IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

9 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Sure but why is it relevant?

12 hours ago, joelha said:

I just checked on my own PS3 and it won't rip a redbook disc using version .36.

So unless a more recent version can rip redbook, I'll have to assume, at least for now, that it can't be done.

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

5 hours ago, pl_svn said:
17 hours ago, joelha said:

I just checked on my own PS3 and it won't rip a redbook disc using version .36.

So unless a more recent version can rip redbook, I'll have to assume, at least for now, that it can't be done.

Right.  It can't be done because these are procedures to rip SACDs, not CDs.  One can say the same for this entire thread.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Guys - the question that was asked about ripping CD's and Blurays is why the pointer to use a PC and my original response are relevant.

Recent context is just as important as overall thread context as most people don't read an entire thread from the start when jumping in after 225+ pages of discussion.  Most (all??) of us who have been following this thread from the start obviously know that this process is only for SACDs.  Newcomers might somewhat reasonably jump to the conclusion that if it can rip SACD (which is really hard by comparison) that it can surely rip CD and Bluray as well since those are at least perceived to be easier (CD actually is, Bluray is easy until you worry about the encryption part of it...) until what this process is all about is explained a bit further.

• 1 month later...

So I had this all working well with a Mac mini, a USB drive, and a Sony 390.

Last time I ripped an SACD was about a year ago.

Since then I've upgraded the Mac OS to the current 12.6, but nothing else has really changed.

Same drive, same player, pretty much the same network.

I'm not aware that the Sony updated firmware, but I can check that.

Problem is now my Sony reports a "Segmentation fault" in response to the Telneted "./sacd_extract_160 -I" command.

I can log in fine; see the USB drive (and "ls" its contents); but the sacd_extract process fails.

Any ideas on what's gone wrong and how to fix it?

I tried to rip some SACDs I previously ripped successfully; they fail with the same error.

I searched the forum (and elsewhere) for "Segmentation fault) and didn't find anything useful.

There isn't updated firmware for the 590.

So its the same 590 player with the same firmware, the same USB drive, and the same script that worked before, except now it produces a Segmentation fault error, even with discs that previously could be ripped.

I can't see how updating the Mac OS would cause this, since the error is on the Blu ray player side.

Any thoughts or advice?

18 hours ago, Philo999999 said:

Actually the machine is a Sony 590; firmware is M12.R.0510, which hasn't been updated since last time I did this.

However, I think updated firmware is available. 

That firmware version works, and so does the updated version. EDIT: that is the updated version, and it works.

1 hour ago, Philo999999 said:

now it produces a Segmentation fault error, even with discs that previously could be ripped.

I can't see how updating the Mac OS would cause this, since the error is on the Blu ray player side.

Any thoughts or advice?

I've never seen that error at all in ripping SACD, though my Mac is still running 11.7 Big Sur, no problems there, however another variable is your use of Telnet. I use the Java-based GUI, and I'd be curious if in trying the GUI you get the same reported error.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I've been away from SACD ripping for a few years but just got a Sony BDP-S6500.  The unit seems fine, but things are not working as easily as the Pioneer (which broke a few years ago).  I believe I have everything in place, but the sequence of the Sony is different.  When the tray opens and I load the disc, I'm not aware of any display to see if it's recognizing the disc, and I can't eject the disc without hard powering first and then ejecting.  Also, I know I'm supposed to power down to sleep mode in order to rip on the Sony, and I believe I do that.  Nonetheless I can't rip, and get the error "libsacdread:  Can't stat /dev/cdrom No such file or directory". Any ideas?

Thanks,

Darryl

31 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

Hello,

I've been away from SACD ripping for a few years but just got a Sony BDP-S6500.  The unit seems fine, but things are not working as easily as the Pioneer (which broke a few years ago).  I believe I have everything in place, but the sequence of the Sony is different.  When the tray opens and I load the disc, I'm not aware of any display to see if it's recognizing the disc, and I can't eject the disc without hard powering first and then ejecting.  Also, I know I'm supposed to power down to sleep mode in order to rip on the Sony, and I believe I do that.  Nonetheless I can't rip, and get the error "libsacdread:  Can't stat /dev/cdrom No such file or directory". Any ideas?

Thanks,

Darryl

If you don't get a good answer, I'd try at the hifiheaven thread. They are very good with advice about specific units.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

14 minutes ago, firedog said:

If you don't get a good answer, I'd try at the hifiheaven thread. They are very good with advice about specific units.

Thanks.  I'm using the S6700 mod of the AutoScript from that site, and I prefer command line Windows with sacd_extract.  I did it for a few years before the Pioneer broke.  I don't like the Sony.  I played around with one last year and it was not intuitive like the Pioneer.

So it can't find /dev/cdrom on the Sony.  I recently did a rebuild of my Windows 10 machine and wonder if there is a legacy file transfer component I need in Windows.

On 11/2/2022 at 2:25 PM, Darryl R said:

So it can't find /dev/cdrom on the Sony. 

Try /dev/srX.

TLDR; I'm trying to use a Sony s5100 as a network drive.

Using a Sony s5100 and the master branch at https://github.com/EuFlo/sacd-ripper  I'm successfully ripping using the net daemon via -i192.168...  _BUT_, when I eject the disc the system reloads the initial "AutoRip" script on the USB causing an entire reset of things, which isn't ideal for me. I simply want the system to listen for and eject/open and when the eject/close is issued next, I want it to go into its sleep mode and let the rip happen. Also, off topic a bit, but I'm not sure how to update the sacd_extract inside the image (I see no code but I also see GPL 2.0 :-/).

I've edited the 2 supplied scripts a bit and got close. For some reason what seems like it should work causes a double eject to happen. When I remove 1 eject command to try and fix this, then the system never sleeps or goes into whatever run mode that allows it to rip :-(.

On 11/2/2022 at 11:30 AM, Darryl R said:

Hello,

Thanks,

Darryl

I hope you will get a response from the experts soon, but in the meanwhile....

I think the error (libsacdread:  Can't stat /dev/cdrom) indicates that the script didn't execute properly. Tray opens. Insert the disc and then press power. The tray closes and the display goes black (it's now asleep, Quick Start Mode On in settings). You then you should be able to access the drive. The most common reason I have found that the script won't run is that the thumb drive file system isn't compatible (FAT32 MBR). Try another thumb, and once you find one that works, always use that one.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/3/2022 at 8:04 PM, stereo hifi said:

I hope you will get a response from the experts soon, but in the meanwhile....

I think the error (libsacdread:  Can't stat /dev/cdrom) indicates that the script didn't execute properly. Tray opens. Insert the disc and then press power. The tray closes and the display goes black (it's now asleep, Quick Start Mode On in settings). You then you should be able to access the drive. The most common reason I have found that the script won't run is that the thumb drive file system isn't compatible (FAT32 MBR). Try another thumb, and once you find one that works, always use that one.

I've only just started with the few SACDs I have. I have a Pioneer BDP-170 and get the same error message as DarrylR. I've tried reformatting my USB stick with Quick format off and the method above turning power off as well as the original method. No luck either way. I'm on a laptop connecting wirelessly to my router and I've tried with both wireless and now wired connection to the BDP-170. I've used the IP address indicated by my router home page in both cases. Any help much appreciated please.

PS to my post above - using the command line below I don't get an error message but the command prompt pops up after a few seconds and there's no output file. I have pinged the address successfully.

sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.76:2002 -P -I ../Users/rossm/Music/LoveOverGold

4 hours ago, hrossm said:

I've tried reformatting my USB stick

There is typically no need to reformat the USB flash drive, however if you do,  just make sure it is either FAT32 or NTFS format, in either case with Master Boot Record partition scheme. 

It would help to see a screen shot of your AutoScript folder structure.

the method above turning power off

Only pertains to use of a Sony brand Blu-ray player, disregard that method (sleep-server) completely when using a Pioneer, you do not shut the machine off when using a Pioneer (nor any other brand Blu-ray player besides a Sony).

I'm on a laptop connecting wirelessly to my router and I've tried with both wireless and now wired connection to the BDP-170.

Windows, macOS, or Linux? Either wired or wireless will work assuming the computer and Blu-ray player are on the same subnet, and you've successfully completed the player's network setup steps using it's on-screen displayed menu.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

On 12/2/2022 at 12:53 AM, MikeyFresh said:

There is typically no need to reformat the USB flash drive, however if you do,  just make sure it is either FAT32 or NTFS format, in either case with Master Boot Record partition scheme. 

It would help to see a screen shot of your AutoScript folder structure.

Only pertains to use of a Sony brand Blu-ray player, disregard that method (sleep-server) completely when using a Pioneer, you do not shut the machine off when using a Pioneer (nor any other brand Blu-ray player besides a Sony).

Windows, macOS, or Linux? Either wired or wireless will work assuming the computer and Blu-ray player are on the same subnet, and you've successfully completed the player's network setup steps using it's on-screen displayed menu.

Thanks for the pointers.

It's Win10 on the laptop so a bit foreign to me. It's 20 years since I did much command line stuff, both Unix/Linux and WinXP/MS-Dos. Anyway I've attached as much info as I can think of. I assume the lack of a star on Disk2 in Diskpart means it's MBR?

When I power on the Pioneer the tray opens so I assume the disk is working.

Although the command line prompt has come back it sounds like the SACD is still spinning but I can't see anything in Task Manager to suggest the rip is in progress - little or no network activity and what there is seems to be down to Firefox. I'll let the disc carry on spinning for a while but I'm not hopeful.

It seems like there's just one little piece of the jigsaw puzzle out of place but I don't know how to find it - any more pointers will be gratefully received, thanks, Ross

Autoscript folder.JPG

Command.JPG

DiskPART.JPG

IPconfig.JPG

PioneerSetup-1.jpg

PioneerSetup-2.jpg

PioneerSetup-3.jpg

Thanks for the pointers.

It's Win10 on the laptop so a bit foreign to me. It's 20 years since I did much command line stuff, both Unix/Linux and WinXP/MS-Dos. Anyway I've attached as much info as I can think of. I assume the lack of a star on Disk2 in Diskpart means it's MBR?

When I power on the Pioneer the tray opens so I assume the disk is working.

Although the command line prompt has come back it sounds like the SACD is still spinning but I can't see anything in Task Manager to suggest the rip is in progress - little or no network activity and what there is seems to be down to Firefox. I'll let the disc carry on spinning for a while but I'm not hopeful.

It seems like there's just one little piece of the jigsaw puzzle out of place but I don't know how to find it - any more pointers will be gratefully received, thanks, Ross

Autoscript folder.JPG

Everything looks OK except for the version of the AutoScript folder you have, it appears by your screenshot you do not have the Pioneer-Sony version of the AutoScript, you have the Oppo version.

The Pioneer version of the script is evidenced by a _160 suffix on the sacd_extract file, named for the Pioneer BDP-160 for which that script was originally developed (it is also compatible with certain other player models from Sony and Yamaha).

It should look like this:

AutoScript-Win10.thumb.jpeg.eeaddf8d01b409fef949abb739700a89.jpeg

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

- any more pointers will be gratefully received, thanks, Ross

PioneerSetup-3.jpg

You'd probably also want to defeat the AutoPower Off setting as some rips can take longer than 20 minutes to complete. I don't remember anymore if the Pioneer units will actually shut off during a rip, but the later model Sonys definitely do.

The above won't likely matter if you only rip the stereo tracks directly to DSF as that takes more like 10-12 minutes (depending on the disc's total playtime) to rip, however if you rip both the stereo and MCH tracks that can easily exceed 20 minutes, your Pioneer might Auto Power OFF in those cases unless you alter that setting.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

10 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

You'd probably also want to defeat the AutoPower Off setting as some rips can take longer than 20 minutes to complete. I don't remember anymore if the Pioneer units will actually shut off during a rip, but the later model Sonys definitely do.

The above won't likely matter if you only rip the stereo tracks directly to DSF as that takes more like 10-12 minutes (depending on the disc's total playtime) to rip, however if you rip both the stereo and MCH tracks that can easily exceed 20 minutes, your Pioneer might Auto Power OFF in those cases unless you alter that setting.

Thank you for both posts, I'll get back on the case later this evening.

3 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Eureka, it works. Just a small usage issue to overcome please:-

This command line: C:\sacd_extract>sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.74:2002 -P -s ../Users/rossm/Music/LoveOverGoldSACD

Gives this file structure (not sure what I was expecting but track names would be ideal):-

image.png.568db18fd796acc06baf3fd0038139da.png

1 hour ago, hrossm said:

Eureka, it works. Just a small usage issue to overcome please:-

This command line: C:\sacd_extract>sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.74:2002 -P -s ../Users/rossm/Music/LoveOverGoldSACD

Gives this file structure (not sure what I was expecting but track names would be ideal):-

image.png.568db18fd796acc06baf3fd0038139da.png

I don't know, which version of sacd_extract.exe are you using on the PC side?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

5 hours ago, hrossm said:

I don't know but I've just searched for sacd_extract and found a GUI version here https://www.videohelp.com/software/sacd-extract

I'll give that a go.

The 0.3.9.3-107 executable is EuFlo's latest enhanced version, and the front-end tool SACDExtractGUI (Java 8 or later is required). That is exactly what I use on MacOS, Linux, and Windows.

No idea why whatever version of the executable you currently have isn't providing track metadata, but the above combination definitely will.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook