IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

• 4 months later...
On 3/22/2019 at 8:58 AM, MikeyFresh said:

I think that link on Page 1 is once again stale, based on recent findings last month. Here is an up-to-date listing:

The following is an updated list of Blu-ray player brands/models known to be SACD rip compatible:

Sony brand compatible Blu-ray players:
BDP-S390 (also sold as BX39 in some markets)
BDP-S490
BDP-S590 (also sold as BX59 in some markets)
BDP-S4100
BDP-S5100 (also sold as BX510 in some markets)

BDP-S790 * (only with ARMv7 AutoScript version)

BDP-S6200 * (also sold as BX620 in some markets, only with ARMv7 AutoScript version)

BDP-S7200 * (only with ARMv7 AutoScript version)

Pioneer brand compatible Blu-ray players:
BDP-80FD
BDP-160
BDP-170

Oppo brand compatible Blu-ray players:
BDP-103 and 103D
BDP-105 and 105D

Cambridge brand compatible Blu-ray players:
Azur 752BD
CXU

Arcam brand compatible Blu-ray & CD/SACD players:
FMJ UDP411
FMJ CDS27

Primare brand compatible Blu-ray player:
BD32 MkII

Electrocompaniet brand compatible Blu-ray player:
EMP3

Does anyone know if this list is accurate or could be updated for 2024?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 7/20/2016 at 4:32 AM, ted_b said:

** And here is a similar link for the Pioneer players BDP-80FD/BDP-170 and BDP-160 (thanks to HiRezGuy)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/13mq5pihw0enoqy/SACD Image Creation Process for Pioneer BDP-80FD.txt?dl=0

on ted-b’s original post, page 1, there are some links to SACD rip instructions including the above for the Pioneer players.

Can anybody advise me if the above is still valid/ best, or maybe point me to the latest instructions to rip SACDs ? (I have the Pioneer BDP-170 unit)

(otherwise I am not sure I’m able to successfully search through the 230 pages that this thread now contains…)

thank you in advance for any pointers offered….

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

36 minutes ago, krass said:

在 ted-b 的原始帖子第 1 页,有一些指向 SACD rip 说明的链接,包括上面针对 Pioneer 玩家的说明。

谁能告诉我上述内容是否仍然有效/最好,或者可能指出我最新的说明来翻录 SACD?(我有 Pioneer BDP-170 装置)

(否则我不确定我是否能够成功搜索此线程现在包含的 230 页......

提前感谢您提供的任何指示......

The Pioneer BDP-160 is the best choice, it's easy to operate, and I've already used up two of them. Basically, Oppo's model and Pioneer's model are the most convenient, without any other special operations. I'm planning to buy a third one in the second-hand market, but my one is too cheap, less than 200RMB per one!

Hello folks, I ahve occasionally looked around the site, but have not posted in a long time. Life got in the way. I recently had triple bypass surgery which got me back to my stereo system just sitting here, and fired up to get back into it. 

So my question for now is, is the SACD back up still a hot on going thing ?

Are there any new or updated ways to do the process, since I first successfully didit in 2019/2020 , using the software I found out about and an old Pioneer Blu Ray ?

Did any reliable service become available to do this for you ?

Thanks,

Wayne

NAD M33, SGC SonicTransporter I5 GEN 3, w/ 2GB SSD drive as the storage and ROON CORE, with SGC CD Ripper,  Fiber Optic converter system, ROON.  Revel Performa 3 F208 Speakers, ROON, Grover Huffman EX speaker cables, and Bass Jumpers,  WD EX2 Red Drive NAS, Netgear Nighthawk Router, all streaming hardwired Cat6/7, no WiFi. Sony Blu-Ray for SACD backup, PS Audio Dectec to a dedicated 20 amp circuit, Custom Speaker covers, PS Audio Power, Signal Power .

Congratulations on your successful surgery Wayne. My father had this surgery (I think it was a quad) and recovered pretty quickly and had no further complications, and I hope your recovery progresses equally as well, if not better.

I'll leave it up to others who are more up-to-date on the subject to answer your questions. My Oppo has continued to work without issue for years so I only visit here occasionally when I get a notification of something interesting here.

Regards 

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure this is the right spot to ask but I'm having an issue with DSD2FLAC in that the transcodes are roughly equal in size to the DSD files extracted from an SACD disc. Historically, the conversions are closer to half the size of the DSD isles.

JAVA is current so if anyone has any ideas what I may be doing incorrectly, please let me know.

On 3/21/2024 at 8:14 PM, loop7 said:

I wasn't sure this is the right spot to ask but I'm having an issue with DSD2FLAC in that the transcodes are roughly equal in size to the DSD files extracted from an SACD disc. Historically, the conversions are closer to half the size of the DSD isles.

JAVA is current so if anyone has any ideas what I may be doing incorrectly, please let me know.

It isn't the spot, actually. This thread is dedicated to the ripping process. Just go to this page https://audiophilestyle.com/search/ and type "DSD2FLAC". You'll get plenty of search results. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys… long time member but been away. Returning to being a student meant I was on limited means so no chances to upgrade HiFi, etc. and just wandered away.

I’m excited that the Cambridge Audio 751BD has been added to the list as I still have my old player… has anyone managed to get it to work? Or possibly got the Oppo 93/95 working?

I think I got the right sacd_extract_95 script which I’ve put on a USB stick. If I insert it in the player (front connector), the tray opens which (I understand) indicates the script is working correctly? But if I put a disc in, then (as I read the instructions) press the off button the player drops off the network.

Alternatively, I’ve tried just closing the tray, when I do ./sacd_extract -i (ip_address):2002 -P (which i understand should get the disc details) i get an error message (iirc) Can’t read Master ToC.

Any ideas?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

56 minutes ago, Audio_ELF said:

But if I put a disc in, then (as I read the instructions) press the off button the player drops off the network.

That only applies to Sony brand Blu-ray players, all others use the regular open/close button to close the disc tray, only Sonys use the OFF button. 

Alternatively, I’ve tried just closing the tray, when I do ./sacd_extract -i (ip_address):2002 -P (which i understand should get the disc details) i get an error message (iirc) Can’t read Master ToC.

That suggests to me that it is not actually a Scarlet Book SACD you are trying to rip, or the disc is physically damaged and the Table Of Contents cannot be read.

I’m excited that the Cambridge Audio 751BD has been added to the list as I still have my old player… has anyone managed to get it to work? Or possibly got the Oppo 93/95 working?

Both are tested and known working, though with the 751BD the early firmware version that preserves SACD-R playback is not compatible with this ripping process, you'd need to update the player's firmware to make that unit compatible if it has the SACD-R compatible version and in so doing, you'd lose the ability to play SACD-R in gaining the ability to rip SACD.

Other details of that firmware difference are not known to me, you'd have to check the firmware revision history (if that still exists) with Cambridge Audio.

The only other requirement with Oppo/Cambridge players is that both the Auto-play and Auto-resume settings need to be defeated as they interfere with the ripping process (the player can't be trying to auto-do anything with the disc).

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Thanks Mikey… gives me hope. I just need to play around a bit more with a few more disks.

i don’t care about SACD-R so will check if i need to do firmware update.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

1 hour ago, Audio_ELF said:

Got it working (it appears - doing the first rip now).

I hadn't turned the auto-resume function off!!

Thanks again for the help Mikey!

would you care to share the steps you followed ? 

I posted a request a few weeks ago asking (anyone !) if they could point me at the latest instructions but didn’t get any replies. In the meantime I’m slowly working through the 230 pages of this thread and have some idea…. just not sure where to get the latest executables from etc and whether the original instructions in pages 1 are still valid..

help from anyone, eg with just pointing me at the right places to look, would be really appreciated !

PS: I have a Pioneer BDP-170 raring to go….. and a Mac.

thanks

1 hour ago, krass said:

would you care to share the steps you followed ? 

I posted a request a few weeks ago asking (anyone !) if they could point me at the latest instructions but didn’t get any replies. In the meantime I’m slowly working through the 230 pages of this thread and have some idea…. just not sure where to get the latest executables from etc and whether the original instructions in pages 1 are still valid..

help from anyone, eg with just pointing me at the right places to look, would be really appreciated !

PS: I have a Pioneer BDP-170 raring to go….. and a Mac.

thanks

Hopefully you haven't updated to macOs to 14.4, right now there is an unknown incompatibility with macOS 14.4 initially thought to be a Java issue, however even rips commenced from the CLI fail so it looks like some sort of new Apple permissions thing with use of unsigned apps.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

I'm bypassing my Mac and using a Linux command line to rip.

The two guides I used were — https://gist.github.com/YCHX/535b9a29ebe67b186ff4af83f4ed411b — for general details of the process and then — https://github.com/sacd-ripper/sacd-ripper — has the actual sacd-ripper programme you need to run on your computer.

The first link gave me this forum post — https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/page-2#post-69237 — (written by @MikeyFresh from this thread?) which gave me the correct files to download for to put on a USB stick for the player.

Also, in that first guide, ignore the steps 5 & 6, instead of putting a disc in and turning the player off, with my Cambridge Audio (which is essentially the same player as the Oppo 93/95 on the digital side) you put a disc in and close the tray using the 'eject' (open/close) button. The disc reads and (so long as you've turned off Auto Play and Auto Resume) can be accessed via the sacd-ripper programme (there is a GUI but I didn't use it).

I then type the command line

sacd_extract -i <ip address of player>:2002 -P

to view the details of the disc inserted, and

sacd_extract -i <ip address>:2002 -2 -m -s -o <output_folder>

Hope this helps.

Eloise

---

55 minutes ago, Audio_ELF said:

………

Hope this helps.

that is great !

thank you so much for taking the time to write it out for me (& others) 👍 

1 hour ago, Audio_ELF said:

I'm bypassing my Mac and using a Linux command line to rip.

The two guides I used were — https://gist.github.com/YCHX/535b9a29ebe67b186ff4af83f4ed411b — for general details of the process and then — https://github.com/sacd-ripper/sacd-ripper — has the actual sacd-ripper programme you need to run on your computer.

The first link gave me this forum post — https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/page-2#post-69237 — (written by @MikeyFresh from this thread?) which gave me the correct files to download for to put on a USB stick for the player.

Also, in that first guide, ignore the steps 5 & 6, instead of putting a disc in and turning the player off, with my Cambridge Audio (which is essentially the same player as the Oppo 93/95 on the digital side) you put a disc in and close the tray using the 'eject' (open/close) button. The disc reads and (so long as you've turned off Auto Play and Auto Resume) can be accessed via the sacd-ripper programme (there is a GUI but I didn't use it).

I then type the command line

sacd_extract -i <ip address of player>:2002 -P

to view the details of the disc inserted, and

sacd_extract -i <ip address>:2002 -2 -m -s -o <output_folder>

Hope this helps.

Well done, and for those who are uncomfortable with use of the command line, there is a GUI that allows for point and click, but it requires installation of the Java Runtime Environment as a prerequisite. SACDExtractGUI can be found here:

https://github.com/setmind/SACDExtractGUI/releases/tag/v0.1

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,  Happy user for many years but have just ran into a first.   I have an OPPO105D, Iso2dsd from 2016 on a Win 10 PC.   

Just purchased an SACD from Japan and starting my normal process.   The gui reads the disc, shows the track list and begins processing track 1.  It will not progress any further.   

I suspect the track names are too long but can’t confirm.  It is well over 100 characters long.   Is there anything I can do to circumvent this issue?  I have never used my MacBook for this but perhaps that might work?

tia

Craig 

Arthur Grumiaux Concertbouw Orchestra of Amsterdam Bern - Tchaikovsky Mendelssohn violin concertos (2)/01 - [repeats with track name added.]

1 hour ago, Crwilli57 said:

Guys,  Happy user for many years but have just ran into a first.   I have an OPPO105D, Iso2dsd from 2016 on a Win 10 PC.   

Just purchased an SACD from Japan and starting my normal process.   The gui reads the disc, shows the track list and begins processing track 1.  It will not progress any further.   

I suspect the track names are too long but can’t confirm.  It is well over 100 characters long.   Is there anything I can do to circumvent this issue?  I have never used my MacBook for this but perhaps that might work?

tia

Craig 

Arthur Grumiaux Concertbouw Orchestra of Amsterdam Bern - Tchaikovsky Mendelssohn violin concertos (2)/01 - [repeats with track name added.]

did read somewhere about using root folders so as to minimise the total length of the pathname… don’t know if that’s relevant for you/ might help ?

1 hour ago, Crwilli57 said:

tia

Craig 

That does appear to be the excessive file path issue for Windows, too much metadata. You can solve that by updating the sacd_extract.exe file to the latest EuFlo enhanced version here (scroll to the very bottom to reveal the assets)

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook