked in the newer unit and none of the suggestions here have helped.

As far as I can determine, all four cards work with the older unit.

Both 2.7 cards work with the newer unit but neither 2.8 card does.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, daverich4 said:

In for a penny, in for a pound. I thought as long as I was swapping cards I'd try them all.

I have two opticalRendus. One purchased as soon as they were available and a newer one that was a Christmas present so about 2 months old. The newer one is the unit that isn't working properly.

Both 2.7 cards work in both units.

Both 2.8 cards work in the older unit.

One 2.8 card worked for just over a day in the newer unit and then quit working. I'm not able to get it to work again.

The second 2.8 card has never worked in the newer unit and none of the suggestions here have helped.

As far as I can determine, all four cards work with the older unit.

Both 2.7 cards work with the newer unit but neither 2.8 card does.

Thanks.

I think in your case we should look at you sending in the units for us to get them working. 

Using an ultraRendu with SO 2.8 in MPD/DLNA mode and using Rigelian as MPD client. I just ran an update, the first since initially installing and updating with new card, and my MPD database was wiped out in the process. After the update Rigelian could find no albums so I had to rebuild the MPD database. This never happened with any other version of SonicOrbiter. Is this going to be the norm from here forward? If so, this is obviously a major pain and certainly not an improvement.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I got a mail from Andrew Gillis with the announcement of a new firmware, version 2.8, but I have to order it by Post. Is there a reason why? Further: I only use the MPD/DLNA Renderer and now I ask myself: is it a necessary upgrade in terms of sound quality and functionally in my Audirvana situation?

Sorry, I did miss a lot of the 2.8 part of this tread, so no questions asked, I have to read back and forth.

7 hours ago, Matias said:

Jesus, I always wondered why we need the physical microSD card at all. Would it be possible and much easier for us customers to buy the update, you unlock it to our serial number, it shows up as an update on Sonic Orbiter, and we just download it as with the other regular updates?

No card and shipping costs, no customs, no delays...

For us having the customer burn the images is a no go for many reasons and we prefer to control the process. This a huge update and you can’t just update to it as usual. 

4 hours ago, simon_pepper said:

After a trip through the US Postage service  and then international shipping for the last 2-weeks, this little SD card, just in a plain envelope with no protection, didn’t stand a chance.

Haven’t even tried, and don’t want to, seeing if it boots up in my UltraRendu. Even if it did, the chance of future failure is going to high.

Either a further 2-week wait for a replacement card, or is there a way of receiving/downloading the image file and writing to a new 16GB SD card, as I do for other releases which requires a new Kernel image e.g. Raspbian Buster/Stretch over Jessie?

thanks,

Simon

This was a cardboard reinforced shipment and it did not work either so that idea is out. This process is the process, but the shipping method is a subject to change.