IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

37 minutes ago, BluRay444 said:

this would only work on Oppo 103-105's up to a certain firmware version?

Oppo 103D with latest available firmware here, and... SACD ripping works just fine

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

54 minutes ago, BluRay444 said:

Kit, you said you didn't read through the entire thread earlier (obviously that's a bit much for anyone to do at the current 227 pages)... did you happen to have read that this would only work on Oppo 103-105's up to a certain firmware version? That's important to know.

Does anyone remember what the last versions of firmwares are that allow SACD ripping are before a the firmware update blocked that capability? I haven't been able to find that ATM

Also, does anyone know if a factory default would do a silent firmware update?

Maybe you’re thinking of the Sony PS3? Those had to be downgraded to an old version of firmware in order to rip SACD, after Sony got wise to the fact they were be used for that purpose.

Kit,

The Oppo 103 will only output DSD from its HDMI#2 out.

If you are using HDMI#1 out from the Oppo it needs to be set to PCM or AUTO under- Setup > Audio Format Setup > SACD Output > PCM or Auto (auto will choose pcm). If it's set to DSD it will appear to be playing looking at the screen but there will be no sound.

Just a thought. 

5 hours ago, Kit Walker said:

I am very late to this topic, only being told recently my Oppo103d could rip SACD. I quickly tried and it worked like a charm. Didn't listen to any SACD titles for a while as I preferred to play the files from my NAS. However, just went to play a SACD and the Oppo is now not recognising the disk. No trouble with CD, DVD or Bluray disks. I can't think why unless it is related to the ripping I did. I followed the instructions provided at the time with a W10 laptop. I have reset the player to factory default with no improvemnt. I only use the Oppo occasionaly as a disk transport so didn't pick this up earlier. With 227 pages in this thread, its too much to go through to find any similar posts, so I am hoping if anyone has had any experience with this, they may be able to help. I'm not sure how or why the rip could have effected the Oppo, but its the only thing I can think of.

You state above that you "only use the Oppo occasionally as a DISK TRANSPORT...".  This implies that you are sending the audio out of the player via either a Toslink or coaxial spdif cable to your preamp.  If so, the Oppo will NOT play any audio from your SACD's due to DRM restrictions from Sony, but will allow you to play other audio such as cd's.  Try removing the digital cable and hooking the Oppo up with an analog rca cable and then see if that same SACD plays.

No, I know almost nothing about the PS3's, I started to look into them but then found this thread and I already had an Oppo 103 ( I don't know what differentiates that from a 103D- is that for the market in other than the US? If it's an upgraded model for the US market, I never heard of any versions later that the one I have (but I wasn't looking either). I was a pretty early adopter, I know when I found out about it I checked my firmware to make sure it was old enough not to be affected... I know the European Oppos had different firmwares that the US markets and people in the US were buying them from overseas. So maybe an update disabled it for a while in the US and it got re-enabled it in a later version... I know at the time it happened, once it was updated you couldn't downgrade it to an earlier firmware to get that ability back again  I always thought that after the word got out, Oppo got pressured by the SACD manufacturers to remove that exploit, maybe after Oppo dropped out of the disc player business they had no reason to have their market share be threatened anymore. After the 203 came out, I never used the 103 for anything but ripping SACDs, so no point in updating the firmware after that.

14 minutes ago, BluRay444 said:

Oh, the 103D is the Darbee Video Processing verson. Do they have their own firmware version independent of the original BDP-103's

I just checked the Oppo Support site and it appears the 103 and 103D share the same firmware with the latest being issued on Jan. 23, 2017 for both players.

Former Oppo beta tester here...

The 103D has Darbee processing and, yes, the 2 models share the same firmware as it auto detects which hardware is present.  Both the 103 and 103D were sold in the USA.  Different markets had slightly different firmware for regional differences.

There aren't any firmware version restrictions on getting the SACD rip functionality to work, so no worries about being upgraded to the latest firmware.

2 hours ago, tngiloy said:

Kit,

The Oppo 103 will only output DSD from its HDMI#2 out.

If you are using HDMI#1 out from the Oppo it needs to be set to PCM or AUTO under- Setup > Audio Format Setup > SACD Output > PCM or Auto (auto will choose pcm). If it's set to DSD it will appear to be playing looking at the screen but there will be no sound.

Just a thought. 

Hi, the thing is, the sacd disk is not recognized by the player, not that it plays but can't be heard. All other disk formats are recognized,  cd, DVD and bluray. It's only sacd disks this happens with.

2 hours ago, Redbeemer said:

You state above that you "only use the Oppo occasionally as a DISK TRANSPORT...".  This implies that you are sending the audio out of the player via either a Toslink or coaxial spdif cable to your preamp.  If so, the Oppo will NOT play any audio from your SACD's due to DRM restrictions from Sony, but will allow you to play other audio such as cd's.  Try removing the digital cable and hooking the Oppo up with an analog rca cable and then see if that same SACD plays.

Hi Redbeemer, I have the Oppo connected by RCA to a preamp. The player can play DVD and bluray just fine. It's just sacd that's not recognized.

6 minutes ago, Kit Walker said:

Hi, the thing is, the sacd disk is not recognized by the player, not that it plays but can't be heard. All other disk formats are recognized,  cd, DVD and bluray. It's only sacd disks this happens with.

Hence the suggestion to try ripping a SACD disc again.  If it's broken, trying to rip another one isn't going to "break it more", so it's worth trying.  Quite a few people have used their BDP-103's to rip SACD's without a single reported issue like you describe.  It's possible you just happened to have some sort of SACD hardware failure that happened to correspond to when you ripped your SACD discs.  These players are starting to get on the old side, so hardware failures are going to be more and more likely as time marches on.

1 hour ago, Redbeemer said:

I just checked the Oppo Support site and it appears the 103 and 103D share the same firmware with the latest being issued on Jan. 23, 2017 for both players.

The 103d played sacd just fine before I used it to rip sacd. It seems it has lost that functionality only since then

Just now, greynolds said:

What steps have you taken since?  Have you tried disconnecting the player from power for a few minutes?  Have you removed the USB stick that's needed for the SACD ripping process?  Anything else?

Yes, I disconnected, I have swapped around different format disks and no, I haven't left the USB stick attached. The only thing left to do is to do another rip, but since sacd is not recognized,  I'm not hopefull.

1 minute ago, Kit Walker said:

Yes, I disconnected, I have swapped around different format disks and no, I haven't left the USB stick attached. The only thing left to do is to do another rip, but since sacd is not recognized,  I'm not hopefull.

Well, give it a try.  The worst that can happen is it doesn't work...

1 hour ago, Kit Walker said:

The 103d played sacd just fine before I used it to rip sacd. It seems it has lost that functionality only since then

Which disc title is in question? Be specific with the details, or are you saying this player will no longer play any SACDs at all?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

1 hour ago, Kit Walker said:

I don't think you've specified exactly where you get the message that the discs aren't recognized. Can you post a screenshot?

Also, the SACD-rip-USB-stick isn't supposed to change anything about your Oppo. It just runs a script that starts a program off the stick. No settings, files or firmware on your player should be modified at all.

2 hours ago, MeiSh5am said:

I don't think you've specified exactly where you get the message that the discs aren't recognized. Can you post a screenshot?

Also, the SACD-rip-USB-stick isn't supposed to change anything about your Oppo. It just runs a script that starts a program off the stick. No settings, files or firmware on your player should be modified at all.

20230829_081633.jpg.4a3b0d8c7aea935c0b7b470906d901f6.jpg

10 hours ago, Kit Walker said:

Yes, I have tried half a dozen sacd, old and new. Same result.

I have thought of redoing a rip, but being unclear of the effect it may have, I have left that for the last thing to do.

I had a similar situation not long ago on my 105D. I replaced the laser pickup mechanism and everything worked as it should be. The laser pickup mechanism can be ordered from Aliexpress for less than $30 for my model. To the best of my knowledge, the 103 or 103D has 2 revisions. One with a twin-lens pickup and one with single-lens. You may have to open up the oppo to see for yourself and order the correct model.

9 minutes ago, hobbitz said:

I had a similar situation not long ago on my 105D. I replaced the laser pickup mechanism and everything worked as it should be. The laser pickup mechanism can be ordered from Aliexpress for less than $30 for my model. To the best of my knowledge, the 103 or 103D has 2 revisions. One with a twin-lens pickup and one with single-lens. You may have to open up the oppo to see for yourself and order the correct model.

Great. Thanks for the suggestion. With your 105d, was the situation the same, that your player could play some disc formats but not others?

3 minutes ago, jegreenwood said:

Does the Oppo use a different laser for SACDs (as opposed to other disc types)?

I see @hobbitz just raised a similar question.

Yeah, interesting point. I will have to search around. Perhaps the D version, because of enhanced video, is using a different laser structure.

1 minute ago, Kit Walker said:

Great. Thanks for the suggestion. With your 105d, was the situation the same, that your player could play some disc formats but not others?

Not quite the same, it would not read both Bluray and SACD disks (all in my collection). It played every CD and DVD perfectly.